Apple looking to assist iOS developers with 'secret' summit - rumor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is said to be hosting an exclusive, secret three-day summit next week in California for iOS developers, in an effort to improve the quality of software on the App Store.

The event is believed to be a "more intimate version" of the iPhone Tech Talk World Tour that Apple held last year, according to Silicon Alley Insider. Developers will be granted time with Apple engineers, and may even receive hands-on help with their applications.

"The big idea, it seems, is an effort to improve the quality of iOS apps available in Apple's App Store," the report said. "This comes as Google's rival Android platform continues to look better to developers, and receives more of their attention and investment."

Little else is known about the alleged event, including how big it is, what the sessions will include, or even who is attending. It is believed the event has been timed in anticipation of the release of iOS 4.2 for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.

iOS 4.2 will mark the debut of iOS 4 and its new features, including folders and multitasking, on the iPad. It will also be the first time that the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch will all be running the same version of iOS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Apple TV apps?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    "Mr. Smith, we are providing you with prototype APIs that will enable this app to realize its full potential. These APIs will enable your iFart app to access the never before published capabilities of the embedded DSP to allow your app to generate Dolby 9.1 surround."
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Apple TV apps?

Very likely I would say.

I think this is really a non-story story.

Its obvious Apple does something like this before every release. With iOS 4.2 coming out, its very likely it will be devs upgrading their apps for 4.2 on the iPad, which Apple can demo at a live event if they decide to have one.

Or at least feature these apps on the App Store the day the new OS is released even if they don't have an event.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    A secret summit that nobody knows where when or who is going? Including developers?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

A secret summit that nobody knows where when or who is going? Including developers?

Chances are if you were a major developer you would know, I'm guessing. If everyone knew everything about it wouldn't be a secret conference, would it.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's not Apple TV apps. If it was Apple TV apps the story would have never gotten out. Apple are just trying to court developers because they realize how important the are. They aren't going to prevent devs for making stuff for other platforms, they are just trying to make it easier for them. Perhaps they are bringing in some high profile devs to listen to their needs.

For starters, they could bring in Marco Arment and listen to what he has to say. He has some specific requests that are yet to exist in the SDK. And he has some bugs to report they aren't getting the attention they deserve.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Shhh. Don't tell a soul...

Who gets the pop reference? You dorks...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Why would this be called "secret" as opposed to "private?" Doesn't "secret" imply that nobody knows about it (clearly not the case here), whereas "private" merely indicates that not everyone is invited to attend?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is said to be hosting an exclusive, secret three-day summit next week in California for iOS developers, in an effort to improve the quality of software on the App Store.

The first thing you do is boot out anything that farts or crashes.

The second is a bit more ominous. Perhaps smaller shops might not be so welcome going forward?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

The second is a bit more ominous. Perhaps smaller shops might not be so welcome going forward?

How do you figure? Some of the best apps available for iOS come from small shops. Focused, creative, and dedicated aren't qualities limited to the big boys.

Now if your'e talking about kitchen table apps motivated by the idea that perhaps there's a way to make some quick and dirty money in the App Store by cobbling together a low utility "pictures of pretty ladies" "App", then good riddance.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Apple TV apps?

Haha, I instantly thought the exact same thing.

Here's hoping we're right!

Quote:

Why couldn't "quality" mean "crashes less" or "makes more efficient use of memory" or "multitasks more smoothly".

Although, fewer apps about passing gas would be more than fine with me....
  • Reply 12 of 15
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    The first rule of secret Apple iOS developer summit is don't talk about secret Apple iOS developer summit.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Apple TV apps would be awesome.

At home I am running a Pentium 4 box as an internet TV. I have hulu, boxee and Firefox and I get pretty much everything I could ever want to watch with the exception of baseball/football ( I only watch if Chicago teams are doing well, which is not often).

If apple could bring Rev3, hulu, web browsing etc to the apple TV at $99 I would mostly likely throw out the giant P4 box. For now Google is too expensive and apple is too restrictive for me to get rid of it.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

If there was proof that this meeting exists and none of the 'smaller shops' are invited,then perhaps.

But for all we know, Apple is focusing on the existing developers of all levels for advanced work. Not stuff appropriate to neophytes that haven't even released their first app yet. So they aren't sending out a public announcement about this meeting. Just private invites to the currently registered developers with at least one actively selling app in the store.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    "secret summit" is sensationalism.

More like... "apple puts engineers in touch with top app developers"

They've always done this.