Happy Independence Day 2002!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
To a nation I love second only to my own,

It's just turned 4th July 2002 here so it gives me great pleasure to wish you all a Happy Independence Day!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]To a nation I love second only to my own,<hr></blockquote>

Hehe. The Canadians aren't going to like comments like those.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Well it's not yet the 4th yet, but thanks buddy
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Happy 4th, Americanians!

(and it really is the 4th now)
  • Reply 4 of 17
    For some reason it's not a holiday here in Germany. I don't get it.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    [quote]For some reason it's not a holiday here in Germany. I don't get it. <hr></blockquote>

LOL
  • Reply 6 of 17
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Happy 4th, i wish that the sky will be clear today and that you can enjoy very nice fireworks.

PS : to Jamie, now that you are a mod , you are not oblige to say this
  • Reply 6 of 17
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    thank you Jamie...6 minutes to go out here in Mountain time...have a good and safe fourth everyone...g
  • Reply 8 of 17
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    People in my neighborhood have been shooting off firecrackers and "small explosives" for the better part of the evening.

Getting an early start, I guess.

Cool thing (I remember this from last year), from where my apartment is, I can stand on my porch and see a pretty wide, sweeping view of the horizon, from the north, and sweeping clockwise to the south/southeast.

I can stand there and see three separate fireworks displays, in their entirety, from the porch, across the horizon.

One is up north of me, at Camp Pendleton, the two more to the east and south.

Last year, it was quite cool to stand on my porch, with a beer in hand, and just watch the horizon and enjoy three simultaneous displays! They all started within 5 or so minutes of each other too, so that was cool.

Probably do it again tomorrow night. Gonna stay in and avoid the crowds, traffic, roadblocks, etc.

Happy Fourth of July!

• Reply 9 of 17
    arnold2arnold2 Posts: 29member
    Can we have our former colony back please ?

(from England)

• Reply 10 of 17
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Have a safe and happy one.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    falkolfalkol Posts: 59member
    [quote]Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights:

<strong>For some reason it's not a holiday here in Germany. I don't get it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

At least we have October 3rd.

Happy Independence Day, folks!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    Yes, Happy Independence Day, we're much better off without you
  • Reply 13 of 17
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    We will one day reclaim our former colony, make the rebels our slaves and copulate with their females.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    [quote]Originally posted by MarcUK:

<strong>We will one day reclaim our former colony, make the rebels our slaves and copulate with their females. </strong><hr></blockquote>

maybe the original colonies. but the rest of the country will kick yer asses...
  • Reply 15 of 17
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:

<strong>

maybe the original colonies. but the rest of the country will kick yer asses...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Since I currently reside in PA, I resent that!!!

• Reply 16 of 17
    spaceman_spiffspaceman_spiff Posts: 1,242member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jamie:

<strong>To a nation I love second only to my own,

It's just turned 4th July 2002 here so it gives me great pleasure to wish you all a Happy Independence Day!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank you very much, Jamie.

Was going to start a new thread for this story but this is a good home for it, I think. It's an immigrant's Independence Day story.

<a href="http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-volokh070302.asp"; target="_blank">Courage</a>

America, the great unknown.

By Eugene Volokh

[quote]My parents left the Soviet Union on June 13, 1975 - 27 years ago this summer - with my brother (age 2) and me (age 7) in tow. Fortunately, we didn't have to jump over the Berlin Wall, or try to paddle across the Black Sea. As Jews, we were allowed to leave, thanks to America, which more or less bought us in exchange for grain shipments to the Soviets.

But here's the part that's odd to Americans: My parents left having no real idea of what life in the U.S. is like. Imagine that you wanted to move to France. What would you do? Why, you'd talk to some Frenchmen. You'd talk to some Americans who had been to France. You'd read some reliable books about France. You'd visit there. You might even move there for a couple of months and see how you'd like it.

None of this was possible for my parents, or for tens of thousands of others like them. The Soviet Union was a closed society. Travel to the West was virtually impossible. Western tourists were closely guarded.

Western books and magazines were banned. Voice of America was jammed; and when you could listen to it - as my parents often could, albeit clandestinely - you couldn't know for sure whether it was accurate or not. There were no other sources to compare it to, other than the Soviet government's anti-American slanders...<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 17 of 17
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Happy Independence Day, Algeria! Have a safe and happy one.