SSD for FCS

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi I need some advice for SSD for applications.

There are many threads on improved speed with regards to SSD for Applications and OSX. However is it possible to have your OSX on one drive and install Final Cut Studio on a SSD drive. Will this improve the speed for FCS or do you need OSX to be on SSD as well. From what I understand SSDs become slower as it fills so I am just considering the SSD just to read and load applications.

Also If I have FCS only on the SSD will this make it mobile so that I can just plug the SSD to a different mac and work on the FCS?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    You're not going to want to have any important applications like that on any drive other than your boot drive, anyway. I don't believe they'll even work.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're not going to want to have any important applications like that on any drive other than your boot drive, anyway. I don't believe they'll even work.

Are you saying it will not work because the application needs to be in the same drive as the OS? Can you explain a little more?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Umibuta View Post

Are you saying it will not work because the application needs to be in the same drive as the OS? Can you explain a little more?

I'm not saying it won't work; I don't know because I've never tried. I'm saying that it's much more likely not to work, and if it does work, you're much more likely to run into problems down the road because of it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    You're not going to see a whole lot of benefit doing things this way. Your read speed will be limited by the interface speed (USB, FW800 etc). You also can't install Final Cut on a drive and it will work on another machine because the shared components go in /Library.

If you have a laptop, you might want to consider the Seagate Hybrid drive, which is affordable and has lots of storage with some benefits of the SSD when it comes to boot times. Otherwise, I'd say forget SSD until you can switch your internal drive for one. The price per GB will be cutting in the next 2-3 months so that would be the time to make such a jump.

You should get a 256-300GB internal for about $400 and then you can get an external RAID system or whatever if you need extra space. You even get mobile RAID drives.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You're not going to see a whole lot of benefit doing things this way. Your read speed will be limited by the interface speed (USB, FW800 etc). You also can't install Final Cut on a drive and it will work on another machine because the shared components go in /Library.

Thanks. I was just hoping to install Final Cut on a separate drive other than the OS. I have access to a Mac pro but only for a few months before returning. The only condition for this loan is that I cannot install any applications.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Umibuta View Post

Thanks. I was just hoping to install Final Cut on a separate drive other than the OS. I have access to a Mac pro but only for a few months before returning. The only condition for this loan is that I cannot install any applications.

Slide another drive into the machine, clone or install an OS onto it and install what you need and remove the drive before you send it back. You can use a firewire external to do the same. The G-Drive Mini is bus-powered:

http://g-technology.com/products/g-drive-mini.cfm

If you get one of the cheaper ones, you can open it and put in a 32-64GB SSD or leave it with the 7200rpm drive in it. Even 32GB will be enough to store the OS + Final Cut as long as you don't install the full FCS. If you remove the content packs, it's under 5GB.