Alleged next-gen Apple iPad cases suggest rear camera, SD card slot

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Two new cases claimed to be designed for Apple's forthcoming second-generation iPad show the device with a rear-facing camera, as well as a space that could be used to input an SD card [updated with even more cases].

The cases, spotted by iLounge, both show a rear-facing camera on the left side of the device, as well as a larger cutout on the bottom where the speaker exists on the first-generation iPad. One case, from Shenzhen MacTop Electronics, suggests the device will be slimmer than the current iPad.

The second case, from Kodawarisan, shows many of the same features and dimensions, but the documentation accompanying it also mentions an SD card slot, in addition to FaceTime. That has led to speculation that the large space where the speaker exists could also house a place to put an SD card.

The current iPad has only a 30-pin iPod connector as a port, but Apple does sell a "Camera Connection Kit." The adapters in that kit include a USB port, to allow a camera to connect directly to the device, as well as an SD card slot, allowing users to import photos and videos from a camera card.

The cases also show the same placement for the mute switch and the headphone jack. They also do not show a space for a second 30-pin dock connector on the side for landscape orientation docking, a feature that has been rumored.

As reported by AppleInsider in September, Apple plans to move aggressively on its FaceTime video chat standard. Part of those plans include a camera-equipped iPad, which would allow users to video chat with other others on a range of devices, including Macs, the iPhone 4, and fourth-generation iPod touch.

One report this week claimed that Apple's overseas manufacturing partner, Foxconn, plans to ship the next-generation iPad within 100 days. That would allow Apple to stock up on the device in order to have enough supplies for an April launch.

Update: Even more cases alleged to fit the iPad 2 are on alibaba.com. Like the two spotted previously, they also show a larger hole where the speaker is on the current-generation device. They are included below:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Speaking purely as a share holder in this instance, I sure hope all this industrial espionage doesn't hurt iPad sales over the holidays! The other thought is maybe these backs are not for an iPad at all but I guess the dock size makes that unlikely ... so fake maybe? The changes do seem rather predictable though although I still struggle to imagine holding one up to take pictures. I can see the complaints already ..."Man falls off cliff due to wind while holding iPad up to take picture."
  • Reply 2 of 47
    I hope it has at least the same battery life even if it is thinner. I'd rather have a longer life on this machine (especially with Facetime and other new battery consuming features) than thinner. Keep it the same size with more juice!
  • Reply 3 of 47
    The two things that will sell me on an ipad, a webcam & sd card reader built in. make it more travel friendly please!
  • Reply 4 of 47
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I hope it has at least the same battery life even if it is thinner. I'd rather have a longer life on this machine (especially with Facetime and other new battery consuming features) than thinner. Keep it the same size with more juice!

But if thinner means lighter (and assuming the same battery life), that would address the 2nd most frequently heard complaint about the iPad. Size being the most frequent.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Speaking purely as a share holder in this instance, I sure hope all this industrial espionage doesn't hurt iPad sales over the holidays! The other thought is maybe these backs are not for an iPad at all but I guess the dock size makes that unlikely ... so fake maybe? The changes do seem rather predictable though although I still struggle to imagine holding one up to take pictures. I can see the complaints already ..."Man falls off cliff due to wind while holding iPad up to take picture."

I highly doubt anyone will use the camera for photography.. Camera will be used mostly by augmented reality apps and FaceTime camera switch-a-ro..
  • Reply 6 of 47
    How does a rear facing camera help with FaceTime?
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... a larger cutout on the bottom where the speaker exists on the first-generation iPa. ... (which) could also house a place to put an SD card.....

It could also just be that it's a carbon fibre back this time with a more curved profile so the speaker holes have to be more on the back than on the edge this time.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Front camera = FaceTime

Rear camera = ShowAndTell
  • Reply 9 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The same way it does now with the iPhone 4.

