Expanded field test mode help (iOS 4.2.1)

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hello,

I discovered that with the iOS 4.2.1 update, my iPhone 4 now gives a lot more information in Field Test mode than it did in 4.1. Does anyone know a good side and/or guide to tell me what I am looking at and how to best interpret the results. This is purely out of curiosity.

I did a quick Google search and most things were about how 4.1 gave the limited mode.

For those who do not know what I am taling about, dial *3001#12345#* . It must be dialed directly as opposed to from the address book but you can save it in the address book, then copy/paste it into the dial screen.

Thanks,

Justin

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jwink3101 View Post

Hello,

I discovered that with the iOS 4.2.1 update, my iPhone 4 now gives a lot more information in Field Test mode than it did in 4.1. Does anyone know a good side and/or guide to tell me what I am looking at and how to best interpret the results. This is purely out of curiosity.

I did a quick Google search and most things were about how 4.1 gave the limited mode.

For those who do not know what I am taling about, dial *3001#12345#* . It must be dialed directly as opposed to from the address book but you can save it in the address book, then copy/paste it into the dial screen.

Thanks,

Justin

They removed the data return module for FTM in 4.0. Can you cap the screen and post it?

There are pretty good 3rd party apps that do a good job of giving noise and location diagnostics than the stock field test, like Signal.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ex_Spy_Guy View Post

They removed the data return module for FTM in 4.0. Can you cap the screen and post it?

There are pretty good 3rd party apps that do a good job of giving noise and location diagnostics than the stock field test, like Signal.

I am attaching a screen shot. This is just the initial screen when you enter field test.

• Reply 3 of 4
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i did the above, and all the fields are "empty" not sure how to assess my real signal strength

and other measurements, nice to know where the towers are

SIGNALS APP is nice (thanks for the reference ), requires others to have it so you can get a picture of the area you are about to go (three people in my town have it, 3 signals show on my local neighborhood map of 3 mile radius)

will help at dead zones or drop call areas near my work

so what is a good signal medium, weak, not reliable

at my home in which i never have a problems i get _95db

regardless of the bars, i just want to know i can confidently maintain a call

i couldn't get a call in or out, at a local mall, inside or outside, with 3 bars

FOR 40 MINUTES, never happened to me before in my "home area", i even rebooted and walked around

i wish on my 3g i could just keep the meter and drop the bars, once i knew whats good and bad signal
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

i did the above, and all the fields are "empty" not sure how to assess my real signal strength

and other measurements, nice to know where the towers are

SIGNALS APP is nice (thanks for the reference ), requires others to have it so you can get a picture of the area you are about to go (three people in my town have it, 3 signals show on my local neighborhood map of 3 mile radius)

will help at dead zones or drop call areas near my work

so what is a good signal medium, weak, not reliable

at my home in which i never have a problems i get _95db

regardless of the bars, i just want to know i can confidently maintain a call

i couldn't get a call in or out, at a local mall, inside or outside, with 3 bars

FOR 40 MINUTES, never happened to me before in my "home area", i even rebooted and walked around

i wish on my 3g i could just keep the meter and drop the bars, once i knew whats good and bad signal

this is possible. I did it on my iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1. When in FieldTest mode, perform a hard reset by holding down both power and home buttons until "Slide to Power Off" appears. Continue holding until iPhone turns off then release both buttons. BE WARNED: once you do this, you cannot get the bars to be default any longer without a clean restore. As for a good baseline, i can say from my experience that -110dBm is the lowest reliable level. Apple says that the iPhone can hold a call all the way down to -113dBm, but nothing is just perfect. You can still send an SMS message out as long as the carrier name is displayed. I was able to get an SMS out with a signal strength of -120dBm.