My impressions of the Bay Area

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just returned from a week in the Bay Area, mostly Palo Alto and San Francisco. I had a great time and here are a few observations.

1. Cold air. Who knew that Northern California was so darn cold. I needed a sweater at night. And don't even mention the ferry ride to Alcatraz.

2. Cold water. The Pacific is freezing. Eck!

3. Beautiful terrain, especially the rocky beaches and Muir Woods.

4. San Fran looks like a Greek city to me, with pastel colors and homes stacked on hillsides overlooking the water.

5. Chinatown is way confusing. Ate Dim Sum but had no idea what I was eating (New Asia) and the servers didn't speak English. Lots of crappy import shops. But doesn't reek of fish like NYC's Chinatown.

6. Little Italy. Who knew there were Italians in San Fran. Best Italian of my life. Ate at the Mona Lisa.

7. Stanford was neat, except the 40-person line at the bookstore checkout.

8. Huge ethnic diversity, which I love, because it means exotic food, exotic women, and better cultural understanding (on my part).

9. Sonoma was fantastic. Did wine tasting at the Pezzi King Winery along with lunch. I loved it.

Northen Cali is a wonderful place, except maybe the housing prices. My Aunt's shack is worth a cool million and it's half the size of my place in Washington D.C.

[ 07-05-2002: Message edited by: gobble gobble ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    If you go back to SF, check out the Mission District... it used to be cool.. before the dot.com invasion that is... I hear its getting back to what it used to be. Adobe Bookshop.. used to be great

Go to berkely and check out Moe's books . .. its the best!

"(paraphrase) the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"

Twain

I used to live there... and I got to know pretty quick that even if its warm when you go out in the morning... bring a sweater cause the fog moves in fast...
  • Reply 2 of 2
    [quote]Originally posted by pfflam:

<strong>If you go back to SF, check out the Mission District... it used to be cool.. before the dot.com invasion that is... I hear its getting back to what it used to be. Adobe Bookshop.. used to be great

Go to berkely and check out Moe's books . .. its the best!

"(paraphrase) the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"

Twain

I used to live there... and I got to know pretty quick that even if its warm when you go out in the morning... bring a sweater cause the fog moves in fast...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd heard of the Mission District but I wasn't quite sure why. What's neat about it?

I also went to Sam's in Tiburon and Margaritaville in Sausalito. And I toured a WWII sub tied up at Fisherman's Wharf.

I'm not sure that I'd be allowed into Berkley with my hair as short as it is.

I flew out of Oakland and noticed that it has a population of 400,000. Other than a tour of Jerry Brown's office, and possibly a sporting event, what is there to see in Oakland?