Can't choose between MBPs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Alright, so I'm a current senior in high school, though I'm targeting things for college so I can save up. As far as laptops are concerned, I'm really thinking about investing in a MBP because I've heard they are excellent for use with the adobe creative suit, which I will be using religiously because I'm going to get my BFA in photography. I just can't decide between the 15" 2.66ghz or the 17" 2.53ghz. The 17" is really attractive to me mainly it's got the large screen (I have a 22" lcd for my pc desktop) and in turn a higher resolution. The 15" however has that faster processor speed (i7) and I've heard it's much more compact. I also heard the keyboard placement on the 15" is a bit more comfortable.

Is that increase in resolution worth more than the small jump (I think I read it was about 5% faster in some google search) and smaller size for my field of work?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    For photography you need as much screen real estate as you can get, before all else. So, of those 2 MBPs I would get the 17" model. (I've got one).

But why choose an MBP in the first place? In your place I would get me a 27" i5 quadcore iMac and an iPad2 and run my iMac remotely on the iPad with (free) Teamviewer software. Much more screen real estate, much more power and storage, and much more portability.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Don't buy until the Sandy Bridge update, which should be in the spring. Heck, if you're still in high school, wait for the summer to get a free iPod in addition to the year-round free printer.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Now that there's a high resolution option on the 15" MBP (1680 x 1050), I think this offers the best price, performance and portability tradeoff. If it was me, I'd get the 15" with Hi-Res antiglare screen option, and an external monitor. Make sure the external has an IPS panel.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    @Rocket Scientist

Thing is I need something I can take to school as well as travel with. As much as I like the thought of getting a new desktop, it's not going to happen for a while unless I start making bank. Plus I do enjoy my Windows 7 desktop :P

@Tallest Skil

Sandy Bridge update? Care to elaborate on this and how it affects buying an MBP? I'm a Zune user, so the iPod doesn't really spark my interest anywhere near as much as the free printer. Details on that?

@Mr. H

Is the high resolution option for that 2.66ghz MBP? Or is does that option come up when you actually go to add a laptop to your cart online? I have a 22" monitor currently that I bet I could use with the MBP.

I plan on buying this next year during the summer or so before I go to college in the fall quarter. Do I need to be actively enrolled to get that student discount?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bairhanz View Post

Is the high resolution option for that 2.66ghz MBP? Or is does that option come up when you actually go to add a laptop to your cart online?

The standard resolution for all 15" MBPs is 1440 x 900. 1680 x 1050 is a build-to-order option. Hi-Res + Anti Glare costs an extra $150.

Quote:

I have a 22" monitor currently that I bet I could use with the MBP.

Does it have an IPS panel and LED backlight?

Quote:

Do I need to be actively enrolled to get that student discount?

Probably. Discounts are substantial so probably better to wait.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Sandy Bridge update? Care to elaborate on this and how it affects buying an MBP? I'm a Zune user, so the iPod doesn't really spark my interest anywhere near as much as the free printer. Details on that?

Sandy Bridge is the new processor family. They're saying, what a 10-15% improvement in performance, and the graphics cards will be forced to change (read: update), among other things.

Also, the next update will probably remove the ODD from models and add a solid-state drive for the OS and some applications, probably in addition to a standard hard drive. It's just worth waiting.

Quote:

I plan on buying this next year during the summer or so before I go to college in the fall quarter. Do I need to be actively enrolled to get that student discount?

If you buy online, the checks are random. If you buy from a store, they require your ID and possibly schedule.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

@Rocket Scientist

Thing is I need something I can take to school as well as travel with.

There's nothing more portable than an iPad (2).

Quote:

As much as I like the thought of getting a new desktop, it's not going to happen for a while unless I start making bank. Plus I do enjoy my Windows 7 desktop :P

In that case you don't even need an MBP at all! A fully decked out iPad (2) loaded with free Teamviewer is all you need because you can operate your beloved Windows7 desktop machine remotely from your iPad. Wherever you are.

And you save HUNDREDS between that MBP and that iPad! You do the math! Savings that you can apply towards e.g. extra RAM, or to a bigger/better screen, or to software (CS5 is about 200 bucks with all discounts applied!). All extremely useful!

And since it is free you can already try out Teamviewer (Teamviewer.com) right now! Simply install it on your mom's or a friend's machine, and on your own Windows7 machine, fire up both and see for yourself how it works.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

There's nothing more portable than an iPad (2).

In that case you don't even need an MBP at all! A fully decked out iPad (2) loaded with free Teamviewer is all you need because you can operate your beloved Windows7 desktop machine remotely from your iPad. Wherever you are.

And you save HUNDREDS between that MBP and that iPad! You do the math! Savings that you can apply towards e.g. extra RAM, or to a bigger/better screen, or to software (CS5 is about 200 bucks with all discounts applied!). All extremely useful!

And since it is free you can already try out Teamviewer (Teamviewer.com) right now! Simply install it on your mom's or a friend's machine, and on your own Windows7 machine, fire up both and see for yourself how it works.

That made me queasy. I think I'll just wait for that Sandy Bridge update. By forcing the graphics cards to change, would that necessarily mean for the better?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

That made me queasy. I think I'll just wait for that Sandy Bridge update. By forcing the graphics cards to change, would that necessarily mean for the better?

If Apple makes their new GPUs worse than the current model, zero people will buy their computers. It's pretty simple to understand.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If Apple makes their new GPUs worse than the current model, zero people will buy their computers. It's pretty simple to understand.

You can't possibly actually believe that.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

You can't possibly actually believe that.

No, of course not. It's an idiotic move that we won't see, however.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, of course not. It's an idiotic move that we won't see, however.

I think it's likely that the 13" Macbook Pro will grow a discrete GPU, even if it has to sacrifice its optical drive. But the plastic Macbook? I can definitely see that returning to Intel integrated graphics.

And forum kvetching notwithstanding, I don't think that will hurt sales one bit.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Now that there's a high resolution option on the 15" MBP (1680 x 1050), I think this offers the best price, performance and portability tradeoff. If it was me, I'd get the 15" with Hi-Res antiglare screen option, and an external monitor. Make sure the external has an IPS panel.

AGREED!