Can a MacMini be safely run in a vertical orientation?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have an "extra" Mini that I want to set-up in my kitchen. My plan is to mount the computer vertically on the inside of a cabinet. Will mounting the Mac in this way cause any trouble with the hard drive or DVD?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    It'll run fine... I mounted one in my RV that way and it worked just fine.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

It'll run fine... I mounted one in my RV that way and it worked just fine.

Thanks. Now I just need to figure out how to get it power.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keda View Post

I have an "extra" Mini that I want to set-up in my kitchen. My plan is to mount the computer vertically on the inside of a cabinet. Will mounting the Mac in this way cause any trouble with the hard drive or DVD?

However do pay attention to air flow or circulation as this could become an issue in a tightly sealed cabinet. There are to many variables to say for sure but is something you need to think about.

As to power and signal cables that is always a problem because you end up with holes where you don't want them. I have no good advice other than to buy the tools and grommits to do a nice job.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keda View Post

Vertically all of it should be fine but I haven't recently tested these slot loading drives vertically. It should be fine though, like the iMac.

In fact, Apple could actually adjust the form factor and how they market it so it is vertical instead of horizontal. That could look more attractive and take up a much smaller footprint.