Apple promises an unforgettable iTunes announcement coming Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 81 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Funny. Seriously. I hope it comes from Apple love, not Apple hate. Hope you post more if the former.

100% Apple Love! No worries! I can't wait for tomorrow..
  • Reply 82 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dad2ways View Post

There has been quite a bit of buzz going on in the business world for the past few months because Sony Corp is up for sale and the asking price is well under half the amount of money Apple usually has available in liquid assets just sitting in savings.

I seriously doubt they would announce that sort of thing in this way--too coy, too cute. That kind of serious business move would be given a much more dignified mainstream debut. Wall Street Journal exclusive.
  • Reply 83 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Ouch, such egregious grammar!

Can someone puhleeease have a word with Apple's Comms people?!

Either of these would be better:

Tomorrow is just another day...that you'll never forget.

Tomorrow is just another day, a day you'll never forget.

Tomorrow is just another day, and you'll never forget it.

Hey, think different.
  • Reply 84 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I seriously doubt they would announce that sort of thing in this way--too coy, too cute. That kind of serious business move would be given a much more dignified mainstream debut. Wall Street Journal exclusive.

Or, Sony's website would just shut down and personnel would just update their linkedin profiles to say they work at Apple.
  • Reply 85 of 261
    "That you'll never forget."

That's a pretty bold statement. It'd have to be something in the order of the release of the iPhone, etc. for me to never forget?

And no press conference? Seems marketing is getting carried away...
  • Reply 86 of 261
    Will it include the implementation of longer song samples?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...0_seconds.html

or

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...0_seconds.html

I realize the second link says US, but why can't Apple just piss off the global record industry instead of just the US branch?
  • Reply 87 of 261
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

I still think those expecting to be able to put their own music into the cloud are dreaming. This will be for iTunes purchased media only.

Storage cost is irrelevant since Apple only needs to store one copy of the digital asset for millions of users, this isn't your own personal web disk...

I doubt they'll charge for bandwidth eithier. It'll either be free for all purchased content or it will come along via a MobileMe subscription.

Either way... No you are not going to be able to stream music which you ripped from a CD or downloaded from Amazon or downloaded from TPB.

Sure... I hope I'm wrong and Apple allows all this and more, but I'd put very long odds on it.

I'd also hope for something Pandora-ish... Maybe something that allows you to create stations and share them with friends via ping... Nbut again just don't see apple doing something like that which would be hard to monetize.

You just made sense.
  • Reply 88 of 261
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevc View Post

"That you'll never forget."

That's a pretty bold statement. It'd have to be something in the order of the release of the iPhone, etc. for me to never forget?

And no press conference? Seems marketing is getting carried away...

There are numerous services that they could implement that would be unforgettable. While unlikely, I'd love to see a full out cable TV replacement service through iTunes. Apple can stream you live content as well as any cable provider, with the added benefit of instant streaming of older content. It's just unlikely that they'd be able to work out the content deals to make it happen anytime soon. We'll probably need apps on Apple TV to allow networks to wade into the market at their own pace instead of a full out subscription service from Apple.
  • Reply 89 of 261
    When I look at the times, the only time that has significant 'meaning' beyond being a time is Midnight in Tokoyo.

As Midnight in Tokoyo will be 11/17 - could there be something Significant about 11/17/2010?

as everyone pointed out, 7am Cupertino time is Odd for Apple.

3pm London Time is Odd for London - I'd expect either earlier or later for the Beattles announcement.

I'd expect a 9am, not 10am East Coast Time. And in general, the world ignores Central/Mountain time [I live in Central US myself so I can make that joke].

So I go back to what is special about 11/17?

HMMMM

11/171967 Beatles Ltd and Apple Music Ltd swap names on this day in history.
  • Reply 90 of 261
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uplate View Post

I'll throw in my vote for wireless sync, however unlikely that may be.

If they allowed playlists to include iDisk files you could have another 10 gigs of storage for movies and music. I only have a 16 gig iPhone and 16 gig iPad. So in lieu of actual filesystem management, iDisk gives you some flexibility, but would be greatly improved if you could use iTunes on your mobile to access that content.
  • Reply 91 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bandman999 View Post

In marketing, grammar is a pliable concept. Just roll with it.

Indeed, but I'd say "That you'll never forget." is more reminiscent of contortion.
  • Reply 92 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

They didn't call a press conference so this probably won't be huge. I bet they will just announce the mac app store is activating.

If it's something familiar to most users, like iTunes, then Apple may feel a press conference would be a waste of time. Besides it gives people time to leak information. Have you noticed how flat Apple's keynotes have been, in terms of audience response lately?

As it's iTunes related i tend to agree with Solipsism and think it'll be a web-based iTunes model.

It's dominating the homepage of most of the Apple sites worldwide so it must be fairly big, as that's a lot of advertising space to give up for something trivial.
  • Reply 93 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calicojoe View Post

Making a big splash on the page suggests it is not a minor announcement like a revised icon for the iTunes app. Allowing people to buy Beatles albums online for download would be a major announcement.

My guess is The Beatles will be available for download including the mono masters.

I really don't see the Beatles being a big enough announcement to warrant a teaser like this on Apple's home page and the iTunes home page as most people won't really care.

My guess is that it's related to the reason they built the North Carolina data center as that's the sort of investment that could lead to something unforgettably new. I also think there should be some hints inside of iTunes 10.1 and iOS 4.2 GM.
  • Reply 94 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cla98 View Post

Could it be an announcement with the BBC, we've been hearing rumours over this side of the pond that iPlayer is going international... AppleTV streaming maybe?

Erm i don't think the Great British tax payer would be too happy about that do you?

It would also be on the the UK Apple TV models now. In the same way we don't get NetFlix.
  • Reply 95 of 261
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Ouch, such egregious grammar!

Can someone puhleeease have a word with Apple's Comms people?!

Either of these would be better:

Tomorrow is just another day...that you'll never forget.

Tomorrow is just another day, a day you'll never forget.

Tomorrow is just another day, and you'll never forget it.

The phrase "Think different" wasn't too hot on grammar either was it.
  • Reply 96 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cla98 View Post

Could it be an announcement with the BBC, we've been hearing rumours over this side of the pond that iPlayer is going international... AppleTV streaming maybe?

It is for ITUNES!!!!!

It will be the Beatles.
  • Reply 97 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Color icons of the sidebar in iTunes -- it would be revolutionary!

Haha. Made me chuckle
  • Reply 98 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

I really don't see the Beatles being a big enough announcement to warrant a teaser like this on Apple's home page and the iTunes home page as most people won't really care.

I disagree. A Beatles announcement would be huge. Granted, anyone who wants them on their hard drive already has them - having the access on iTunes wouldn't mean much as far as obtaining them. But the mere fact that the Beatles finally are available online... that's huge.
  • Reply 99 of 261
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

It is for ITUNES!!!!!

It will be the Beatles.

Yoko died?
  • Reply 100 of 261
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

LaLa allowed you to do this for songs that they had in their library. LaLa would "sync" your library with your LaLa account.

Did they sync them or just use relative links? I don?t expect Apple to upload all your content to their cloud. At the very least, I?d expect it to see what iTunes Store music you have and give you access to that for streaming, but actually touch the content you have in your local iTunes library.

If if does allow you access to any and all content in your local iTunes library, then it would only need to upload the files that are different from what they already have on their servers, and then just link users to that content via a relative link, but I wonder about the legality of this process from the content owner?s perspective.