Apple releases iTunes 10.1 with support for iOS 4.2, AirPlay

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Friday released iTunes 10.1, the latest version of its media playing software, which users will need to install the forthcoming iOS 4.2 update for the iPhone and iPad.

iTunes 10.1 is available for both Mac and Windows via software update or direct from Apple. It weighs in at 90.63 MB for Mac, 78.10 MB for 32-bit Windows, and 78.98 MB for 64-bit Windows.

Features in the new version of iTunes, according to Apple, include:

Use AirPlay to instantly and wirelessly stream videos from iTunes to the all-new Apple TV.

Sync with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 4.2.

Provides a number of important stability and performance improvements.

The update makes no mention of AirPrint, Apple's forthcoming wireless printing standard for iOS devices. For Windows users, iTunes 10.1 was supposed to enable sharing of printers to devices like the iPhone and iPad.

But this week, reports began to surface that Apple would be cutting features from AirPrint, specifically the ability to print to a shared printer. Support for ePrint-enabled devices will remain when iOS 4.2 is released.

Windows users aren't the only ones who will miss out on shared printer support. On Wednesday, Apple released Mac OS X 10.6.5 also without the functionality, which was apparently pulled at the last minute. Some, however, have found a workaround to reenable printer sharing in the latest update to Snow Leopard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    Am I the only one who would like to have the ability to suppress Ping and Genius so they disappear and do not eat up valuable screen real estate?
  • Reply 2 of 51
    So now we have part 2 of 3. Now if they can get iOS4.2 out the door, my iPad will be very greatful!
  • Reply 3 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

Am I the only one who would like to have the ability to suppress Ping and Genius so they disappear and do not eat up valuable screen real estate?

I agree completely!!
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Quote:

No, you're not.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    Quote:

You are not alone, I am here with you. Though we're far apart, this issue is dear to my heart.

With apologies to the late MJ.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    I see a new Apple TV thingy at the bottom right of the iTunes window, but when I play a movie the option goes away. Maybe I need an AppleTV update now?
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Quote:

You can now do that in the app settings.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Quote:

Yes, i don't have them displayed so yes, you are the only one as far as I know
  • Reply 9 of 51
    I think we need to start a pool.....when is Apple going to replace iTunes with something new....call it iSync or something. iPhones and iPads need iTunes for syncing, and if we're now going to have print-sharing features....it's grown way beyond Tunes and needs to be a dedicated server/sync'er program. Of which iTunes would be a part.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    So can other third party apps add AirPlay on Mac now, just like iOS?! No more need for Airfoil then!
  • Reply 11 of 51
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:

There is already functionality to do that. Just turn in off in the preferences.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Quote:

• Reply 13 of 51
    weighs 55mb for me the update file.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:

You can disable Ping now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MeniThings View Post

I see a new Apple TV thingy at the bottom right of the iTunes window, but when I play a movie the option goes away. Maybe I need an AppleTV update now?

Yes.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Despite hopes that the 3 CUPS files needed to bring shared printer support would be part of iTunes 10.1, that is NOT the case.

Before installing iTunes 10.1, I rolled back the 3 associated CUPS files to their OS-X 10.6.5 status, and removed my shared printer and rebooted.

I then installed iTunes 10.1 and checked in the appropriate directories to see if the files might have been part of the iTunes upgrade, but NO SUCH LUCK (same dates and sizes as in OS-X 10.6.5 for the 2 files in the mime folder and the urftopdf filter not added)

Just for grins, I added my shared printer back in and to verified that my IP4 was unable to see any printers (no printer found).

I then deleted my shared printer, overlaid the 3 CUPS files, rebooted my MBP, added my shared printer back and voila, my IP4 found my shared printer.

Now that we have the 2 OS-X pieces as released software, it does indeed seem that shared printing is NOT part of the this go around. But it is great to know that at least adding in the associated CUPS files brings shared printing live.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    A new GM 4.2 for iPad just got released. They added a b to 8C134 for the iPad only. I wouldn't count on a 4.2 release until late next week.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I think we need to start a pool.....when is Apple going to replace iTunes with something new....call it iSync or something. iPhones and iPads need iTunes for syncing, and if we're now going to have print-sharing features....it's grown way beyond Tunes and needs to be a dedicated server/sync'er program. Of which iTunes would be a part.

Well I don't know if it needs to be split up, but it would be nice to have subapplications to iTunes. You could have one called iTunes Jukebox if you just wanted to play music on your computer, and iTunes Sinc if you just wanted to sinc one of your iPod or iOS devices. However you would still have the option of opening up iTunes if you want or need to have the full functionality of iTunes.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dtidmore View Post

Despite hopes that the 3 CUPS files needed to bring shared printer support would be part of iTunes 10.1, that is NOT the case.

Not surprised as apple released that as part of a OSX build in the past and not part of iTunes.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

A new GM 4.2 for iPad just got released. They added a b to 8C134 for the iPad only. I wouldn't count on a 4.2 release until late next week.

I want to test if the WiFi bug is fixed. Downloading now.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Never realized you could hide some of that stuff. But I only use iTunes occasionally, so I never looked too deeply into it's menus and options. I might go ahead and Hide some of that stuff next time I open it up.