Serial Emulator

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Has anyone had experience with a serial emulator?

I'm think to buy a Kestrel 4500 Bluetooth weather meter, but, though the device is awesome (I have a previous model but do data "dumps" the old-fashioned read-and-type way) and the maker says they make innovative products, they don't support Macs.

Their homepage, though, does suggest a way to connect using a serial emulator such as goSerial, info here.

I was thinking to set up Automator to handle the nitty-gritty and produce nice data sets in Numbers.

Has anybody used goSerial? I haven't used an emulator or a terminal app in many years, so I am as befuddled as a newbie on this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

they don't support Macs.

Can't you run Windows in Bootcamp or Parallels?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ernsternst Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Has anyone had experience with a serial emulator?

I'm think to buy a Kestrel 4500 Bluetooth weather meter, but, though the device is awesome (I have a previous model but do data "dumps" the old-fashioned read-and-type way) and the maker says they make innovative products, they don't support Macs.

Their homepage, though, does suggest a way to connect using a serial emulator such as goSerial, info here.

I was thinking to set up Automator to handle the nitty-gritty and produce nice data sets in Numbers.

Has anybody used goSerial? I haven't used an emulator or a terminal app in many years, so I am as befuddled as a newbie on this.

I use something called Zoc6 by Markus Schmidt: www.emtec.com.

It is very capable and support is very good. The program is more than needed - very robust!

I do not know about GoSerial. I tried many terminal emulators before finding Zoc. Most of these others are so-so.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ernsternst Posts: 11member
    If the interface is serial do you not need a USB to serial port adapter? I use the Keyspan USA-19HS with Mac OS X and Zoc6 work fine together.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Can't you run Windows in Bootcamp or Parallels?

I try to avoid Windows if it all possible and will never consider installing it on a Mac, even though there are times like this.

There always is the option of asking a friend to do a data dump once or twice a month, but I've converted most of them to Mac...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

I try to avoid Windows if it all possible and will never consider installing it on a Mac, even though there are times like this.

Fundamentalism has its price.