Where to write regarding problem with Apple store/defective iMacs?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi everyone. A friend of mine asked me to try to find out the most appropriate place where she should write to in order to inform Apple about having a hard time with one of its retail stores and one of its products.

More specifically, she continues to receive iMac after iMac that is having screen issues. There was a second problem with one of them that I don't recall at the moment. I must say that while I am in love with my own iMac, it also took me four attempts(!) to finally get one that was perfect. [pounding on wood]

Do any of you have any suggestions as to where she might lodge a complaint? Is there a "higher", a more "escalated" level of customer support that she can get in touch with?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

Hi everyone. A friend of mine asked me to try to find out the most appropriate place where she should write to in order to inform Apple about having a hard time with one of its retail stores and one of its products.

More specifically, she continues to receive iMac after iMac that is having screen issues. There was a second problem with one of them that I don't recall at the moment. I must say that while I am in love with my own iMac, it also took me four attempts(!) to finally get one that was perfect. [pounding on wood]

Do any of you have any suggestions as to where she might lodge a complaint? Is there a "higher", a more "escalated" level of customer support that she can get in touch with?

Your friend could write an article about her problems for an appropriate Mac users magazine and send it to Apple's Sr. Vice President of Public Relations "for comments before it is published". There's a good chance her phone will ring within 24 hours.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

What a surprise, those shiny things suppose to work?

And how many times was it "iMac after iMac"? And wasn't it already known that there are problems with the screen (and many other problems)?

PHP Code:

<!-- php buffer start --><code><span style="color: #000000">
    <span style="color: #0000BB">http</span><span style="color: #007700">:</span><span style="color: #FF8000">//arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/01/apple-internally-acknowledges-more-27-imac-screen-issues.ars&nbsp;
    <br /></span><span style="color: #0000BB"></span>
    </span>

• Reply 3 of 8
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    @Rokcet: Thanks for the info. I don't know if she ought to have a threatening, standoff-ish attitude right from the start but maybe you're right. I have had no problems with Apple myself save for the few times that I've had to return my own iMac.

@Doorman: Your quoted article is old and outdated and does not apply here. Jealousy will get you nowhere, son.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

I don't know if she ought to have a threatening, standoff-ish attitude right from the start but maybe you're right. I have had no problems with Apple myself save for the few times that I've had to return my own iMac.

Imo, the tone of the article shouldn't be "threatening" or "standoff-ish". Because that would probably be counterproductive. But the tone ought to be clinical and objective. An account of her actual experiences, letting the facts speak for themselves, and letting the reader shape his own inevitable verdict.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Has she tried AppleCare phone support? You open a case and then you can escalate from there. It's an alternative to retail channels. Can be useful, takes a bit of patience but if you are firm you can get things escalated, IMO.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    Ok, I'm not really asking as to how her approach should be or what writing style to use. I'm sorry if I haven't made that clear. I'll do it for her anyway, so all I really need is the right email address (a "higher-up" person) or the right phone number.

@nvidia2008: Ok, great. Thank you. That sounds good. So is phone support what most people do to get started (or maybe even get a resolution although I doubt that, given her circumstances)?

For example, with AT&T, I know exactly where to call and who to write to in order to get a complaint expedited and resolved within less than 48 hours.

Thanks to everyone.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Ok, I'm not really asking as to how her approach should be or what writing style to use. I'm sorry if I haven't made that clear. I'll do it for her anyway, so all I really need is the right email address (a "higher-up" person) or the right phone number.

That sort of data is not out there, Crunch. In fact nobody in Cupertino can be contacted by Joe Blow or Jane Doe. I.e. by you or me. On purpose! They – Apple's higher management – want us simple folk to go through 'channels': Apple stores, Apple dealers, and Apple Care, and they actively avoid having to personally deal with us, their customers.

They have conveniently and arrogantly 'forgotten' who made them big!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

That sort of data is not out there, Crunch. In fact nobody in Cupertino can be contacted by Joe Blow or Jane Doe. I.e. by you or me. On purpose! They ? Apple's higher management ? want us simple folk to go through 'channels': Apple stores, Apple dealers, and Apple Care, and they actively avoid having to personally deal with us, their customers.

They have conveniently and arrogantly 'forgotten' who made them big!

E-mailing Steve will generally get your message redirected to the guy in charge of product control, though, so I don't see how your argument works.