Architectural drawings reveal Apple's $1.7M Berkeley, Calif., store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple will spend $1.7 million to renovate a building for its new store in Northern California with 4,455 square feet of retail space, plans associated with the store have shown.

The 15 pounds worth of plans for the store on Fourth Street in Berkeley, Calif., were discovered by Gary Allen of ifoAppleStore.com. Based on the documentation, the store could open in less than a year, by Fall 2011.

Apple plans to occupy the property at 1823 Fourth St., which was previously used by an animal adoption agency to display animals. Apple's plans call for it to retain the general appearance of the current structure, with 15-foot tall glass windows on the building's front.

Apple plans to expand the ground floor for retail, as well as add a partial second level at the rear of the property for back-of-house operations. Apple will also add an elevator, two stairways, bathrooms, and upgraded electrical and heating-air conditioning systems.

In the retail floor, the Berkeley store will sport the standard tables for products and training, as well as a 17-seat Genius Bar. The architect for the $1.7 million project is listed as MBH Architects of Alameda, Calif.

The plans, filed in mid-November, give a glimpse at one of Apple's upcoming stores planned to open in 2011. In October, the Mac maker revealed that it plans to dramatically expand its retail operations in its 2011 fiscal year.

Apple plans to open between 40 and 50 new locations worldwide in the next year, half of which will be located outside of the U.S. Currently, Apple operates 317 stores, 84 of which are overseas.

In addition to building new stores in the coming year, Apple also has plans for a wave of replacements for some of the company's existing, aging stores in the U.S.

For more on the upcoming Berkeley store, see the full story at ifoAppleStore.com.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I know that location well, living in Oakland as I do.

Fourth street has been around for years-- It's actually one of the first upscale "urban malls" that uses a unified architectural theme and a calibrated mix of retailers along a stretch of preexisting road to create a "destination" shopping area.

It's a bit more upscale and local that the usual premium mix-- along with the usual stuff like Pete's Coffee, Sur la Table and a Crate and Barrel outlet there's a Japanese bedding store, an architectural book store, local high end gardening, toy and lighting stores, and a few nice restaurants.

My one concern would be that Apple add a parking structure-- parking is very tight over there as it is and the kind of traffic an Apple Store can generate could make it horrible, without some kind of mitigation.

I see it's down at one of the street, at the site of the former Slater/Marinoff furniture store-- guess there's not quite the demand for super expensive home furnishings as there once was. In fact, I could see how the property managers of Fourth Street would be keen to attract a tenant like the Apple Store, since their mix is possibly no longer viable, given the economy (not much for the super-rich, not much for the average wage earner). They need a little more mid-tier upscale, I would think, and an Apple Store certainly fits the bill-- plus it will generate tons of foot traffic.

Not really any place for new parking, although there is a big lot across the way that might be in play. Hope so.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Very odd location for an Apple store.

Terrible parking, and not that far from the existing Emeryville store. I wonder if that one will be closed?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    tedktedk Posts: 16member
    I live in Berkeley, and this is a very pleasant surprise! There is another Apple store a couple miles away in Emeryville, but I'll be able to ride my bike to the new one. Soon Apple stores will be as numerous as Starbucks?!
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Terrible parking, and not that far from the existing Emeryville store. I wonder if that one will be closed?

The Emeryville location is kind of sucky. It's next to an IKEA and the access road is a shortcut between a big box development and the freeway, so getting to and from is a bit trying. No free parking, plus the AMC anchor theater means its always overrun by bored kids killing time.

I think the whole development is poorly designed, with a penned in claustrophobic feel arising from th very narrow main street and the multiple stories of residential development above the retail. It's a popular model for urban shopping, but the execution here is less "European retail district" and more "Pottery Barn nightmare."
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

Maybe not far as the crow flies, but for Berkeley and points north it's a pain in the ass to get to and from, so I reckon they'll have plenty of customers.

I could see Apple closing the Emeryville, location, however. The Bay Street shopping thing was obviously intended to be the usual upscale mix, but somehow has become the roaming grounds of urban youth (which is actually sort of hilarious). I imagine a lot of the tenants over there (not to mention the residents of the expensive condos up top) are scratching their heads as to how the foot traffic got so utterly un-Williams Sonoma. I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been a move to tenants more in line with who actually shows up-- it might mean adjusting the prevailing lease rates.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Why should it have to close?

There are two Apple stores in Palo Alto, CA.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    What is that, $1.5M to secure the real estate, and $200k for the renovation?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Why should it have to close?

There are two Apple stores in Palo Alto, CA.

As I say above, the vibe of the development is kind of changing out from under Apple's usual demographics.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Maybe not far as the crow flies, but for Berkeley and points north it's a pain in the ass to get to and from, so I reckon they'll have plenty of customers.

