Foxconn to ship next-gen iPad in next 100 days

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn will begin shipping Apple's next-generation iPad within the next 100 days, allowing Apple to stock up for an April launch, a new report claims.

After checks with Taiwan-based component makers, industry publication DigiTimes reported Tuesday that Foxconn is set to ship the iPad 2 by the end of February 2011, with initial shipments of 400,000-600,000 units. Tuesday's report echoes an earlier report from the publication that claimed suppliers would ramp up shipments of iPad 2 components in the first quarter of 2011.

Apple had reportedly planned to begin mass production of the device in January, but ongoing testing of the new iPad's firmware has apparently forced Apple to postpone its schedule. But the iPad is still expected to launch in April, a year after the first-generation device debuted.

According to the report, Foxconn's new production plants in Chengdu are still in "pilot production," so the iPad 2 will be mainly supplied by the company's Shenzhen plants.

In preparation for a spring launch of the second generation of Apple's successful tablet device, production of the original iPad is expected to drop off in early February. According to DigiTimes' sources, Apple will still place orders for an estimated 1.6-1.8 million iPads through the end of January before reducing orders.

In September, sources told AppleInsider that Apple would introduce FaceTime-equipped next-gen iPads by the end of the first quarter of 2011, ahead of the usual 12-month product cycle. In November, rumors emerged that the next iPad will be a "world mode" device with both GSM and CDMA radios, allowing it to work on a variety of networks.

In the U.S., Verizon has already begun selling the iPad, though it currently only offers the Wi-Fi-only model bundled with a MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot. The iPad 3G model is not compatible with Verizon's CDMA network.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    Cool! I sort of hope it's sooner, but a little over 3 months sounds about right.
  • Reply 2 of 88
    In a word, SWEET!

I bought the low end 16GB WiFi model when the iPad first came out since I wasn't sure if I'd find it worth the money. It was! So much so I plan on buying the highest end version of the iPad 2 when it's released. Would that be 64GB with 3G? Or maybe 128GB with 4G? Some other combination? I guess time will tell...
  • Reply 3 of 88
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    I passed on the 1st gen. Hope there is something compelling with the 2nd.
  • Reply 4 of 88
    Hope it has a Retina display. That would be enough incentive to upgrade. I often simultaneously use two iPads now... I wonder if three will fit in my workflow. Am I the only one who wishes someone would come out with a dual iPad case? One on each side when it opens like a book.

I wonder if they keep the old model around like the 3GS after the iPad 2 is released?
  • Reply 5 of 88
    Yes, I always pass on 1st Gen apple products as we all know Apple will bust a move with a better upgrade for the iPad 2. I hope its a Retina Display and front facing camera for facetime.
  • Reply 6 of 88
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I think I will wait til Feb to buy myself a Christmas present this year...
  • Reply 7 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Anything in particular you're hoping for?

For me I'm hitting mines 16GB limit hard, and 3G would be great for being out and about without having to juggle a MiFi unit too. I would just get the current model's high end, but figure I may as well wait for iPad 2 since it's probably right around the corner.

Anyways, I hope it'll have a Retina Display; thus doubling the pixel count like iPhone 4 did. Also a CPU and GPU speed bump would be nice since I do so much away from home gaming on mine. More RAM couldn't hurt too. Could care less about a camera(s) since I use my iPhone's camera anyways. For FaceTime it might be nice, except nobody I know has an iPhone or Mac so I'd just be talking to myself there.
  • Reply 8 of 88
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Retina Display on iPad would be impossible. Currently it has 1024x768, much more than iPhone4. To double that it would be impossible for current hardware, or in the near future, to push that much pixels on a mobile dvice.
  • Reply 9 of 88
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Random checks with random asians predict a new version of iPad within a generally accepted period of time spanning more than three months.

Wow this is amazing!!
  • Reply 10 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Retina Display on iPad would be impossible. Currently it has 1024x768, much more than iPhone4. To double that it would be impossible for current hardware, or in the near future, to push that much pixels on a mobile dvice.

While the iPhone-style Retina display may be out of reach for the iPad at this time, it is possible that one of the newer higher-resolution displays (such as those found on the MacBook Air) might make it to the iPad.

Personally, I'm skeptical about such matters however Apple has a history of improving feature sets and functionality over major price reductions.

Doubling screen resolution would be rather difficult at this time.
  • Reply 11 of 88
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

Wow this is amazing!!

