As corporate interest in tablet spikes, Apple's iPad remains tops

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new survey has found a "corporate explosion" of interest in tablets, with the potential market for Apple's iPad doubling in the first quarter of 2011.

ChangeWave Research on Wednesday revealed the results of its latest survey of 1,651 business IT buyers conducted in November. A total of 7 percent of respondents said they have equipped their employees with tablet devices, and 82 percent of those are Apple's iPad.

Like in the consumer market, customer satisfaction with the iPad in enterprise is head and shoulders above its peers. iPad users were 69 percent "very satisfied," compared to 23 percent for an HP tablet and 12 percent for Dell.

While current tablet usage sits at 7 percent, the survey found that it is set to double to 14 percent in the next quarter. That indicates that the total number of companies deploying tablets is set to double in the next three months.

And although there are new options on the market like the Samsung Galaxy Tab, companies have indicated they are sticking with the iPad. Of those surveyed, 78 percent said they plan to buy an iPad versus competing tablets. Dell and Research in Motion were tied in a distant second place with 9 percent each.

Corporations said their iPad will mostly be used for Internet access, checking e-mail and working away from the office. But business users are also now more likely to use the iPad as a desktop replacement than they were in the previous August survey.

Enterprise isn't the only targeted market where the iPad is making a splash. In November, ChangeWave found that the Amazon Kindle is rapidly losing share in the e-reader market to Apple's iPad.

ChangeWave also found that netbook demand has shrunk since the iPad was introduced. And among consumers looking to buy a tablet in October, 80 percent said they would choose the iPad, compared to just 8 percent for the RIM Playbook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    CEO of the decade does not care about being Person of the Year.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/12/...of-the-decade/
  • Reply 2 of 19
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It doesn't mean much, the competitors are still finding their feet. Next year will be a far more competitive year for tablets than this year was. If Apple is still in the same position next year it will really be something. (That's not to discount the innovation that got them this lead in the first place.)
  • Reply 3 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It doesn't mean much, the competitors are still finding their feet. Next year will be a far more competitive year for tablets than this year was. If Apple is still in the same position next year it will really be something. (That's not to discount the innovation that got them this lead in the first place.)

I would expect it to drop after a demo of Android 3.0 and upcoming tablets are announced, but I also expect Apple to stay far in front of any other vendor.

How is their iPhone corporate interest in the US compared to other smartphone vendors? I seem to recall they were at the top of that list.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    This is like saying that most airline prefer Boeing and Airbus, who else is there. My son is a fanatical collector of leading edge consumer technology. He has already owned 3 different Android tablets, but none of them (except the Galaxy, which is a niche product) are even approved by Google (they don't have the minimum hardware and they don't have the latest version of Android). What company or individual would specify an Android tablet at this point? This is in no way a trend indicator anymore than the dominance of the Iphone was a trend indicator before there were any Android phone of significance. This time next year will be a hugely different story, when there are Android 2.3 (the first version actually written for a tablet, not even released yet) tablets and Windows tablets from a bunch of companies. I would expect Android tablets to take over just as Android has in the phone market, but probably faster since Android is so dominant in phone already.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I would expect it to drop after a demo of Android 3.0 and upcoming tablets are announced, but I also expect Apple to stay far in front of any other vendor.

How is their iPhone corporate interest in the US compared to other smartphone vendors? I seem to recall they were at the top of that list.

Apparently you'll have to wait until Adobe "certifies" them.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    The iPad tidal wave rolls on...
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Well said.

Also, methodologies in these surveys are always suspect. Plus people's opinions change.

In the end, it is sales that matter. Before basically this month, the iPad was the market so of course it was 100% of the sales. Now there are a couple of competitors just launching. But they barely have their toes wet. So no shock they together are only 1%

but what about as time goes on. Do they rise or do they fall. Do we continue to see this company or that school buys iPads every other day or do we see that perhaps once every two ekes and the rest are other devices. Do we see lines around the block for the iPad 2 with every reviewer heaping on praise but the other guys quietly slip in with nothing etc

A year from now when the selection is a bit more mature is a better time to judge the finalists
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...among consumers looking to buy a tablet in October, 80 percent said they would choose the iPad, compared to just 8 percent for the RIM Playbook.

Huh? Consumers looking at buying a tablet in October?

Am I missing something? Why would anyone say Playbook if it wasn't (and isn't) out?
  • Reply 9 of 19

78%+9%+9%+8%+4% = 108%?

