Amazon Kindle 'rapidly' losing e-reader market share to Apple's iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
As Apple's iPad continues its strong sales pace, the touchscreen tablet has narrowed the gap with Amazon's Kindle in terms of e-reader hardware market share.

ChangeWave on Tuesday released the results of its survey of e-reader owners. Of the 2,800 consumers polled, 47 percent said they own an Amazon Kindle, a "rapidly diminishing lead" it continues to lose as Apple's iPad gains market share.

In terms of the e-reader market, the iPad went from a 16 percent share in August to 32 percent in November. In the same time, Amazon's share plummeted 62 percent to 47 percent.

The survey also found that iPad owners are more satisfied with their purchase than those with a Kindle. Of those who own an iPad, 75 percent said they are "very satisfied" with the device, compared to 54 percent for the Kindle.

Apple also holds an advantage in terms of potential buyers. ChangeWave also found that 42 percent of customers looking to buy an e-reader in the next 90 days would get Apple's iPad, while 33 percent would opt for the Amazon Kindle.

The market for e-readers is growing as well, as 5 percent of total respondents said they are "very likely" to buy an e-reader in the next 90 days, and other 10 percent said they are "somewhat likely" to buy one within three months.

In March, before the iPad was even released, ChangeWave found that consumer interest in the Kindle had waned since Apple announced its touchscreen tablet. That survey predicted that reading books, magazines and newspapers would be a major use for the iPad, something the latest survey reaffirms.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Does Apple own ChangeWave?

Reminds me of those old Microsoft bought surveys.

Meanwhile Kindle 2's sold out in a nano second on Black Friday.
  • Reply 2 of 67
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Results sounds about right. Of course they are missing the point somewhat...Amazon doesnt lose out too badly when they dont sell a Kindle because someone bought an iPad. Where they really lose out if that same someone with an iPad uses iBooks instead of the iPad Kindle app.

I try to use iBooks, but Amazon has 10x the selection of books easily. Especially when you go outside them most popular texts. Unless iBooks signs a ton more publishing houses, Amazon and their Kindle platform will do just fine despite what the survey suggests.
  • Reply 3 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

I try to use iBooks, but Amazon has 10x the selection of books easily. Especially when you go outside them most popular texts. Unless iBooks signs a ton more publishing houses, Amazon and their Kindle platform will do just fine despite what the survey suggests.

Agreed. but more importantly besides the publishing houses Apple needs to sign on with more devices (never happen) i.e. you can't read an iBook on a Mac or a PC or a Blackberry or a Droid.

You can with a Kindle eBook.

Besides the iPad fails as an eReader- who wants to read staring into a light source?
  • Reply 4 of 67
    2,800 consumers polled when each device has sold millions? The results can't even be as large as the margin of error would be if you polled all the device owners. Extrapolating such a small sample is meaningless.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    Pointless survey. Those with a Kindle actually READ. Those with an iPad MAY read, but most likely do a lot of web browsing, emailing, etc.

And to compare the happiness of someone who spends $600 for an iPad with a lot of whiz-bang will OF COURSE rate their purchase higher than someone who buys a $139 black-and-white Kindle that is a dedicated reading machine.

I don't own either. I'm impressed by both. I do a lot of reading and really like the eInk of the Kindle. The iPad has more uses.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by op12 View Post

2,800 consumers polled when each device has sold millions? The results can't even be as large as the margin of error would be if you polled all the device owners. Extrapolating such a small sample is meaningless.

The Kindle is DOOMED!
  • Reply 7 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

Results sounds about right. Of course they are missing the point somewhat...Amazon doesnt lose out too badly when they dont sell a Kindle because someone bought an iPad. Where they really lose out if that same someone with an iPad uses iBooks instead of the iPad Kindle app.

Exactly. Amazon was smart and saw the writing on the wall when the iPad was announced. They kicked off an app within record pace.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    I think wifi only Kindle will be under $100 very soon.
  • Reply 9 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by op12 View Post

You are wrong. That's many times what's needed for an accurate sample.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Initially I planned on buying a Kindle, but I quickly forgot about that once the iPad was announced. Glad I did, too.

For me, multipurpose wins hands down.

Books

Newspapers

Magazines

Games

Web Browsing

Email

Movies

Music

AirPlay

Videos

- love it
  • Reply 11 of 67
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Besides the iPad fails as an eReader- who wants to read staring into a light source?