Dude that's nothing - my sources tell me the entire Mac line will be updated... in the next 12 months. This site is about quantity not quality. Some poor dude in Asia or Eastern Europe is getting paid to put up a minimum of X articles a day. You can tell he is really trying, and it's ok, but that does not hide the obviousness of the situation.
  • Reply 12 of 88
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Hope it has a Retina display. That would be enough incentive to upgrade. I often simultaneously use two iPads now... I wonder if three will fit in my workflow. Am I the only one who wishes someone would come out with a dual iPad case? One on each side when it opens like a book.

I wonder if they keep the old model around like the 3GS after the iPad 2 is released?

I seriously doubt that Apple will bump the resolution up to 2048x1536/263.92 dot pitch, which is about all they can really do and still keep complete compatibility with current iPad/HD apps.

Even if they do that, it still won't match the iPhone4's pixel density of 329.65, therefore NOT meeting the 'magical' 300 pixel destiny required to be called a 'retina display'.

We'll See, but it's highly doubtful from a cost/practical perspective.
  • Reply 13 of 88
    2nd Generation IPAD probably will have a feature or two that we're not expecting. After all now the competition is out there.

Maybe a built in BLU-Ray player, Maybe a built in T.V. Tuner who knows?????????????
  • Reply 14 of 88
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    LOL yeah this just in - Apple is set to refresh its products at least once a year. OMFG

In any case I'm glad I got my iPad in July/August this year. Been enjoying it ever since. I wonder what the next gen will bring, it's pretty compelling as it is. They could cut down the weight, the aluminium unibody strength of the iPad is kinda overkill. It is really tough and sturdy, you could beat someone with it.
  • Reply 15 of 88
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by James Beatty View Post

Anything in particular you're hoping for?

For me I'm hitting mines 16GB limit hard, and 3G would be great for being out and about without having to juggle a MiFi unit too. I would just get the current model's high end, but figure I may as well wait for iPad 2 since it's probably right around the corner.

Yeah I have to say I'm glad I went straight away with 32GB, at the same time 3G has been absolutely essential for emergencies.

RAM will be bumped to 512MB at least for shure.
  • Reply 16 of 88
    Second gen iPad shall be mine! I waited long enough.
  • Reply 17 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

2nd Generation IPAD probably will have a feature or two that we're not expecting. After all now the competition is out there.

Maybe a built in BLU-Ray player, Maybe a built in T.V. Tuner who knows?????????????

wow. i mean yeah, it will likely have something unexpected, but seriously, you picked the two least likely things the ipad will ever have

a blu ray player in an ipad? seriously? which mac even has the option of having a blu ray player? even the mac pro, intended for video professionals, etc, doesn't even have the build to order option of a blu ray player.

and tv tuner... only one (unsuccessful) apple product has ever had one

honestly, i wouldn't be surprised if the next ipad was just a spec bump.
  • Reply 18 of 88
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,090member
    Quote:

There will never be a 2nd gen. Just wait.. 12 seconds after the new iPad is introduced, you'll hear from the typical trollers on how it's actually a 1st-gen of the Rev B which by default, goes right back to a rev A unit.

I'm actually buying two of them. One for me and one as a gift. Unfortunately, I will have to wrap a mock-iPad photograph under the tree. I'm sure my significant-other will understand. She's totally waiting for the new iPad as well. It will be a fun and very delayed Christmas.
  • Reply 19 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macbook831 View Post

Yes, I always pass on 1st Gen apple products as we all know Apple will bust a move with a better upgrade for the iPad 2. I hope its a Retina Display and front facing camera for facetime.

Personally, I Always skip 1st and 2nd generation products from Apple as I know that by the 3rd generation they really will have made a better product. I'm looking for a 3D Retina display, stereo speakers with built-in subwoofer to replace the current tinny sounding setup, at least 500GB of storage and the latest Intel chip from the MacBook Air - boy will this baby scream!

Luckily there are enough mugs around to buy those early versions so that Apple actually sell enough to make it worthwhile to make the one I'm waiting for ...
  • Reply 20 of 88
    Quote:

I bought the first one and love it.

I will also be buying the 2nd version.

Use mine for surfing the net and mail, planning stuff for work, drawing art for work, editing stuff in Pages, making presentations for work, referencing my huge collection of PDFs and of course for the occasional game and movie. Oh, and managing photos, writing music... It is awesome.

Can only imagine these tasks will get even better on the next version.