Verizon 4G LTE launches Sunday with high-speed plans starting at $50

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Verizon's high-speed 4G long-term evolution network, which the company's CEO has publicly said Apple is interested in, will debut this weekend, bringing 10 times faster download speeds to USB modems this year, and smartphones in 2011.

Verizon announced that it will launch the world's first large-scale 4G LTE network this Sunday, Dec. 5 in 38 metropolitan areas and more than 60 commercial airports across the U.S. Data plans will run $50 for 5GB per month, or $80 for 10GB.

4G LTE mobile broadband offers speeds up to 10 times faster than Verizon's current 3G network. The carrier has said it expects real-world data rates of between 5 and 12 megabits per second downstream, and 2 to 5 Mbps up.

"Beginning Sunday, Verizon Wireless is making the best network even better," said Dan Mead, president and chief executive officer of Verizon Wireless. "Our initial 4G LTE launch gives customers access to the fastest and most advanced mobile network in America and immediately reaches more than one-third of all Americans, right where they live.

"That's just the start. We will quickly expand 4G LTE, and by 2013 will reach the existing Verizon Wireless 3G coverage area."

Access to the 4G network will be limited at launch to two USB modems. Verizon has said that smartphones with access to the 4G network will be introduced next year.

While the initial launch is limited to 38 markets and 60 major airports, covering 110 million people, Verizon has said that its 4G network will be nationwide by 2013.

"We are building our 4G LTE network with the same commitment to performance and reliability for which we have long been recognized," Mead said. "Our commitment to superior network performance, combined with broad 4G coverage areas and the strong value of our data plans make 4G LTE Mobile Broadband the best choice for laptop users."

Verizon's 4G network could play a major role in the future of the iPhone. Currently the iPhone is exclusive to rival carrier AT&T in the U.S., but numerous mainstream media outlets have indicated that the iPhone will debut on the Verizon network in early 2011.

In an interview last month, Verizon Chief Executive Ivan Seidenberg said his company's 4G network has attracted the attention of Apple. Talks between the two companies regarding the 4G network eventually led to the iPad being sold through Verizon, bundled with a MiFi mobile hotspot. He did not, however, indicate whether the iPhone is coming to Verizon.

While Verizon has wider 3G coverage than AT&T, its bandwidth speeds are slower than the exclusive carrier of the iPhone in the U.S. A recent third-party test found that AT&T's network is 20 to 60 percent faster than its competitors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    This isn't 'real' 4G though is it? Not my area of expertise.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    One can only hope. By the way if you are wondering why some of is would like to see USB ports in the iPad here is a good example.

The rates are a bit stiff so a sale isn't given. This is an issue that can best be resolved with stiff competition.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Aren't these the same prices as their current 3G network? If so, since this is so much faster, you will run up against your plans data cap a lot faster as well.

Seems like a good deal for Verizon. Offer a much faster service with the same prices but since people will probably end up using it more they will end up paying a lot more.

Time to buy some Verizon stock.

-kpluck
  • Reply 4 of 38
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Are those real world speeds or theoretical speeds?
  • Reply 5 of 38
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Oh cool. OK- so a faster network means higher prices. Dumbasses. so when is SPRINT getting the iPhone?
  • Reply 6 of 38
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This isn't 'real' 4G though is it? Not my area of expertise.

Why do you say that? It's 4G LTE, 4G LTE Advanced is a whole other 'can of worms' however.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Theoretical is 100 Mbps downstream, so I would presume 5-12 is real world.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CLEAR4G View Post

Have you seen Clearwire's official response? Find out what they think the definition of 4G is. http://www.clear.com/blog/2010/12/01...n-soup-debate/

By the way @Wizard69, you CAN get 4G on the iPad. Clear's iSpot gives you unlimited data for $25/mo. Check the site for details.

