TSA clears Apple's 11-inch MacBook Air to stay in carry-on at airports

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Owners of Apple's new 11-inch MacBook Air will not have to remove the thin-and-light notebook from their bag at security checkpoints in U.S. airports, the Transportation Security Administration has announced.

TSA spokesperson Nicholas Kimball told CNN that the new 11-inch MacBook Air is small enough that it doesn't need to be removed from a bag when going through an X-ray machine at airport security. Larger devices, including the MacBook Pro, must be removed from a bag when being scanned so that TSA officials can get a closer look at the internal components.

"If someone has a lot of stuff in their bag, it's sometimes difficult to get a clear view of it," Kimball reportedly said. "It might need some additional screening."

TSA has not yet made a decision on the larger, 13-inch MacBook Air, which means travelers will likely have to take the notebook out of their bag for the time being. But the larger MacBook Air could be exempt in the future, because it also lacks an optical disc drive, as well as a traditional hard drive.

Apple's new 11.6-inch and 13.3-inch MacBook Airs were unveiled earlier this month, and the larger model weighs just 2.9 pounds. Both devices rely on flash memory for storage, making the hardware smaller and faster than a traditional laptop.

Earlier this year, when the iPad launched, TSA announced that fliers could leave their iPad in a carry-on bag when going through security. The minimal amount of components inside the iPad makes it easier for security officials to analyze in an X-ray machine.

Officials can, however, ask a traveler to remove their iPad, MacBook Air or any other electronic device if they cannot get a clear image of it in an X-ray scanner.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Sweet. Assuming the 13" still needs to be removed from the bag (and I don't know why the TSA would change their mind now since it's basically the same dimensions as earlier MBAs), that'll make the 11" a favorite among travellers. I hate having to take out my MBA while emptying my pockets and taking off my shoes. And one fewer opportunity for someone to make off with my laptop (apparently and surprisingly, it is pretty common at airports).
  • Reply 2 of 34
    This is the number one selling point for the 11in. Less hassle at the airport!
  • Reply 3 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Back in 2008 a flier was detained and missed his flight because the TSA monkeys couldn’t believe it was a real computer.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The problem now being that the TSA seems to entrust their policies to a random collection of jacked up lunatics who never got the memo. I can guarantee that trying to argue that the TSA has issued guidelines that contradict what they are ordering you to do will result in a cavity search.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Gawd I hate flying. Would love a MBA though!
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The problem now being that the TSA seems to entrust their policies to a random collection of jacked up lunatics who never got the memo. I can guarantee that trying to argue that the TSA has issued guidelines that contradict what they are ordering you to do will result in a cavity search.

I agree. In half the airports I've been at, I've been asked to take out the iPad (with the subsequent dressing-down "gee, can't your hea/read/follow instructions.... blah blah...."). This, despite the fact that the TSA has said the iPad can stay in the carry-on as well.

Now, I just pre-emptively take it out so as to avoid the likelihood of getting hassled.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    In fact I was wondering if I should get a MBA or one of the ultraportable PCs, and....

This may be a deterministic fact!!!!

I go through security checkpoint 3-4 times a month, and it is always painful to have to take out the laptop out of the bag.

I wonder why other PC mfr's did not come up with such advantages......
  • Reply 8 of 34
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Yep. They've given the TSA so much authority (TERROR! TERROR!) that most people know they could end up in some windowless cubicle undergoing enhanced interrogation if they look at anyone funny.

Interesting state of affairs, in that most sensible observers agree the whole thing is little more than Kabuki theater that does almost nothing to insure safety.

But, you know, THEY HATE OUR FREEDOM.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    I fly 2-4 times a week, 50% of the rime they make me take my kindle DX (much smaller device than MBA or iPad) out of the bag and scan it alone. I see them constantly remove iPads from peoples bags and the airport agents always tell them they must remove any electronic device that large from their bag. This happened to me as recently as last week even though the TSA made a similar announcement when the iPad was launched.

These TSA announcements appear to be completely worthless because they never follow them up with directives to the people in the field.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Not that I don't feel the pain of frequent fliers, but do you really expect TSA folks to be able to keep up on the various laptop permutations that you and I take for granted?

To most, a thing with a screen is a computer. The differences are not as obvious to the non-geek world as it is to us.

The fault lies in the kabuki show that is airport security, a performance designed to make everyone think security is being attended to, while actually only addressing last year's threats, doing nothing in reality.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    TSA lets me go through security with my MacBook Pro in my backpack. It unzips in the middle so you end up with it being the only item vertically inside the bag. Makes it so much easier to get through security with one less thing to unpack/pack.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

MacBook Shmacbook! I get stopped and jerked around because my name!!! Let alone a computer! MIne is apparently the same as someone on the no fly list. Since 2003 I get stopped, delayed and hassled. I have filled in the TSA forms to no avail. I cannot check on line like normal folk and always have too allow lots of extra time when I check in at the airport. I was told they have no idea the age, ethnicity or even sex of the person with my same name so they stop everyone with the same name.

p.s. I have a very ordinary anglo saxon name with a hint of Irish.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:

Yep. They've given the TSA so much authority (TERROR! TERROR!) that most people know they could end up in some windowless cubicle undergoing enhanced interrogation if they look at anyone funny.

Interesting state of affairs, in that most sensible observers agree the whole thing is little more than Kabuki theater that does almost nothing to insure safety.

But, you know, THEY HATE OUR FREEDOM.

Yes, I love how easily we give up our freedoms and dignity, to "preserve our way of life".
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Yet another example of the TSA's incompetence and its arbitrary regulations.

Because we all know that terrorist technology only allows them to integrate a bomb with the 13-inch MBA.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

This is a big selling point - and probably the tipping point for me to go ahead and get one. At least in the early stages of this policy change, it's going to be a whole lot easier to just take it out of the bag rather than trying to get an idiot to understand that it doesn't have to be taken out of the bag.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Not that I don't feel the pain of frequent fliers, but do you really expect TSA folks to be able to keep up on the various laptop permutations that you and I take for granted?

To most, a thing with a screen is a computer. The differences are not as obvious to the non-geek world as it is to us.

The fault lies in the kabuki show that is airport security, a performance designed to make everyone think security is being attended to, while actually only addressing last year's threats, doing nothing in reality.

I expect their spokesperson to only make public statements if they are actual policies they intend to follow...
  • Reply 17 of 34
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,295member
    Quote:

BINGO!!

I've been told that I have to take my iPad out of my backpack at Newark, and they don't care what the rules are.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,295member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

Yes, I love how easily we give up our freedoms and dignity, to "preserve our way of life".

So very, very true.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Of course, arguing with a TSA agent is about as foolish as arguing with a police officer. You are never, NEVER, going to be able to educate them that they are not current on their guidelines. They have no reason to trust you, that you know what you are talking about and not just making shit up. If they just took your word on it, then anyone could make up any guideline. "Oh, there is a new guideline that says you can take bombs on planes? My manager must have forgotten to pass that one on to me. Ok, if you say so. Go ahead, sir."

If you are concerned about it, print a copy of the guideline. Let them do their search (they shouldn't trust any print out you have either. Easily forged). After you are given permission to continue on your way, give them a copy. Agruing with them BEFORE you are cleared is, like you say, going to get you a cavity search.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

... Agruing with them BEFORE you are cleared is, like you say, going to get you a cavity search.

As others have pointed out, when we reached that point, the terrorists had already won.