Apple improves iOS push security, iTunes promo codes now work overseas

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday made a few key changes for iOS developers, upgrading the security of push notifications and allowing international distribution of promotional codes. Also, some HD movies have appeared for the first time in the U.K. iTunes Store.

As noted by Erica Sadun at TUAW, Apple has updated the push notification system for iOS devices with enhanced security. Push notifications now have more secure 2048-bit TSL/SSL certificates.

The upgrade requires an updated server certificate, and Apple has recommended that developers test and validate communication channels to avoid any outages. Full details are available on the iTunes Connect developer site.

In addition, Apple announced that iTunes promotional codes can now be used overseas. Previously, those codes could only be accessed through the iTunes Store in the U.S.

"This [change] particularly affects applications where English is not the primary language for use or U.S. customers are not the central audience," Sadun noted. "Now, developers can send review codes to local newspapers, magazines, and blogs without having to request that those outlets create U.S. iTunes accounts.

Finally, some high-definition movies have begun to appear for the first time on Apple's U.K. iTunes Store. As noted by MacRumors, the library of titles is limited at the moment, with the most prominent title being "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse."

High-definition, full-price movies cost £12.99, while some less expensive HD films run £7.99. Movies first arrived on the U.K. and Canadian iTunes Stores in 2008.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    It is so wonderful to finally see some HD films in the UK store. About time!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

Agreed, i've been waiting for HD Movies on the iTunes UK store for quite some time. I refuse to buy anything in SD unless that's the only format it will be available in.

Hopefully this is the start of things to come. Price seems not too bad, i don't own a Blu-ray player.....nor do i intend to buy one so this is what i've been waiting for.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Raizak View Post

Agreed, i've been waiting for HD Movies on the iTunes UK store for quite some time. I refuse to buy anything in SD unless that's the only format it will be available in.

Hopefully this is the start of things to come. Price seems not too bad, i don't own a Blu-ray player.....nor do i intend to buy one so this is what i've been waiting for.

My only issue with digital distribution is that I feel it should be cheaper than the physical media. Frequently a Blu ray from Amazon will be cheaper than buying an HD movie through iTunes, this shouldn't be the case.

I doubt it'll change but considering they don't have to produce the disc, ship the item and then pay for shelf space it's a bloody piss taker!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    OMG Apple is doubling the data usage for PSN. They should pay the carriers all the monies¡
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Previously, those codes could only be accessed through the iTunes Store in the U.S.

... and Canada.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

My only issue with digital distribution is that I feel it should be cheaper than the physical media. Frequently a Blu ray from Amazon will be cheaper than buying an HD movie through iTunes, this shouldn't be the case.

I doubt it'll change but considering they don't have to produce the disc, ship the item and then pay for shelf space it's a bloody piss taker!

I agree with you, but sadly cost doesn't seem to have much to do with Apple's pricing.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

I've been renting HD films in the UK for a while now on my Apple TV. What is new? Are they for sale now as well as rent or something?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

I've been renting HD films in the UK for a while now on my Apple TV. What is new? Are they for sale now as well as rent or something?

Yes, it's new. Previously you could only rent HD and even then it had to be on an iPad or Apple TV. Not many people (including myself) are willing to pay the price of an Apple TV or iPad for HD films that we could only keep 48 hours after starting to watch.

So the ability to buy (and keep) is really nice. (Especially for me, cos my computer is already equipped for HD film and TV display)
  • Reply 9 of 9
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 165member
    2048-bit TSL/SSL ?? You're gonna need a couple Cell processors to brute that!