All monitors work on a Macbook pro?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've got a Macbook Pro and need to add an additional monitor. Now, this may be a dumb question and I apologize beforehand but, do all monitors work fine on the Mac? I've seen loads (on Amazon for example) which only state PC. Is this the case or will they still work?

cheers in advance for the info!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    As long as an adapter exists, it will work. It's not 1994 anymore; we have standards now.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As long as an adapter exists, it will work. It's not 1994 anymore; we have standards now.

Hey, I did apologize beforehand

Thanks anyway!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    You will have to buy a displayport to DVI or displayport to VGA adapter for almost any monitor, though. Apple sells them or there are third-party adapters which should work but aren't guaranteed.

For best results, you should get a monitor with a DisplayPort input. They're hard to find but they're out there. Those would not need an adapter, just a cable with a mini-DP connector on one end.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

You will have to buy a displayport to DVI or displayport to VGA adapter for almost any monitor, though. Apple sells them or there are third-party adapters which should work but aren't guaranteed.

For best results, you should get a monitor with a DisplayPort input. They're hard to find but they're out there. Those would not need an adapter, just a cable with a mini-DP connector on one end.

Thanks for the info.

I have been looking out for these but have only managed to find one so far. I'm not splashing out almost a grand for an apple monitor either.
  • Reply 5 of 15

All monitors do NOT work on a Macbook Pro.  I am using a MacBook Pro at this very moment.  I've got two monitors on my desk which simply do not work with the machine and you can be sure they're not dated from 1994.  Both of the monitors are from around 2005.  

So, perhaps in the future you will not give such cock-sure, snotty answers when, in fact, you don't know what you're talking about.  Had you tested "all" monitors with a Macbook Pro ?  Evidently not.

• Reply 6 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SofaKingGreat View Post

All monitors do NOT work on a Macbook Pro.  I am using a MacBook Pro at this very moment.  I've got two monitors on my desk which simply do not work with the machine and you can be sure they're not dated from 1994.  Both of the monitors are from around 2005.  

So, perhaps in the future you will not give such cock-sure, snotty answers when, in fact, you don't know what you're talking about.  Had you tested "all" monitors with a Macbook Pro ?  Evidently not.

Thanks for not actually providing any examples or evidence. I'm certainly going to take your statement, which boils down to nothing more than "you're wrong", into consideration.

• Reply 7 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by SofaKingGreat View Post

Which monitors are you using? I only ask, because every monitor I've tried with either a...

- VGA

- DVI

- HDMI

- Mini Display Port (that one is a given)

...has always worked. I've had to use the Mini DP to "X" adapter for the first 3 though.

• Reply 8 of 15
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thanks for not actually providing any examples or evidence. I'm certainly going to take your statement, which boils down to nothing more than "you're wrong", into consideration.

They would need to work with the appropriate protocols. Beyond that testing can often turn up issues of incompatibility. Note some tests from one manufacturer. This is intended as a fairly generic reference, but it's good to check for compliance and to understand what is supported by a given connection type. Even adapters have to be tested. I'd never assume they'll work and order one on that assumption if it's time critical.

• Reply 9 of 15
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member

I had a "new" monitor this spring that would not work with a new mac mini. So, yea, there out there. The number of monitors that won't work has got to be really small though, just make sure you buy from someplace that will take it back if it doesn't work.

• Reply 10 of 15

What brand/model of monitor was it?

• Reply 11 of 15
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member

Quote:

Originally Posted by inhalexhale View Post

What brand/model of monitor was it?

I don't remember, it was a cheap one.I  replaced it with an acer and it worked. It was real strange, it just said "no signal,I tried several adapters and it just wouldn't work with the mini. I wouldn't worry about it though, getting one that won't work is next to impossible, I'm just lucky that way...image

• Reply 12 of 15
    I recently bought an LG monitor (it's at the office, and I'm at home, so don't have access to the model). It definitely doesn't work with MacBook Pro. LG's bored customer service rep says to download their service manual. But it can only be downloaded if you install IE. And then, to update the damned thing, you have to install some sort of PC complaint software. So if you're looking for a monitor that doesn't work, shop LG!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by hankscott View Post

I recently bought an LG monitor (it's at the office, and I'm at home, so don't have access to the model). It definitely doesn't work with MacBook Pro.

Of course it does. What model?

And then, to update the damned thing, you have to install some sort of PC complaint software.

It's a display. What could possibly need updating?

• Reply 14 of 15
    groggygroggy Posts: 1member

Well said! I have my hands full trying to find some truth out there regarding exactly what is possible  when it comes to getting an average monitor to work with my MacBook Pro. I don't need some Cocky know all that actually knows very little 'muddying the waters' even more. Basically i have spent just about everything i have buying my Mac and i am really disappointed that i cant use an external monitor without paying Apple a load more money for leads, converters, etc.

Does anybody know of a cheaper option?

• Reply 15 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    groggy wrote: »
    Well said! I have my hands full trying to find some truth out there regarding exactly what is possible  when it comes to getting an average monitor to work with my MacBook Pro. I don't need some Cocky know all that actually knows very little 'muddying the waters' even more. Basically i have spent just about everything i have buying my Mac and i am really disappointed that i cant use an external monitor without paying Apple a load more money for leads, converters, etc.

Does anybody know of a cheaper option?

If you got a Retina MBP with HDMI, a simple HDMI to DVI adaptor will work or if the monitor has HDMI, just an HDMI cable. If it only has Thunderbolt or mini-displayport, a mini-displayport to DVI adaptor will work on both. You can get them on eBay if you don't want to buy Apple's ones:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Display-Port-to-DVI-Adapter-MB570Z-A-Apple-Mac-MacBook-Pro-Air-/281120725665

There's also mini-dp to VGA and HDMI but DVI will work with most displays.