HP updates six printers to work with Apple's AirPrint

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
HP this week updated the firmware of six of its printers, enabling compatibility with Apple's AirPrint, which allows printing directly from iOS devices like the iPhone and iPad.

HP added the functionality to six of its Officejet line of printers with firmware updates released on Thursday. AirPrint is built in to the recently released iOS 4.2 software update for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

Printers that just received AirPrint functionality are:

Officejet 6500A e-AiO

Officejet 6500A Plus e-AiO

Officejet 7500A Wide Format e-AiO

Officejet Pro 8500A e-AiO

Officejet Pro 8500A Plus e-AiO

Officejet Pro 8500A Premium e-AiO

The addition of six new printers makes a total of 18 printers from HP that are now compatible with AirPrint. Five existing printers offer AirPrint functionality out of the box, while another seven had previously released firmware updates that added the ability to print from iOS 4.2.

AirPrint was originally intended to work from any printer shared through a Mac or PC. In early builds of iOS 4.2, iTunes 10.1 and Mac OS X 10.6.5 issued to developers, printers could be shared over a local network to iOS 4.2 devices.

That functionality was eventually removed, and now only HP printers with support for direct wireless printing without sharing through a Mac or PC work with AirPrint. However, a number of fixes and workarounds have been released that allow users to share a printer once again.

There were rumors that a legal dispute led Apple to remove the printer sharing feature from Mac OS X 10.6.5, iTunes 10.1 and iOS 4.2 at the last minute. Apple's own website now only promises that AirPrint allows users to "print mail, photos, web pages, and more directly to a printer on a wireless network."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Anyone here still print stuff?

Steve, you know how the optical drive is totally out of date and yesterday's technology? Well guess what's even more out of date?
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Steve, you know how the optical drive is totally out of date and yesterday's technology? Well guess what's even more out of date?

I can only assume you are just Trolling, unless you work for a magical company, printing is going to continue happening for a long time. The company whom I support is only about 10% the way into our "paper reduction" process. They still have to print something out, to then scan it into our document management system...I didn't choose this horrible horrible document management system... I'd say they are to 6-7 years away to eliminating paper usage(unless a company we do business with still required paper invoices).

I foresee printing from iPad to be useful once it is a little easier to integrate into a corporate/retail business.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Let's see:

1). Print photo's taken on phone.

2). Print docs from emails received on phone.

3). Print emails.

4). Print boarding passes.

5). Print travel info.

etc, etc.

Answer ... YES!
  • Reply 4 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

Let's see:

3). Print emails.

5). Print travel info.

etc, etc.

Answer ... YES!

Wow, you really are retro! Other than the boarding pass all else I keep on a MacBookPro or an iPad and iPhone. It sounds like you don't trust your backup protocols.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

Let's see:

3). Print emails.

5). Print travel info.

etc, etc.

Answer ... YES!

I try to print at least one thing a year just to make sure the printer is still working correctly. My wife and daughter however keep the toner companies in business.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

HP this week updated the firmware of six of its printers, enabling compatibility with Apple's AirPrint,...

It would be nice if they let us use printers that people actually buy and use. No one is going to buy a useless colour inkjet printer or a multi-function device just to use AirPrint.

These are all cheap consumer printers with a life expectancy shorter than that of the cartridges they use. The majority of HP's business is serious laser printers for office use, but still none of those work with AirPrint.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wow, you really are retro! Other than the boarding pass all else I keep on a MacBookPro or an iPad and iPhone. It sounds like you don't trust your backup protocols.

Same here. I can't remember the last time I printed and email.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

HP this week updated the firmware of six of its printers, enabling compatibility with Apple's AirPrint, which allows printing directly from iOS devices like the iPhone and iPad.

There were rumors that a legal dispute led Apple to remove the printer sharing feature from Mac OS X 10.6.5, iTunes 10.1 and iOS 4.2 at the last minute. Apple's own website now only promises that AirPrint allows users to "print mail, photos, web pages, and more directly to a printer on a wireless network."

