Camera lens supplier selected for Apple's second-generation iPad - rumor

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Rumors that a Taiwanese company has been selected to exclusively supply camera lens modules for Apple's forthcoming second-generation iPad have been unsurprisingly met with a "no comment."

Market rumors in Taiwan have suggested that Largan Precision was selected as the sole supplier of lens modules for the forthcoming iPad upgrade, according to DigiTimes. In a filing with the Taiwan Stock Exchange, Largan refused to comment.

The report made no mention of how many megapixels the cameras might be, or even how many cameras might be included on the new iPad. Largan reportedly supplies 5-megapixel lenses for the iPhone 4.

Rumors of a camera-equipped iPad have swirled for months, and some evidence has even suggested that Apple originally planned at one point to include a camera in the first-generation model. However, Tuesday's rumor is the first time that Largan Precision has been named as a potential camera lens component supplier.

As reported by AppleInsider in September, Apple plans to aggressively push its FaceTime video chat open standard by releasing a new iPad model equipped with a camera. FaceTime was introduced in June, when the iPhone 4 launched with a forward-facing camera.

Some reports have claimed that, like the iPhone 4, Apple's second-generation iPad will include two cameras -- one forward-facing, and one rear-facing. While a device like the iPad, with a 9.7-inch screen, may not be practical for shooting photos with a rear-facing camera, its inclusion could be utilized for augmented reality applications and games.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    A camera is the last thing I need on my iPad, this feature was pushed for by the braindead crowd.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The report made no mention of how many megapixels the cameras might be, or even how many cameras might be included on the new iPad. Largan reportedly supplies 5-megapixel lenses for the iPhone 4.

Anything more than that is overkill. The lens is going to have dust and smudges on it, just like my iPhone. It doesn't need to be hi-res.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

A camera is the last thing I need on my iPad, this feature was pushed for by the braindead crowd.

I won't buy the thing until it has a front-facing camera and the ability to make Facetime calls. I suppose that makes me part of the "braindead crowd."
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Once the iPad gets front facing camera I'll think about getting one. Would like to see retina display, the carbon fibre cover and an improved battery would be nice too. I don't think storage capacity matters on it.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Quote:

Curious and funny. You're funny zindako.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

I won't buy the thing until it has a front-facing camera and the ability to make Facetime calls. I suppose that makes me part of the "braindead crowd."

Me too
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc54321 View Post

Once the iPad gets front facing camera I'll think about getting one. Would like to see retina display, the carbon fibre cover and an improved battery would be nice too. I don't think storage capacity matters on it.

I understand the iPad has lots of empty space inside, but more battery means more weight.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:

Aren't you adorable Camera is a key feature. We are talking about video calls, augmented reality apps, real video diary apps and more. CPU, RAM and storage upgrades are not features, we know for sure that CPU and RAM will be upgraded in the next iPad. We are talking features here.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Largan reportedly supplies 5-megapixel lenses for the iPhone 4.

The author of this sentence seems to have at least two basic misunderstanding about how a camera works.

Clue: Lenses are not rated in megapixels.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mex4eric View Post

I understand the iPad has lots of empty space inside, but more battery means more weight.

And weight is really the main issue (if you can even call it an issue) with the Ipad, IMO. Apple devices tend to be on the heavy side due to their large batteries. I'm not so convinced that their battery tech is really much better than the competition, just their engineering has improved greatly to accommodate-- exhibited in the iphone 4, Ipad and now the new MB Airs.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:

Count slowly to ten, reread the article, think again, then you might realize, that cameras are not ubiquitously meant to take pictures There are a lot of applications which need camera feed to function. Augmented reality is just one of many features.

Really I am looking forward to see the iPad with front and rear camera. It will definitely be my next iPad!!
  • Reply 12 of 42
    I don't care so much about cameras. Personally, I'd forgo all cameras on the iPad and iPod Touch if we were given GPS chips!
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jabiko View Post

My thought exactly.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jabiko View Post

The author of this sentence seems to have at least two basic misunderstanding about how a camera works.

<sarcasm>

You're crazy!! Why just the other day, I was buying windows and the salesman showed me some 12.1 megapixel glass! Surely a glass camera lens would be rated the same!

</sarcasm>
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

I'm pretty sure that none of your friends want to see an "up the nose" video of you.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    It makes absolutely zero sense to have a rear-facing camera on an iPad. Are you really going to hold that thing up to take pictures with it???
  • Reply 17 of 42
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    I'd like to see Apple using two away-facing cameras on the iPhone and Touch so that we can start collecting stereo images. One camera near the top of the enclosure and one near the bottom, for use in landscape mode. I am sure that other uses for a dual camera system would be found too. Sub-pixel interpolation might be possible leading to reasonably higher resolution images for a given pixel rating. A Facetime camera on the iPad would be great.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    tjstjs Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

It makes absolutely zero sense to have a rear-facing camera on an iPad. Are you really going to hold that thing up to take pictures with it???

When I use my digital camera I don't walk around holding it up constantly. I raise it, aim and shoot a photo and then lower the camera. Why can't I do the same with an iPad?

Tim
  • Reply 19 of 42
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Several people have already pointed to augmented reality.

How about code scanning? I can see many business uses (inventory control and such) where having a camera would be essential.

Sure, for taking pictures of your friends at a party or on the beach, the iPad makes little sense. However, give app developers a little credit! Cameras open up many possibilities...
  • Reply 20 of 42
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Bageljoey was polite in his reply, so i will try to be, too.

PLEASE READ posts before you reply to them.