WTF?
  • Reply 10 of 19
    The iPad 2 will have a display port connector that will fit in to a larger dock or just let you connect a display to it on its own. This is the large port hole on the new iPad cases that showed up on the interwebs a week or so ago. Not sure what else goes there, but I am pretty sure it is an SD card (from reading other reports.) No confirmation on the 4x "retina display" idea...

Apps will scale up to a "blown-up" version on a display when it is plugged in regardless of the resolution on a display, until iOS 5 comes out and allows for native resolution depending on whether a display is plugged in to it for displays up to 1920 by 1080 or so (may go to the native on a 27" apple display,) and apps will be able to be written to work just like they do on a regular computer- think pages, numbers, etc. where the app does not need to be resolution or aspect ratio specific.

So, in short, iPad 2- docks its your desktop. Un-docked, it's what we have now.

Why do I know this? It's my purpose to know 'n stuff...
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

The iPad 2 will have a display port connector that will fit in to a larger dock or just let you connect a display to it on its own. This is the large port hole on the new iPad cases that showed up on the interwebs a week or so ago. Not sure what else goes there, but I am pretty sure it is an SD card (from reading other reports.) No confirmation on the 4x "retina display" idea...

Apps will scale up to a "blown-up" version on a display when it is plugged in regardless of the resolution on a display, until iOS 5 comes out and allows for native resolution depending on whether a display is plugged in to it for displays up to 1920 by 1080 or so (may go to the native on a 27" apple display,) and apps will be able to be written to work just like they do on a regular computer- think pages, numbers, etc. where the app does not need to be resolution or aspect ratio specific.

So, in short, iPad 2- docks its your desktop. Un-docked, it's what we have now.

Why do I know this? It's my purpose to know 'n stuff...

I hink it would be cool if the iPad had an optional stand that made it look like a mini iMac.

When placed in the stand it would then run Mac OS X and use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by captbilly View Post

This is like saying that most airline prefer Boeing and Airbus

That analogy is complete crap. Look at all the Microsoft based tablet products that epically failed over the past decade.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Unless Apple decides to share the savings they accrue due to high volume manufacturing with their customers, I really don't give a crap what the suits in the C suite use. Nor do I care how much stuff Apple sells to somebody else.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Enterprise isn't the only targeted market where the iPad is making a splash. In November, ChangeWave found that the Amazon Kindle is rapidly losing share in the e-reader market to Apple's iPad.

The iPad is not an e-reader. An e-reader is a single purpose device made just for reading books and periodicals. There are many people with iPads that don't even use it as an e-reader. If sales of the Kindle and other e-readers were falling because of the iPad, then that would be significant. However as far as I know that is not the case. Saying that the Kindle's market share is falling as a result of the iPad is disingenuous because the iPad is much more than an e-reader.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

The iPad is not an e-reader. An e-reader is a single purpose device made just for reading books and periodicals. There are many people with iPads that don't even use it as an e-reader. If sales of the Kindle and other e-readers were falling because of the iPad, then that would be significant. However as far as I know that is not the case. Saying that the Kindle's market share is falling as a result of the iPad is disingenuous because the iPad is much more than an e-reader.

However most people are in the market for an iPad OR a Kindle, not an iPad AND a Kindle.

Since I have purchased an iPad, I am not even considering getting a Kindle.

The other advantage the iPad has is that all the other eReader apps are available on the iPad.

So in effect the iPad is a kindle and a nook.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Unless Apple decides to share the savings they accrue due to high volume manufacturing with their customers, I really don't give a crap what the suits in the C suite use. Nor do I care how much stuff Apple sells to somebody else.

Unless you learn to write something intelligent and coherent, I really don't give a crap about your comments. Nor do I care how many Apple-hating comments you post everywhere.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

However most people are in the market for an iPad OR a Kindle, not an iPad AND a Kindle.

Since I have purchased an iPad, I am not even considering getting a Kindle.

The other advantage the iPad has is that all the other eReader apps are available on the iPad.

So in effect the iPad is a kindle and a nook.

Well a better metric would be e-book sales. That's all Amazon really cares about anyway. I'm sure they'd prefer that you buy a Kindle because then you have to buy your books from them.

If you are going to include iPads in e-book sales, you ought to also include the sale of desktop computers in video game console shares and smart phones in the sales of portable music players.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    The hospital that I work for is opening up to the ipad. Executives are already using it despite the fact that the VP for the IT department is anti apple. I think they are seeing it as a way to save money on toner and paper because email attachments for meetings don't need to be printed.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

Well a better metric would be e-book sales. That's all Amazon really cares about anyway.

I'm sure the Kindle division at Amazon would be surprised to hear your "insight"