iPad coming to northern Europe, iOS 4.2 hints at free MobileMe accounts

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple plans to release the iPad in several northern European countries soon, while error messages in the most recent iOS 4.2 golden master suggest the possibility of free MobileMe accounts for iOS users.

iPad launch

Continuing the global rollout of its highly successful tablet device, Apple will launch the iPad in Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark, according to the Wall Street Journal. Alongside the launch, several Nordic telecom operators will soon offer 3G data packages for the iPad, the Journal reports. European carriers Tre, TeliaSonera AB and Tele2 AB all announced Friday that they will provide data subscriptions for iPad users, though they declined to give details on when exactly the plans will launch and prices for the subscriptions.

TeliaSonera did confirm, however, that it will not sell the iPad. "As things look right now, we will only offer subscription packages for the iPad," said Bengt Olsson, TeliaSonera's head of communications. "The iPad launch is imminent and we plan to release our subscription offer in Sweden, Norway, Finland and Demark simultaneously," he said.

Early demand for the iPad after its initial U.S. release in April surprised Apple, forcing the company to delay the international launch of the tablet until May.

During Apple's second fiscal quarter 2010 conference call, Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook said that sales "far exceeded" Apple's expectations. "It has shocked us, the level of demand, at least initially," Cook said.

MobileMe

Earlier in November, Apple released a golden master of iOS 4.2. Within the beta, it was discovered that the MobileMe settings now asked for Apple ID account info, rather than MobileMe account info. Apple has since released two more golden masters of iOS 4.2, including one build labeled iOS 4.2.1.

On Friday, MacRumors uncovered in the latest iOS 4.2 betas a "new private framework" with error messages referencing free MobileMe accounts. The errors include: "The maximum number of free accounts have been activated on this iPhone" and "This iPad is not qualified for free MobileMe service." Though Apple currently offers a 60-day free trial of its $99 a year MobileMe service, it remains unclear how an iOS device would "qualify" for the rumored free service.

Analysts have speculated that MobileMe will play a pivotal role in Apple's continued expansion into cloud-based services, pointing to the company's $1 billion data center in Maiden, N. C. as potential evidence. MobileMe currently offers calendar, email and contact syncing, as well as file sharing and a "Find My iPhone" remote tracking feature.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    What about people who have paid already ?
  • Reply 2 of 83
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

No ad?
  • Reply 3 of 83
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    You mean it hasn't been released yet? Why can't Apple make them faster?
  • Reply 4 of 83
    Giving everyone a MobileMe account would be a big selling point and no great loss of revenue for Apple. Apple would more than recoup the lost revenue by the additional sales of Ipads and iphones.
  • Reply 5 of 83
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

it remains unclear how an iOS device would "qualify" for the rumored free service.

Perhaps only new iOS devices "qualify", i.e. iPad G2 or later.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    A basic free MobileMe account would be nice but for iTunes or iOS users with credit cards only.

It important keep out fake identities that just waste network resources and pollute the user databases.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 7 of 83
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    They should make it all free to help offer a complete user experience. It's also a good way of getting microsoft and google hooks out of people's computing experience, linking Apple more tightly to it's users. That comes with a responsibility though and MM needs to do everything well, with a service that is better than existing cloud and webmail services.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    Quote:

I'd be amazed if they offered the same features as the current Mobile Me for free. Look for a limited free version and a premium paid version with more features when they release this.

To be honest a limited free Mobile Me that at least matches the features available from Google and Microsoft is long overdue.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    Google=free email

when

Apple=free email, plus a whole lot more, and awesome hardware

Apple wins

(as if they haven't already)
  • Reply 10 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

They should make it all free to help offer a complete user experience. It's also a good way of getting microsoft and google hooks out of people's computing experience, linking Apple more tightly to it's users. That comes with a responsibility though and MM needs to do everything well, with a service that is better than existing cloud and webmail services.

I couldn't agree me with this!
  • Reply 11 of 83
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Motorola via Blur, HTC via Sense and Microsoft WM7 all offer free services which mimic some of the functionality of MobileMe i.e. "Find my phone" (complete with sound playing, locking and remote wipe), it's like the browser wars all over again it's becoming untenable for Apple to charge a premium for something competitors have started offering for free.

