DirectTV survey suggests NFL Sunday Ticket could come to Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A new survey from satellite provider DirecTV suggests that the streaming content options on the Apple TV set top box could expand in the near future, with its "NFL Sunday Ticket" listed as a compatible device.

The survey, obtained by Engadget, offers a "reminder" for participants that Digital NFL Sunday Ticket can be viewed on a number of devices. Among those listed were the Apple TV and iPad.

The digital NFL service is listed at $49.99 per month for a subscription to the entire football season. Customers can also subscribe to a specific weekend for $19.99.

The survey also says that Digital NFL Sunday Ticket can be streamed to a Boxee or Roku player, Internet-connected Blu-ray player, and "game machines."

NFL Sunday Ticket is a service offered exclusively by DirecTV in the U.S. It allows NFL fans to watch out-of-market regular season football games that are otherwise unavailable on cable or local affiliates.

The new Apple TV, released in September, currently offers Netflix streaming, YouTube videos, and photos from Flickr. Content can also be rented from iTunes, and can be streamed from a Mac, PC or MobileMe account.

DirecTV's survey incorrectly states that NFL Sunday Ticket is currently available on the Apple TV, but it could suggest that the feature is coming to Apple's set top box in the near future. The new functionality would require a software update to the Apple TV.

Because the new Apple TV runs the same custom A4 processor as the iPhone 4 and iPad, some have speculated that Apple could add an App Store to the streaming device, allowing developers to create custom applications like on the iPhone and iPad. App Store connectivity was even rumored to be a part of the device before it was unveiled in September.

The Apple TV also runs a custom version of the lightweight iOS operating system that also powers the iPhone and iPad. This week, Apple released a software update for the Apple TV to address issues with screen resolution and downloads.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    If we could get the NFL on AppleTV we would probably ditch cable altogether. Man, would I love to make that call to Comcast...
  • Reply 2 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Add Formula One, and World Class matches in Tennis and Soccer too please please please ....
  • Reply 3 of 37
    The big question to me is whether or not this will be available as a standalone service, or if you will need to be a DirecTV customer... As of right now, I don't think you can use "NFL Sunday Ticket To Go" without already having DirecTV & a regular NFL Sunday Ticket subscription. If it's not standalone, I don't understand what the point is (one would already be able to watch on their TV). If it were to be a standalone service, that would be a HUGE boon to Apple TV sales. I already have one... but if I didn't, I'd be very tempted to get it even if it were only for NFL Sunday Ticket.

Can anyone confirm/deny if there is any way to get NFL Sunday Ticket without being a DirectTV customer?
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deuxlavabo View Post

Can anyone confirm/deny if there is any way to get NFL Sunday Ticket without being a DirectTV customer?

I second that question--I don't see how Direct TV would allow to be standalone. A significant percentage of their subscribers must be there just for football...

That being said, I would sign up in a heartbeat! I would pay twice that...
  • Reply 5 of 37
    I wrote about Apple TV and the NFL back in 2009 because I was pretty surprised Apple didn't bid against DirectTV to get some momentum for the device....

What would DirectTV be without the NFL? Not much.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1575...on-an-nfl-deal
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

If we could get the NFL on AppleTV we would probably ditch cable altogether. Man, would I love to make that call to Comcast...

Not if your Internet provider is still Comcast. I guess you'll still call them but only to cancel your TV subscription.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    20 bucks a weekend is still a bit too high. Maybe not for rabid NFL fans. But if services like this keeps popping up then it'll be the beginning of cable TV cutting.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    I'd pay $20 a weekend for the couple of times the Steelers are pre-empted by the damn Ravens in my market area. That's cheaper than going to a bar and what I'd have to pay for food and drinks.

But I sort of doubt this will be available to non-DirecTV subscribers.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    I cut cable when I got Apple TV. I lasted 3 months. I'm back with full cable. NFL package would help, but i find that I miss the cable news channels too much.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Forbes View Post

I'd pay $20 a weekend for the couple of times the Steelers are pre-empted by the damn Ravens in my market area. That's cheaper than going to a bar and what I'd have to pay for food and drinks.

But I sort of doubt this will be available to non-DirecTV subscribers.

I would absolutely pay $20 to watch the Giants/Eagles game this weekend... Huge game, and it's not being shown here in Bills country...

I just don't see an instance in which a DirecTV customer would use their Apple TV instead of their TV to watch... It would have to be standalone... we'll see.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

The big question to me is whether or not this will be available as a standalone service, or if you will need to be a DirecTV customer... As of right now, I don't think you can use "NFL Sunday Ticket To Go" without already having DirecTV & a regular NFL Sunday Ticket subscription. If it's not standalone, I don't understand what the point is (one would already be able to watch on their TV). If it were to be a standalone service, that would be a HUGE boon to Apple TV sales. I already have one... but if I didn't, I'd be very tempted to get it even if it were only for NFL Sunday Ticket.

