USB Wifi boost

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm looking for a USB wifi booster, or transceiver, or whatever they are called.

I've found several 500mw, and a couple 1000mw, & a 2000mw. I would have assumed that the 2000mw would result in the greatest reception, though one of the only comments I could find about it was how the 1000mw one provided better reception. Any thoughts?

Also, I've seen a few 500mw ones with up to 300Mbps, but most of the 1000mw I've looked at were either 150mbps, or 54mbps.. As far as any of you know, are there any 1000mw ones with 300mbps?

I just started looking into these about 45 minutes ago, and know very little about them. After seeing some of them, I assumed I'd be able to find a g/n, 1000mw, 300mbps, and that having the biggest combination of numbers, that would be the one I should go with.

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    DIY, get twice the range, and save your bucks.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

DIY, get twice the range, and save your bucks.

Thank you. I'm trying to use one with my MacBook, and was hoping for a simple USB solution. Would I have to open up my MB, and augment the antenna?

Any idea what performance this makeshift antenna results in? I am wondering what the relevance of the numbers I mentioned are.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LotharSNL View Post

Thank you. I'm trying to use one with my MacBook, and was hoping for a simple USB solution. Would I have to open up my MB, and augment the antenna?

I guess you would have to. But I strongly recommend you don't.

I'm not aware of a "USB solution" for your MB, sorry.

Quote:

Any idea what performance this makeshift antenna results in?

Your guess is as good as mine, really. There are many variables at play: the quality of the original components and workmanship, ditto of the mod. But hey, it's a dime in material cost! Worth the experiment if you have a PC, if you ask me.

But you have a Mac...

Quote:

I am wondering what the relevance of the numbers I mentioned are.

I haven't a clue. But personally I'm not sure I would want to know. Because something tells me you need a college degree in electronics to comprehend this...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks for the input!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

I guess you would have to. But I strongly recommend you don't.

I'm not aware of a "USB solution" for your MB, sorry.

Your guess is as good as mine, really. There are many variables at play: the quality of the original components and workmanship, ditto of the mod. But hey, it's a dime in material cost! Worth the experiment if you have a PC, if you ask me.

But you have a Mac...

I haven't a clue. But personally I'm not sure I would want to know. Because something tells me you need a college degree in electronics to comprehend this...