As I host a website on MobileMe and use it for a few other things as well, paying for it doesn't really bother me.
  • Reply 12 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felixer View Post

Google=free email

when

Apple wins

Apple has a great deal to learn from Google on how to implement email and related applications (e.g., Picasa) well. MobileMe - I've been a member since Day1 - is a mediocre offering from Apple.

For what it offers, and given how cheap storage is, it should be free.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    Quote:

There are any number of ways they can handle this. They can upgrade paid members at no cost (online storage and features). They can give people who've paid a credit at the apple store or at the iTunes store. They can have ad-free for paid and ads for free. That's just off the top of my head. Apple can think of more ways than that. I am a paid mobileme member (family acct) and it would not bother me much if they made the accounts free and I received no refund or credit but some sort of token would be nice and I think good PR.

For someone who owns several apple products, MobileMe is fantastic. I sync 2 macs, 2 iPhones, and an iPad and I also host a website on my own domain on a MobileMe family account. I use the rest of the space for cloud back up of critical jobs (I have other back ups as well for redundancy). I tried the google drop box route and it felt like a complete time wasting hack and I still had no find my phone/iPad. And give google all my private info? No thanks! So the MobileMe service is worth every penny to me. In fact, I dropped my web hosting plan and I am actually coming out ahead.

What I'd like to see going forward for MobileMe. Drop prices and add more online storage for paid members. Add goodies. For example, multiple domain names and outgoing email from your domains instead of me.com. Offer a very minimal free account but still no ads--just enough to get people to see that its's worth paying for. I think many people would pay a reduced price if they used the free account for a while. The 60 day trial is nice but psychologically, people don't make a commitment to something that is going away in 2 months.
  • Reply 14 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple has a great deal to learn from Google on how to implement email and related applications (e.g., Picasa) well. MobileMe - I've been a member since Day1 - is a mediocre offering from Apple.

For what it offers, and given how cheap storage is, it should be free.

Which raises the question: why are you still a paid member? Not being snarky, just curious.

I don't see what's great about picasa or even gmail that people rave about. Google apps are a total mishmash and most non-nerds are much better off with something more scaled down and integrated. MobileMe can surely fill that gap instead of going after nerds and "free at all cost" types (pun intended).
  • Reply 15 of 83
    .(dot)Mac E-mail used to be free. I think that they'll offer free Mobile me e-mail again, with syncing as an add-on for an additional fee.
  • Reply 16 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I'd be amazed if they offered the same features as the current Mobile Me for free. Look for a limited free version and a premium paid version with more features when they release this.

To be honest a limited free Mobile Me that at least matches the features available from Google and Microsoft is long overdue.

That seems a sensible approach. Apple also need to look at an equivalent to Google docs (how about a real database too? Apple -Oracle collaboration?), i.e. totally web based versions of iWorks that anyone can use, (even PC users) that can seamlessly work with iWorks locally too if needed. I use the cloud based shared feature in iWorks now in beta but this is dependent on the local apps.
  • Reply 17 of 83
    Quote:

Um, Thank-You for your patronage?...
  • Reply 18 of 83
    My wife has MobileMe and loves it. I use an IMAP account on Gmail cause I'm cheap. But if Apple went to a free MobileMe account for registered iTunes users using a genuine Apple device, I'd jump over to MM. The integration of a free MM with your iDevice would be incredible. Then Apple could always do a "Premium" tier with more online storage, etc..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felixer View Post

Google=free email

when

Apple wins

• Reply 19 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

I couldn't agree me with this!

I'll second that emotion. MM would be significantly less intrusive than Google's current "privacy" policy.
  • Reply 20 of 83
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike_t View Post

My wife has MobileMe and loves it. I use an IMAP account on Gmail cause I'm cheap. But if Apple went to a free MobileMe account for registered iTunes users using a genuine Apple device, I'd jump over to MM. The integration of a free MM with your iDevice would be incredible. Then Apple could always do a "Premium" tier with more online storage, etc..

So how do you expect Apple to cover their cost?