Well the whole basis of the article is a Directv reminder/survey.

It's bad enough you have to have a POS satellite to get NFL. They think we want to spend $50 a month for one NFL team you want to follow, then add $45 for the internet through a decent cable provider, and all the other crap involved?

GTFO.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Sky on ATV would be most welcome. Oh, and BBC iPlayer please.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I'm with you on that one, brother!
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

The deal DirecTV signed in March was for four years, a billion dollars per year. Sounds like DirecTV can't survive without the NFL, and that should have given Apple leverage at the bargaining table.

I've quoted this from your Seeking Alpha article. This is the most nonsensical thing I have ever read. DirecTV so desparately needs the NFL that they will pay anything... and somehow that means Apple would have had an easy time bidding against them? Are you nuts? Or just stupid?
  • Reply 15 of 37
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

I would absolutely pay $20 to watch the Giants/Eagles game this weekend... Huge game, and it's not being shown here in Bills country...

I just don't see an instance in which a DirecTV customer would use their Apple TV instead of their TV to watch... It would have to be standalone... we'll see.

You would use the AppleTV to watch a Sunday Ticket Digital provided game streamed to your TV. It's a bit whacky, but in theory it works.

This has nothing to do with Apple getting Sunday Ticket, it was a DirecTV survey for heavens sake! One I took by the way and the whole thesis of the survey was

a) How do you watch you NFL football, as in which devices

b) What combinations of services would you be willing to pay what prices for

c) Would you leave DirecTV if they did not have Sunday Ticket.

All of that is so they can decide what their next bid should be and my guess is whether they are willing to host the Sunday Ticket Digital distribution as well. I'm sure the NFL is really going to try to raise the price tag for digital distribution over the internet and DirecTV doesn't want to get screwed by paying too much or getting outbid by someone else's profitable price. Apple and AppleTV has absolutely zero to do with the survey other than being part of the subscribers existing content delivery chain, just like an iPad or iPhone.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    I think there are a lot of options for the NFL. It would be interesting to know how much DirecTV pays the NFL for the exclusivity. I had DirecTV and subscribed to NFL Sunday Ticket for a couple of seasons and then realized I didn't watch it enough to justify the expense - there are a couple of pubs within walking distance of my place if I want to see a specific game.

A separate dissatisfying experience with DirecTV led to a switch to U-verse - no complaints on that so far. But I would definitely buy an Apple TV if it meant I could, from time to time, get NFL for a weekend. The fact is before Roku, Apple TV, etc. there weren't a lot of user friendly methods to get pay-per-view in the home other than cable or satellite. Now it appears to make sense for the NFL to offer their service through other avenues, much like MLB does.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    If Apple could ever put together an Apple TV that would allow me access to the App Store, access to online streaming of tv shows and access to live sports then the cable is gone. I wish more people would push for a pay for what you want model. If the only channels I want are ESPN, ABC and NBC for example, why should I have to pay full price?
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post

I cut cable when I got Apple TV. I lasted 3 months. I'm back with full cable. NFL package would help, but i find that I miss the cable news channels too much.

Really? I've never found anything about cable shows worth the money. Just wait a while and most movies and shows would be available on web streaming or Netflix.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Quote:

I've quoted this from your Seeking Alpha article. This is the most nonsensical thing I have ever read. DirecTV so desparately needs the NFL that they will pay anything... and somehow that means Apple would have had an easy time bidding against them? Are you nuts? Or just stupid?

I believe what I meant was that DirecTV wouldn't have an exclusive, nor would Apple. Second paragraph, first sentence: "There's room for additional distribution of NFL games."

You spelled "desperately" wrong.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I believe what I meant was that DirecTV wouldn't have an exclusive, nor would Apple. Second paragraph, first sentence: "There's room for additional distribution of NFL games."

You spelled "desperately" wrong.

You still don't understand. Player A has an exclusive agreement with the NFL. Player B would like to get a piece of the pie. The more desperate Player A is to keep their exclusive agreement (very, as you illustrated), the more they will be willing to pay for it, and the more Player B will have to pay to break the exclusivity.

I'm not arguing a fine point about exclusive/non-exclusive contracts here. I'm telling you you have it 100% backwards, and your article is thus nonsensical.

One last effort to make it simple for you to understand: The more DirecTV needs the NFL the more expensive the NFL becomes for other bidders, Apple included.

Goodness.