Groan... not that retarded rhetoric again. There is nothing 'bad' about reading on a backlit and yes, glossy, screen. It won't screw up your eye sight. You may not like it but that's totally different.
  • Reply 12 of 67
    I have no doubt that Apple will kick Kindles ass, but for now, in about 3 seconds from sending this I'm gonna unwrap my new kindle...
  • Reply 13 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Groan... not that retarded rhetoric again. There is nothing 'bad' about reading on a backlit and yes, glossy, screen. It won't screw up your eye sight. You may not like it but that's totally different.

To my ignore list, Apple fanboy. Keep reading into a light bulb.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    I brought a Kindle when they dropped the price and I'll probably get an iPad when the 2nd generation is launched. I don't really see the two as competing products. The real competition is between the two stores. Unfortunately for Apple I'll be using Amazons store. They have better selection at this point and I can read my ebooks on more devices. The small size of the Kindle lets me take it with me wherever I travel and I can rest assured that it will last through a camping trip where no power is available. If I could read iBooks books on the Kindle or another eReader, I'd consider it, but I can't.

In other news, DRM usage in eBooks is extremely anticompetitive. Pirates will always pirate, DRM or not. DRM only hurts consumers.
  • Reply 15 of 67
    I can afford neither a Kindle nor an iPad, but buying a book to read on the subway or in the doctor's waiting room vs. all the media and interactive magazines, videos, games, news, email and personal information is a "no-brainer".

I am sure you can also find an app or two that will allow you to read Amazon books, OR get you bootleg Amazon books—afterall, a book is just a collection of text and you can easily copy that.

If you're anywhere "Creative", magazines and newspapers are going to be more interative—and they will keep on coming. Finding a Kindle instead of an iPad under the Christmas tree would like getting a "lump of coal". (Well, sort of. With this Economy, I'd settle for the cash!)
  • Reply 16 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

To my ignore list, Apple fanboy. Keep reading into a light bulb.

Ballmer's illegitimate child can go back to reading "Little Women" and "Moby Dick".
  • Reply 17 of 67
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Where does the other poster claim it will ruin his or her eyes? The person merely asks who wants to read glaring into a light source. The issue is one of comfort.

If you are reading for a long period of time and for pure enjoyment it is far more comfortable reading on a Kindle. It is more analogous to reading from a book.

Reading on the iPad is fine, but is more similar to reading from a computer. After a while, your eyes feel strained.

Do a Google search on computer eye strain. I got 461, 000 hits.

Quote:

• Reply 18 of 67
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I have both and use both for different purposes. I would never settle into bed to read a book with the iPad. It simply strains my eyes after awhile. It is more comfortable reading on the Kindle for long periods.

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

I can afford neither a Kindle nor an iPad, but buying a book to read on the subway or in the doctor's waiting room vs. all the media and interactive magazines, videos, games, news, email and personal information is a "no-brainer".

I am sure you can also find an app or two that will allow you to read Amazon books, OR get you bootleg Amazon books?afterall, a book is just a collection of text and you can easily copy that.

If you're anywhere "Creative", magazines and newspapers are going to be more interative?and they will keep on coming. Finding a Kindle instead of an iPad under the Christmas tree would like getting a "lump of coal". (Well, sort of. With this Economy, I'd settle for the cash!)

• Reply 19 of 67
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Where does the other poster claim it will ruin his or her eyes? The person merely asks who wants to read glaring into a light source. The issue is one of comfort.

If you are reading for a long period of time and for pure enjoyment it is far more comfortable reading on a Kindle. It is more analogous to reading from a book.

Reading on the iPad is fine, but is more similar to reading from a computer. After a while, your eyes feel strained.

Do a Google search on computer eye strain. I got 461, 000 hits.

I love the "do a search number of hits equals truth" argument. I did a "Kindle sucks" search and got 397,000 hits. Therefore, the Kindle sucks.

Except it doesn't, of course, and LCD reading comfort is a matter of preference. I guess I'm obliged to point out, as must be pointed out every time this topic comes up, that hundreds of millions of people spend the entire day reading text on LCD monitor screens and they don't seem to be clamoring for e-ink.

The Nook Color seems to be faring pretty well, and there's lots of talk that Amazon is preparing a color model (which inevitably means LCD or AMOLED) to remain competitive.

I guess I could play the Apple basher's favorite card here, and roll my eyes about how the Kindle "fan boys" will not doubt declare a color LCD screen awesome once Amazon adopts it, but I'm better than that.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    I now own a kindle and an iPad. Like someone posted earlier, they don't really compete...yet. But when e-ink technology matures I guarantee apple will release a competing product, but done properly. I have only owned it for 10 minutes and I'm thinking 'if this was an Apple product it would work like...' much room for improvement, but til then I have the best of both worlds.