1TB HDD in a 13" MacBook Pro (Late 2009)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Tonight I'll be putting a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint into my MBP. I'll let you know how it goes!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    So far so good. Drive fits perfectly. Upgrade seems to have proceeded without a hitch. I've now got 1TB! In a sleek laptop! Sweet.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Good to know that 12.5mm thick drives fit in there.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    hmm.... I wonder if that would also fit into a Mini? (the old/taller version)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Good to know that 12.5mm thick drives fit in there.

Yes, I had found information on the internet that it would fit, but I was still a little unsure. There was also some concern about performance problems, but I haven't had any problems at all.

Theoretically, this three-platter drive should be faster at the same RPM than the two-platter drive it replaces. In practice, it does seem zippy. I haven't noticed any heat concerns, operation is absolutely silent, and it seems to be a better drive in reviews than the 1TB WD (and it's a little less expensive to boot!)
  • Reply 5 of 8
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Yes, I had found information on the internet that it would fit, but I was still a little unsure. There was also some concern about performance problems, but I haven't had any problems at all.

Theoretically, this three-platter drive should be faster at the same RPM than the two-platter drive it replaces. In practice, it does seem zippy. I haven't noticed any heat concerns, operation is absolutely silent, and it seems to be a better drive in reviews than the 1TB WD (and it's a little less expensive to boot!)

Did you consider going with an SSD hard drive?

Which MBP do you have? I have a new 13" MBP and have not opened this one up yet. I was wondering if you found the unibodies harder to open compared to the replaceable battery models which were very easy to open and tinker.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Did you consider going with an SSD hard drive?

I need capacity, not speed. Anyway, SSDs are still far too expensive for me to want to replace an HDD. I would consider an optical drive bay conversion to an SSD as a boot drive if I had unlimited funds or if I didn't already have a million other things I am planning on spending large amounts of money on that are more important.

Quote:

Which MBP do you have? I have a new 13" MBP and have not opened this one up yet. I was wondering if you found the unibodies harder to open compared to the replaceable battery models which were very easy to open and tinker.

It's the mid-2009 13" MBP, as I stated in the thread title. It has the same accessibility as the newest 13" MacBook Pros. I found it easier, actually, to open the case and access the HDD and RAM than the old white MacBook (replaceable battery), the access plate of which you had to unscrew at an angle. Not to mention you don't get that badly fitting battery surface that doesn't sit flush with the rest of the bottom of the case. I get the feeling that the bottom case of the unibody will fit beautifully flush no matter how many times I open it up.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I need capacity, not speed. Anyway, SSDs are still far too expensive for me to want to replace an HDD. I would consider an optical drive bay conversion to an SSD as a boot drive if I had unlimited funds or if I didn't already have a million other things I am planning on spending large amounts of money on that are more important.

It's the mid-2009 13" MBP, as I stated in the thread title. It has the same accessibility as the newest 13" MacBook Pros. I found it easier, actually, to open the case and access the HDD and RAM than the old white MacBook (replaceable battery), the access plate of which you had to unscrew at an angle. Not to mention you don't get that badly fitting battery surface that doesn't sit flush with the rest of the bottom of the case. I get the feeling that the bottom case of the unibody will fit beautifully flush no matter how many times I open it up.

Thanks. I appreciate your thoughts. It seems the UniBodies are much easier to open but looks can be deceiving sometimes.

Regarding your HDD, I understand that people need space. My brother is one of them. He needs the space and is interested in a 1TB drive.

For some reason, I have always used my notebooks as satellite machines. I mostly work off the iDisk regarding file storage. I really just load the Apps I need and no more. This way if something happens, not a big deal minus the $$$ part of it.

I thought about doing the DVD bay replacement kit but if I have a machined slot on my notebook, it will remain usable even though I don't use it. Go figure on my logic.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Thanks. I appreciate your thoughts. It seems the UniBodies are much easier to open but looks can be deceiving sometimes.

Regarding your HDD, I understand that people need space. My brother is one of them. He needs the space and is interested in a 1TB drive.

For some reason, I have always used my notebooks as satellite machines. I mostly work off the iDisk regarding file storage. I really just load the Apps I need and no more. This way if something happens, not a big deal minus the $$$ part of it.

I thought about doing the DVD bay replacement kit but if I have a machined slot on my notebook, it will remain usable even though I don't use it. Go figure on my logic.

Well, I do use the optical drive, as I still prefer to buy CDs instead of digital downloads, and sometimes I rent DVDs and rip them for future viewing if something comes up and I don't have time to watch them before they are due back. But, like I said, if I had unlimited funds, I'd get one of the kits that would include an external casing for the existing Superdrive. Or I'd get an external Blu-Ray (which I'm considering anyway, now that you can playback and rip Blu-Ray on Mac).