iMac i3 good enough to handle Visual Studio?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm planning on upgrading my 2007 MBP 2.2ghz 4gb ram for one of the new iMacs, probably the base model. I'm a software developer (.net) and I was just wondering if anyone out there uses an iMac (i3) to run Visual Studio & SQL via Bootcamp.

I have no need for mobility anymore hence the iMac and not another MB. I only really want to get the base model as I only edit the occasional photo, email etc, so I guess as long as the i3 21" is powerful enough for web development I'll grab one this weekend.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmy_fingers View Post

Hi,

I'm planning on upgrading my 2007 MBP 2.2ghz 4gb ram for one of the new iMacs, probably the base model. I'm a software developer (.net) and I was just wondering if anyone out there uses an iMac (i3) to run Visual Studio & SQL via Bootcamp.

I have no need for mobility anymore hence the iMac and not another MB. I only really want to get the base model as I only edit the occasional photo, email etc, so I guess as long as the i3 21" is powerful enough for web development I'll grab one this weekend.

Thanks

Yes, but unless your MBP is broken now is a bad time to buy a new machine. Without turboboost or HT the current i3 iMac isn't likely THAT much faster for development. The new sandy bridges will be announced in Jan, likely shipping in products by Feb and an iMac refresh wont be that far behind.

I'd just get a nice keyboard/mouse and 24"+ monitor if you don't already have one and wait. 21" is a tad tight even at 1920x1080. I'd get at least a 23" @ 2048x1152...but that's me...
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Many thanks. Yes I think I will sit tight, and have a look into Sandy Bridges.