Apple's next-gen iPad rumored to have two cameras - report

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's next-generation iPad, set to launch in the first quarter of 2011, will include a forward-facing camera for FaceTime video chat, in addition to a second rear camera, according to an unconfirmed rumor from an investment firm.

The note from Detwiler Fenton & Co., issued this week and obtained by Barron's, claims that OmniVision will supply CMOS image sensors for the second-generation iPad. The report alleges that the next iPad will have a forward-facing VGA camera for FaceTime video chat, like the iPhone 4 and latest iPod touch.

The firm also claims that OmniVision will supply a second, 5 megapixel camera, presumably to be placed on the rear of the new iPad. One competing touchscreen tablet, Samsung's Galaxy Tab, sports two cameras, with the rear lens highlighted for use in augmented reality applications.

Detwiler said that Apple is expected to build 2.5 million units of the next-generation iPad in the first quarter of 2011. OmniVision also supplies sensors for Apple's iPhone.

AppleInsider contacted Detwiler Friday in an effort to determine why Apple would place a high-resolution camera on the back of a 9.7-inch tablet, and why Apple would only build 2.5 million units of a device that sold more than 4 million last quarter. Multiple e-mails and voicemails were not returned.

In September, AppleInsider exclusively reported that Apple plans to move aggressively in pushing its FaceTime open video chat standard. In addition to the iPhone 4 and latest iPod touch, Apple added the Mac platform to its FaceTime connectivity earlier this month.

People familiar with Apple's plans told AppleInsider that a version of Apple's iPad with a built-in video camera and FaceTime support had already progressed to advanced testing stages by September. It was indicated that a FaceTime-equipped iPad would be introduced no later than the first quarter of 2011.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 146
    Instead of just making a smart assed comment here, just putting out that this was a forgone conclusion for months, not sure I needed an analyst to put it out in an official report.
  • Reply 2 of 146
    In related news, the next iPad will be newer than the old one.
  • Reply 3 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Instead of just making a smart assed comment here, just putting out that this was a forgone conclusion for months, not sure I needed an analyst to put it out in an official report.

Better a smart one than a dumb one.
  • Reply 4 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's next-generation iPad, set to launch in the first quarter of 2011, will include a forward-facing camera for FaceTime video chat, in addition to a second rear camera, according to an unconfirmed rumor from an investment firm..

I was under the impression that:

Apple left off the camera intentionally, to make the iPad a better product, given that it would show a view going up people's noses from a front-facing camera;

and

Apple left off any rear-facing camera intentionally, to make the iPad a better product, because people would look foolish holding up a big slate to take photos.

Do I remember correctly?
  • Reply 5 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AppleInsider contacted Detwiler Friday in an effort to determine why Apple would place a high-resolution camera on the back of a 9.7-inch tablet, and why Apple would only build 2.5 million units of a device that sold more than 4 million last quarter. Multiple e-mails and voicemails were not returned.

Thank you, AppleInsider, for having more common sense than Detwiler Fenton. A rear-facing camera on a tablet makes about as much sense as a 7" model that was supposedly coming down the pipe.
  • Reply 6 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Thank you, AppleInsider, for having more common sense than Detwiler Fenton. A rear-facing camera on a tablet makes about as much sense as a 7" model that was supposedly coming down the pipe.

You're right. Front facing makes sense, not much else.
  • Reply 7 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Or, about as much sense as a rear facing camera on an iMac.
  • Reply 8 of 146
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I would not be surprised to see only 1 camera. Despite these 'rumors'.
  • Reply 9 of 146
    The addition of the camera to iPad 2 is just to shut the critics up..
  • Reply 9 of 146
    I don't know about other current iPad owners, but the addition of a camera or two is not going to entice me to upgrade. I see little to no use for such functionality.

I've actually been trying for weeks to think what Apple could add to a new iPad that would make me want to upgrade. About all I can think of are the standard things like slimmer and lighter with more hard drive. The current iPad is darn near perfect in my eyes.
  • Reply 11 of 146
    OMG OMG OMG, this is revolutionary!! The iPad is going to get at least one, maybe two cameras!!!

I hope the rear camera is a revolutionary and magical .7 mp camera like the amazing iPod touch has!! At second though, maybe they should save the rear camera until the 2012 update, and in 2013 Steve could add an AMAZING 512 meg of RAM to it!!!

It's a game changer.... It's so SEXY and delicious looking. Doesn't everyone agree????? The hell with "clunky' and "crappy" netbooks that can do actual work - I like all of you want to spend my entire existence "surfing the web", "checking my email", "enjoying my photographs and music"!!!

Wooo Hoo Steve!!! Ballmer is throwing chairs again cause MS is TOAST!!! Everyone who uses something without an Apple logo is a "looser"!!!
  • Reply 12 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

I've actually been trying for weeks to think what Apple could add to a new iPad that would make me want to upgrade.

How about a Retina Display?
  • Reply 13 of 146
    If there was a camera, it would be just a front facing for Facetime. The iPad's form factor, as a pad, is a bit awkward for video conferencing due to the camera angle from the device, unless Apple took that into account (maybe two switchable front facing cameras?)
  • Reply 14 of 146
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

The current iPad is darn near perfect in my eyes.

I'm still trying to figure out what mine is good for. As a couch computer it fails for me since 10 steps away is my iMac and it does everything, unlike iPad which only does some things, and most rather awkwardly at best.
  • Reply 15 of 146
    Retina display is the only feature that would make me upgrade.
  • Reply 16 of 146
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    But Johny Ive said having no camera was a good thing.

Why the iPad has no front facing camera and no Alarm clock is complete crap.
  • Reply 17 of 146
    My thoughts are that Apple is going to release a higher end version of the iPad. A version running OSx. A higher res rear facing camera has many uses that come to mind. Graphic arts, cad, and other programs could use imported photos. You would obviously have to hold the pad up like a big digital camera, but so what...... for a quick pic? Sure... I'd do it.

Might also explain the reported lower manufacturing numbers. Smaller market for a higher end iPad. Don't forget Apples latest news on the next OSX release. Lion is bringing features of the mobile units back to the desktop. Who DOESN'T see that loop continuing with bringing a mobile version of OSX to the iPad?
  • Reply 18 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

I was under the impression that:

Apple left off the camera intentionally, to make the iPad a better product, given that it would show a view going up people's noses from a front-facing camera;

and

Apple left off any rear-facing camera intentionally, to make the iPad a better product, because people would look foolish holding up a big slate to take photos.

Do I remember correctly?

I don't believe that any official Apple spokesperson or Steve Jobs made such claims!

Do you have a citation?

• Reply 19 of 146
    I want 2 USB ports...
  • Reply 20 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Retina display is the only feature that would make me upgrade.

Other than retina display, which I think is very unlikely as it will increase the cost and not allow apple to price at 499 dollars, higher memory (128 gb) ; atleast 512 ram, better than VGA frontcamera ( 2mp for large 9.7 inch screen) and some software upgrade like " gestures" in safari would make me go for it.