Apple releases iTunes 10.1.1 to address crashing, bugs

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday released a minor update for its iTunes software, as version 10.1.1 addresses various bugs and issues that could cause it to crash.

iTunes 10.1.1 is now available as a direct download or via Software Update. Changes in the software, according to Apple, are:

Addresses an issue where some music videos may not play on Macs equipped with NVIDIA GeForce 9400 or 9600 graphics.

Resolves an issue where iTunes may unexpectedly quit when deleting a playlist that has the iTunes Sidebar showing.

Fixes a problem where iTunes may unexpectedly quit when connecting an iPod to a Mac equipped with a PowerPC processor.

Addresses an issue where some music videos may not sync to an iPod, iPhone, or iPad.

The previous update, iTunes 10.1, was released in November. It added support for iOS 4.2, as well as AirPlay functionality with the Apple TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Does anyone know if they have put the close, minimise and maximise buttons back to where they should be? I hate an inconsistent GUI.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    @saarek - No they did not.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Does anyone know if they have put the close, minimise and maximise buttons back to where they should be? I hate an inconsistent GUI.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...00901223846748
  • Reply 4 of 28
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

The Mac App Store submission guidelines requires that apps conform to Apple's Human Interface Guidelines.

Should Apple reject iTunes?

" DO as I say, NOT as I DO!"
  • Reply 6 of 28
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

The Mac App Store submission guidelines requires that apps conform to Apple's Human Interface Guidelines.

Should Apple reject iTunes?

Apple also uses private APIs in Mac OS and iOS. I guess all those should be rejected, too, since the guidelines forbid it. \
  • Reply 7 of 28
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Hm, the sheer fact that a decision is not understood (or liked) by everybody, does not make it inconsistent or wrong...

iTunes had these vertical buttons in the "zoomed" (mini player) mode for ages. Now it is consistent between modes.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    please don't pick on other members
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:

Considering CLOSE is where it always was, thats the one people use most. Minimize moved which might be annoying. But considering the "maximize" button doesn't even do what you'd expect in iTunes it makes sense to have a different layout since the buttons don't do the normal thing to begin with. It was always confusing why you couldn't maximize itunes.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Now if Apple would just fix the feature bloat.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Now if Apple would just fix the feature bloat.

SO you'd rather have one app for movies, one for books, one for movies, one for the store, one for apps, one for podcasts, one for syncing - you think that's a more efficient way of doing things? Just turn off those features you don't like in preferences....
  • Reply 12 of 28
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You really need a hobby.

What about my post would make you decide I need hobbies?
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It added support for iOS 4.2, as well as AirPlay functionality with the Apple TV.

They certainly did, although it would be nice if they finished it.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

SO you'd rather have one app for movies, one for books, one for movies, one for the store, one for apps, one for podcasts, one for syncing - you think that's a more efficient way of doing things? Just turn off those features you don't like in preferences....

I mostly agree with you on that, especially since 10.x is by far the fastest version of iTunes ever, especially when accessing media from network storage. iTunes still has its flaws, not being able to easily play back video on a second screen remains one of my most-hated annoyances, but bloat is not really one of them.

Still, I would definitely love a separate app for transferring data between the Mac and iPhone/iPod touch/iPad apps. File transfer as a function of a media player really makes no sense (to me). And I know several people who simply do not use it, because they can't even remember where to find it (on low resolution screens the file transfer section is not even in view by default), and then downrate applications that do not support alternate means of transfer. Apple's design choices are normally a lot better than that.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

not being able to easily play back video on a second screen remains one of my most-hated annoyances

I've never had a problem with this. In iTunes preferences, under "playback", choose "in a separate window" for the "Play Films and TV Programmes:" setting. Then, when playing a video, you can drag it to the second monitor. If you then go full screen, it'll full-screen on the external monitor.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I've never had a problem with this. In iTunes preferences, under "playback", choose "in a separate window" for the "Play Films and TV Programmes:" setting. Then, when playing a video, you can drag it to the second monitor. If you then go full screen, it'll full-screen on the external monitor.

What you say is true, and it is certainly no problem when viewing a feature length movie or a TV show. Just, I happen to own some records with complete concert videos as "extras", ingeniously broken down into individual clips (e.g. Robyn Hitchcock's "I often dream of trains in New York" comes with 21 individual video clips)... would you really say: manually dragging and maximizing 21 clips in 60 minutes is the best possible solution?
  • Reply 17 of 28
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    please don't pick on other members
  • Reply 18 of 28
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

I mostly agree with you on that, especially since 10.x is by far the fastest version of iTunes ever, especially when accessing media from network storage. iTunes still has its flaws, not being able to easily play back video on a second screen remains one of my most-hated annoyances, but bloat is not really one of them.

Still, I would definitely love a separate app for transferring data between the Mac and iPhone/iPod touch/iPad apps. File transfer as a function of a media player really makes no sense (to me). And I know several people who simply do not use it, because they can't even remember where to find it (on low resolution screens the file transfer section is not even in view by default), and then downrate applications that do not support alternate means of transfer. Apple's design choices are normally a lot better than that.

Except if you handle your iPhone content manually. Then it makes sense to be able to see the content while syncing. Having said that - I find iTunes a bit of an unwieldy beast and i find the iPhone / touch / pad management a little clumsy. I don't know how many times I have found deactivated Email accounts re-activated and alll sorts of other syncing mishaps (I manage several devices). I also find a lack of clarity when it comes to syncing over mm v iTunes. Then there is iPhoto which invariably messes with my photos on the iPhone? so yeah, a leaner better designed syncing app has my vote.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:

What you say is true, and it is certainly no problem when viewing a feature length movie or a TV show. Just, I happen to own some records with complete concert videos as "extras", ingeniously broken down into individual clips (e.g. Robyn Hitchcock's "I often dream of trains in New York" comes with 21 individual video clips)... would you really say: manually dragging and maximizing 21 clips in 60 minutes is the best possible solution?

Good point. Sounds like a job for AppleScript.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    please stay on-topic - Mr. H