Gameloft, Advent calendar and Android fragmentation.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Gameloft started an advent calendar type promotion where each day leading up to Christmas they will give away an iOS or Android game for free, which they announce on Twitter.

Day one was Driver for iOS, I downloaded it from iTunes installed it not a bad game, a few appreciative comments on my twitter feed much happiness and gratitude all around.

Day two was a promo video for an upcoming iOS game, meh, it was ok.

Day three Dungeon Hunter for Android, BAM that's when the s**t hit the fan, my twitter feed exploded with complaint after complaint from Android users who could not get it to work with their device, Gameloft has gone into damage control mode with advice on what to do i.e. get the game from Gamelofts site and not the Android market, their are complaints of crashing, of Asphalt 5 being downloaded (NOT free) by mistake, game not working on some phones but working on others.

#gameloft is the twitter feed, Gameloft has been forced to extend the Dragon Hunter for Android offer for another 24 hours.

If I was a game developer it is things like this which would steer me away from Android with it's OBVIOUS fragmentation issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Holy smokes, the twitter feed really does tell the story, doesn't it? It's like they're being held hostage by Android, obliged to continually promise Android goodies to come (to no doubt indignant Fandroids, bitterly denouncing anyone who would pander to that horrible iPhone) while basking in the good vibes from iPhone owners, then desperately doing damage control after the free game starts acting up in the wild.

It's going to be really interesting to see if this kind of stuff starts to put the breaks on Android's growth. At some point word gets around that there are hassles involved, you know someone that got pissed because something didn't work, etc.