Software update in OSX Leopard

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi everyone, does anyone know if I can delete a file download in OSX update? I think I set it to download updates automatically, but when I reviewed what it wanted to install, it had the latest version of iTunes. I don't use iTunes so I don't want to install it, so I unchecked it, but now it bothers me to install it all the time and I can't find a way of deleting it or telling it I don't want to.

Any ideas please? Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSteve View Post

it bothers me to install it all the time and I can't find a way of deleting it or telling it I don't want to.

Software Update checks what software you have installed and if there are updates for it. If it finds them it presents those updates for you to decide whether you want that particular update or not.

If Software Update presents iTunes updates all the time then your system apparently thinks you have iTunes installed. When iTunes is installed it installs a myriad of small files scattered all over your HD. So when you drag the iTunes application from the Applications folder to the Trash you only trash that particular file. All the other iTunes files remain in place. So when Software Update checks what updates you need, it 'sees' those remaining iTunes files, concludes that iTunes is installed, and recommends to update it.

So it looks like there are iTunes files on your system. Have you tried uninstalling iTunes with e.g AppCleaner to remove ALL the iTunes files?

You may need to install a complete iTunes set in order to enable AppCleaner to subsequently remove it all.

Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Or...

Next time you run Software Update, highlight the iTunes file when it shows up, then on the menubar select Update -> Ignore Update.

Now it will ignore that update during future checks... you'll need to repeat the procedure when a newer version of iTunes is made available.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Many thanks to you both, I have installed AppCleaner - really cool litle app! And thanks for the advice on how to get it to ignore updates in the future, both really helpful - many thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    If you don't use iTunes, then what's the problem with just letting it update?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

If you don't use iTunes, then what's the problem with just letting it update?

He doesn't want to waste his precious hard drive space on it.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He doesn't want to waste his precious hard drive space on it.

Maybe he can take the air conditioner out of his car during the cooler months to lighten its weight and save on fuel costs too.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Maybe he can take the air conditioner out of his car during the cooler months to lighten its weight and save on fuel costs too.

It's the sensible thing to do. Just like rotating summer and winter tyres, etc. etc.

Those who don't, waste.

And unnecessary waste has got us in the environmental/climatological jam that we are in, and that will heavily tax the future. And our progeny.

I'm sure they'll thank you, tonton.