Wizard69 probably meant an iPad with 4G radios inside. Meaning it doesn't need a mobile hotspot device to use 4G. Like the original iPad comes with 3G radios inside of it.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Why do you say that? It's 4G LTE, 4G LTE Advanced is a whole other 'can of worms' however.

Well as I said it's not my area I thought it required 100 Mbps d/l speeds but I read many things like this on CNN only today, so it is confusing ...

CNN: "What all of these so-called 4G networks have in common is that they don't meet the technical specification for a real fourth-gen network. But these high-speed wireless networks are the best mainstream ones we have in the United States" http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/....4g/index.html

And more here:

http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/01/tech...myth/index.htm
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Quote:

Well as I said it's not my area but I read many things like this on CNN only today, so it is confusing ...

CNN: "What all of these so-called 4G networks have in common is that they don't meet the technical specification for a real fourth-gen network. But these high-speed wireless networks are the best mainstream ones we have in the United States" http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/....4g/index.html

In a way, CNN are correct by saying that it does not meet the specs of a 4G [LTE A] network, but LTE, LTE A, & WiMax are all commonly referred to as "4G" which is why there's a grey area in cases like this.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

In a way, CNN are correct by saying that it does not meet the specs of a 4G [LTE A] network, but LTE, LTE A, & WiMax are all commonly referred to as "4G" which is why there's a grey area in cases like this.

Ok I get it, the term 4G is being corrupted by marketing spin. So my initial question at the top of the thread wasn't such a strange question after all as in not deserving the 'Why would you say that?' comment.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

One can only hope. By the way if you are wondering why some of is would like to see USB ports in the iPad here is a good example.

You don't need a USB port for that. Verizon will probably have WiFi hotspots that connect to their 4G network. And even failing that, they'll have devices that connect to the dock port.

Why do people keep begging for a physical USB port when there are alternate ways of achieving the same objective?

Thompson
  • Reply 13 of 38
    I wonder what their LTE cell phone data plans are going to cost since these plans are just for their mobile broadband cards.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    almaalma Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Verizon's 4G network could play a major role in the future of the iPhone.

I expect the iPhone to be the first 4G phone on Verizon. It all fits.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    almaalma Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Aren't these the same prices as their current 3G network? If so, since this is so much faster, you will run up against your plans data cap a lot faster as well.

How does that work? The webpages load faster, but contain no more data.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Isn't that pretty expensive? $50/month? That's just for data isn't it? AT&T's current rate is $30/month, I think, isn't it? And, it's too high for me, considering how there are four phones in our family...
  • Reply 17 of 38
    According to many not just CNN, there is no true 4G yet and not going to be for awhile. It's all marketing spin:

4G is a myth (and a confusing mess)

http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/01/tech...myth/index.htm
  • Reply 18 of 38
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Well as I said it's not my area I thought it required 100 Mbps d/l speeds but I read many things like this on CNN only today, so it is confusing ...

Under the IMT Advanced requirements 4G requires that the technology be capable of 1000Mbps (1Gbps). This is why Verizon's LTE is NOT 4G as it can only do 100Mbps. LTE Advanced will most likely make the grade, but that is not slated for certification until 2011.

What is VERY sad is that they are calling their service "4G" yet the speeds are only 25% of 3G speeds. I really would love to see the hammer fall on the use of "4G" as it is being mis-used and purposely misrepresented by companies like Verizon.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Isn't that pretty expensive? $50/month? That's just for data isn't it? AT&T's current rate is $30/month, I think, isn't it? And, it's too high for me, considering how there are four phones in our family...

I thought the same thing. Looks like I'm going to be using 3G for a long time because 4G will put me in the poor house.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

What is VERY sad is that they are calling their service "4G" yet the speeds are only 25% of 3G speeds. I really would love to see the hammer fall on the use of "4G" as it is being mis-used and purposely misrepresented by companies like Verizon.

I'd love to see the hammer fall on pricing plans to get them in line (price to speed) with the rest of the planet.