IBM Symphony for Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just downloaded Symphony hoping to get a WordPerfect type word processor. I have always wanted Word to have a reveal codes, but alas, no joy. I tried to find a "reveal codes' in this free version of Symphony: no joy there either, unless it has some other name that the Help and Search can't find because I don't have the exact nomenclature with every i dotted and every t crossed. I intensely dislike Help features in apps. They invariably give you a multitude of things you don't need but not what you asked for.

Anyway, does anyone on this forum use Symphony and if so, do you know if it has reveal codes and how it's accessed?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    In Word, that would be turning on non-printing characters or invisible characters. You can access it in the Word view preferences. I don't know if there is a shortcut for it and I'm not sure about Symphony.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

In Word, that would be turning on non-printing characters or invisible characters. You can access it in the Word view preferences. I don't know if there is a shortcut for it and I'm not sure about Symphony.

That's better, Marvin, but still not as extensive as WordPerfect 'reveal codes'. However, that solved another problem I had. The Status Bar had disappeared. I was able to restore it using your suggestion.

Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Sounds like you might be ready for LaTeX: http://www.tug.org/mactex/
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Also, it sounds like Apple is trying to cover its ass if/when Microsoft pulls the plug on it Office suite. If the next version of Windows is delayed, e.g. Vista, and OS X is still gaining market share, then I'd bet they do the nuclear option and pull the MacOffice plug.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Thanks

Can I ask how you know this....?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I have not seen Reveal Codes in OpenOffice.org 3.3, Symphony 3, nor NeoOffice 3.1.O (nor initial look at OO.org 3.4). I doubt that it is available.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrayShades View Post

I have not seen Reveal Codes in OpenOffice.org 3.3, Symphony 3, nor NeoOffice 3.1.O (nor initial look at OO.org 3.4). I doubt that it is available.

Thanks. Since you did the ground work, I won't have to try to figure out if it can be done.

I know it's possible to run WordPerfect for Mac on Intel Macs, but it requires an emulated PowerPC Mac system, see:http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html

That sounds too Mickey Mouse to me. I'll just have to forego a word processor with "Reveal Codes".

That's a shame. It was a great feature.

thanks again, Grayshades
  • Reply 8 of 9
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I didn't even know IBM still had an Office suite for Mac. Is this based on OpenOffice?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I didn't even know IBM still had an Office suite for Mac. Is this based on OpenOffice?

Yes, it's based on OpenOffice.org, read this:

Free Mac Office Suite for Mac OSX Platform:

http://www.techmixer.com/free-mac-office-suite/