There are several solutions available to be activate Airprint on the Mac. Why waste money on HP printers? HP ink is really really expensive and I find using a different printer cheaper.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmxdmb134 View Post

I can only assume you are just Trolling, unless you work for a magical company, printing is going to continue happening for a long time. The company whom I support is only about 10% the way into our "paper reduction" process. They still have to print something out, to then scan it into our document management system...I didn't choose this horrible horrible document management system... I'd say they are to 6-7 years away to eliminating paper usage(unless a company we do business with still required paper invoices).

I foresee printing from iPad to be useful once it is a little easier to integrate into a corporate/retail business.

I don't think he was trolling at all, it was a little tongue in cheek perhaps . Printing out something to scan in? Are you serious? Your company is seriously stuck in the past. If a form is digital it should be filled in digitally and stored and or sent digitally. You should show them how to do it and suggest they fire their IT department.

PS Even Preview can be used to annotate a PDF that Adobe has locked shhhhh.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmxdmb134 View Post

... The company whom I support is only about 10% the way into our "paper reduction" process. They still have to print something out, to then scan it into our document management system. ...

Having a "document management system" is a sure fire way to *never* eliminate paper and printing in my experience. I've seen it done in several different organisations and the result is usually more paper in circulation than before.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    What about their LaserJet printers? That would be nice to see. Especially a LaserJet 4345mfp.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Same here. I can't remember the last time I printed and email.

Me neither. oh wait .. the last time I printed an e-mail it was on a dot matrix printer and that was only to prove I'd received one as they were so novel at that time
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:

Me neither. oh wait .. the last time I printed an e-mail it was on a dot matrix printer and that was only to prove I'd received one as they were so novel at that time

Well most HP printers haven't improved much from the old dot matrix so you aren't missing much. My guess is thats why Apple pretty much gives one away when you buy a Mac.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I try to print at least one thing a year just to make sure the printer is still working correctly. My wife and daughter however keep the toner companies in business.

My wife, a Realtor, does the same
  • Reply 15 of 32
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicroma View Post

What about their LaserJet printers? That would be nice to see. Especially a LaserJet 4345mfp.

I don't understand why they're only doing that for their inkjets so far. I only use an inkjet for very specific circumstances, and I avoid the all-in-one type device because they don't seem to do anything very well. I print a lot for my business, I think of it as a courtesy to provide a receipt and instructions with my product. But regular consumers shouldn't need to print very often. I recall that printing from iOS was on a lot of wish lists, I don't think it's in my top five.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

I've successfully tried out the BA app that let's you have an electronic boarding pass and simply have a barcode on the iPhone scanned at various stages when proceeding through the Airport. it worked well! So with this you could be completely paperless!
  • Reply 17 of 32
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It would be nice if they let us use printers that people actually buy and use. No one is going to buy a useless colour inkjet printer or a multi-function device just to use AirPrint.

Is this directed at Apple or HP?
  • Reply 18 of 32
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Too late. I'm no longer buying HP printers.

I had an L7780 - which was an expensive AIO printer - and it started acting wonky. HP said to replace the printhead (even though I had just replaced it a few weeks earlier). Then, a few weeks later, the new one failed, too, so I put in a third. A couple of weeks after that, the printer won't work at all. And I don't print all that many pages - probably just a few hundred a month.

HP's response? Buy a new one. Oh, and our vaunted tradein program only uses recent printer models, so we won't give you anything for your printer.

I used to get 6-7 years out of my Epson printers and longer than that from my Brother printer. About 2 years is nowhere near what would be expected-and HP's lousy support made it worse.

Maybe Epson or Canon will support Airprint. It doesn't really matter - since I haven't yet had a time when I wanted to print something from my iPad, but it would be nice to have.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sunbow View Post

I've successfully tried out the BA app that let's you have an electronic boarding pass and simply have a barcode on the iPhone scanned at various stages when proceeding through the Airport. it worked well! So with this you could be completely paperless!

I was quite impressed what American Airlines offered me that option - where your boarding card was a QIR Code. I was surprised that it took them that long. But, the problem was that by the time I got to the gate, for some reason I lost access to it and had to fall back to my paper version.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    where do i find the firmware