I could see Apple closing the Emeryville, location, however. The Bay Street shopping thing was obviously intended to be the usual upscale mix, but somehow has become the roaming grounds of urban youth (which is actually sort of hilarious). I imagine a lot of the tenants over there (not to mention the residents of the expensive condos up top) are scratching their heads as to how the foot traffic got so utterly un-Williams Sonoma. I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been a move to tenants more in line with who actually shows up-- it might mean adjusting the prevailing lease rates.

I usually do everything I can to stay away from that Emeryville location. Not only is the traffic setup a mess there, but the demographics of people that loiter in that area is usually a bit too rough for me to want to deal with. It's too close to Oakland and Richmond that it attracts the rougher element.

I guess I've been away from that location for so long, I had no idea an Apple store even existed there. I always worry my car will be broken into or my motorbike will get stolen.

I suppose Apple thinks it's a good place to have a retail presence. I for one would not think so. I suppose if they close that store, it will be in the news everywhere and will be a slap in the face for Emeryville's image.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    The 4th street location would only be 4.7 miles for me, with no freeway driving (and it's right across the street from Bette's Ocean Diner). Sweet. The Emeryville Apple Store is 8 miles away with freeway driving. Parking is the big problem in Berkeley. So what's new?

If you're really that afraid of "urban youth" just head over to the Walnut Creek store.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

The 4th street location would only be 4.7 miles for me, with no freeway driving (and it's right across the street from Bette's Ocean Diner). Sweet. The Emeryville Apple Store is 8 miles away with freeway driving. Parking is the big problem in Berkeley. So what's new?

If you're really that afraid of "urban youth" just head over to the Walnut Creek store.

And rub elbows with those sweater wearing, SUV driving bastards? Hell no!

I prefer my rich people in hippy drag, thank you very much.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    I have a feeling the Emeryville store will continue. Emeryville is, after all, the location for Pixar, and has its other roots in music and arts, with the excellent Ex'pression College of Digital Arts (one of the best Audio Engineering/Arts curriculum in the country). It used to be a rundown area, with a city history of graft and corruption going back decades, but was revitalized with housing and urban marketplaces similar to the one you are describing. The area is still in the midst of "gentrification" (hate that word, but it describes it fairly accurately), so there are still elements of unease surrounding the area, which sits between Berkeley and Oakland (for those who may not know).
  • Reply 13 of 17
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I usually do everything I can to stay away from that Emeryville location. Not only is the traffic setup a mess there, but the demographics of people that loiter in that area is usually a bit too rough for me to want to deal with. It's too close to Oakland and Richmond that it attracts the rougher element.

I guess I've been away from that location for so long, I had no idea an Apple store even existed there. I always worry my car will be broken into or my motorbike will get stolen.

I suppose Apple thinks it's a good place to have a retail presence. I for one would not think so. I suppose if they close that store, it will be in the news everywhere and will be a slap in the face for Emeryville's image.

It does have one advantage... its a stone's throw from Pixar.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

I have a feeling the Emeryville store will continue. Emeryville is, after all, the location for Pixar, and has its other roots in music and arts, with the excellent Ex'pression College of Digital Arts (one of the best Audio Engineering/Arts curriculum in the country). It used to be a rundown area, with a city history of graft and corruption going back decades, but was revitalized with housing and urban marketplaces similar to the one you are describing. The area is still in the midst of "gentrification" (hate that word, but it describes it fairly accurately), so there are still elements of unease surrounding the area, which sits between Berkeley and Oakland (for those who may not know).

But the weird thing is that Bay Street is de-gentrifying. It was built as the standard Pottery Barn/Williams Sonoma/Banana Republic/Coach/ et al shopping destination, but over time the average demographic that shows up (as far as I can see) has gotten much more like urban Oakland (younger, poorer, more ethnically varied) then what you'd figure for the retail mix.

Which is why I'm a little curious why the Williams Sonoma or Pottery Barn, say, haven't been replaced by something more amenable to the shoppers in attendance.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Interesting choice of location. I always thought that Apple should have put in a store in the old Ross location downtown. Tons of square footage and close to UC Berkeley.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by russgiro88 View Post

Interesting choice of location. I always thought that Apple should have put in a store in the old Ross location downtown. Tons of square footage and close to UC Berkeley.

There's an old school independent Mac reseller practically next door (M.A.C. Computer); I wonder if that would cause Apple to consider another site?

Just joking, they'd of course steam roller that dude if it looked like a good move. I agree, that would be a great location.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Interesting location with a nice price tag on it. After all, location is key and Apple has the $$$ to make it work.