My question is what case will apple design so you can use the camera while in case. In the current case design they would need to put two holes in the case for when it is folded open.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    SD slot, eh? Personally, I hope it's true. Only months ago, naysayers here were insisting that Apple should not commit itself to any single storage card standard and that the Camera Connection Kit was good enough for people who needed SD card access. As the owner of such a kit, I'd have to say that it's a real pain in the neck.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    Off topic: I think it would be wise of apple to deploy facetime over 3g on the iPad 2. This would push more people to get the more expensive/better margined 3g capable model while "testing" the service/network with a smaller workload than the iPhone would cause. My guess is this will not happen but I think it would be a very nice unexpected surprise and a smart tactile move by apple.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

Off topic: I think it would be wise of apple to deploy facetime over 3g on the iPad 2. This would push more people to get the more expensive/better margined 3g capable model while "testing" the service/network with a smaller workload than the iPhone would cause. My guess is this will not happen but I think it would be a very nice unexpected surprise and a smart tactile move by apple.

Apple has nothing to do with deploying facetime on 3G (they know the 3G limitations well enough). The carriers have dictated this, by starting to get folks familiar with data charges, and then deploying it. ATT has enough headaches with slooooow or non existant 3G service to consider allowing facetime over 3G (who knows, they may not allow it until 4G LTE is deployed, which is my guess), and only allow WiFi for now.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

The same way it does now with the iPhone 4.

My question is what case will apple design so you can use the camera while in case. In the current case design they would need to put two holes in the case for when it is folded open.

Huh.. Good question.. I'd be weird and uncomfortable to be holding the flap when using the rear camera.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Huh.. Good question.. I'd be weird and uncomfortable to be holding the flap when using the rear camera.

Who's to say Apple would even make a first-party case? I don't remember seeing any when the original iPhone came out, or even the 3G and 3GS. I also don't see any for the current iPods (although I could be wrong there), or any for their computers. The current Apple iPad case was made because there was literally no market for iPad accessories, so Apple had to lead the charge. Now that there are hundreds of accessory makers, Apple doesn't have to come out with anything case-wise, at least in my opinion.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Who's to say Apple would even make a first-party case? I don't remember seeing any when the original iPhone came out, or even the 3G and 3GS. I also don't see any for the current iPods (although I could be wrong there), or any for their computers. The current Apple iPad case was made because there was literally no market for iPad accessories, so Apple had to lead the charge. Now that there are hundreds of accessory makers, Apple doesn't have to come out with anything case-wise, at least in my opinion.

Of course they don't have to but seeing as they are so popular and another sourse of revenue my guess is they will want to if they have a design that will trump most others for a period of time. They are the only ones that really know the exact design ahead of time so they can use this to come out with a great accessory. If the iPad 2 does have a rear facing camera it present a problem for designers to come up with a great solution like the ipad case apple made. My question was more hypothetical and was asking if in fact apple plans to design a case how do you think they will approach this design hurtle.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Yet another compelling reason not to buy an iPad now, no matter how tempting any discount is offered. There's goiing to be a lot of gen1 iPads dumped on eBay this spring because unlike the iPhone there is no contract.

Thank you Appleinsider!
  • Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Apple has nothing to do with deploying facetime on 3G (they know the 3G limitations well enough). The carriers have dictated this, by starting to get folks familiar with data charges, and then deploying it. ATT has enough headaches with slooooow or non existant 3G service to consider allowing facetime over 3G (who knows, they may not allow it until 4G LTE is deployed, which is my guess), and only allow WiFi for now.

First of all, if you don't think apple has some say as to when facetime is deployed over 3g your just wrong. Especially with the iPad apple has big say with ATT assuming they did not enter a contract with them on it. And I recall SJ saying he was going to work with the carriers to get facetime over 3g in the future. Also many rumors persist that iPad will be a universal model and will open it up to other carriers. If this is the case, the carrier that allows facetime over 3g will surely win.

Although it is highly unlikely having a day where they announce both the iPhone and iPad on multiple carriers in the US (verizon) would be absolutely epic. There would be a rush at apple store like has never been seen before.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Quote:

Speaking purely as a share holder in this instance, I sure hope all this industrial espionage doesn't hurt iPad sales over the holidays!."

Nah I doubt it. The vast majority of consumers don't read Apple rumour forums. If it isn't on ITV or the BBC, UK residents are non the wiser.

Probably applies to US as well.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Quote:

Speaking purely as a share holder in this instance, I sure hope all this industrial espionage doesn't hurt iPad sales over the holidays!...

90% of Apple Store purchasers buy whatever they have in the back.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    When did the iPad officially came out? Mid 2010 no?