Apple upping Q1 2011 iPhone shipments to 21M, sources say

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report claims that Apple has raised its first quarter 2011 iPhone shipment target to 20-21 million units, including 14-15 million WCDMA iPhones and 5-6 million CDMA units.

Taiwanese publication DigiTimes reported Monday that Apple is increasing its original goal of 19 million million units, citing Taiwan-based component suppliers. According to sources, a CDMA iPhone is set to launch in North America and Asia Pacific in the first quarter with a shipment goal of 5-6 million units in the first quarter.

Reports of a North America and Asia Pacific launch match rumors that the U.S. and China will be among the first countries to offer a CDMA-compatible iPhone. Though rumors of an iPhone on the Verizon network in the U.S. have persisted for years, an October report by The Wall Street Journal lent credence to rumors that Apple intends to introduce the iPhone on Verizon in early 2011.

JP Morgan analyst Mark Moskowitz sees the anticipated launch of the iPhone on Verizon as potentially adding at least $1.25 incremental earnings per share annually.

China Telecom is also rumored to be in talks with Apple over a CDMA iPhone, in hopes of an early 2011 release as well. China Unicom, as the exclusive official carrier for the iPhone in China, continues to struggle to meet demand for the iPhone 4. According to Brian White of Ticonderoga Securities, China "remains in the early stages of catching 'Apple fever.'"

Digitimes' sources also suggested that fourth quarter 2010 shipments of Apple's smartphone are estimated at 15.5 million units, bringing the total units shipped in 2010 to 47 million. The sources reiterated earlier reports that Foxconn and Pegatron Technology will share the production volume for the CDMA version, while Foxconn will be the only maker of WCDMA iPhones.

In the October quarter, Apple sold 14.1 million iPhones, posting record revenue of $20.34 billion. Analysts expect the iPhone maker to sell as many as 16 million units in the December quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    IF there is any truth to is, the sources are likely very limited and someone would be putting some potentially profitable deals in major jeopardy. I feel safe in saying that there are 'do not talk about this until after it is announced by Apple' rules in place and violating that would be cause to break even a signed contract (as that rule and said condition would be in the contract).

Which makes me think that once again Digitimes is pulling things out of an orifice. An increase in the number of phones could be correct. The rest of their report however could be total fiction
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Are they talking about the first calendar quarter or Apple's first quarter? Probably the former, but it's not easy to tell.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    ...on top of how many GSM/UMTS models?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Are they talking about the first calendar quarter or Apple's first quarter? Probably the former, but it's not easy to tell.

Mmh... In my opinion the former........
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giosaccone View Post

Mmh... In my opinion the former........

I guess, but unfortunately the article (including the original) does make us guess. For those who might not get the distinction, Apple's first fiscal quarter of 2011 is the last calendar quarter of 2010.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I guess, but unfortunately the article (including the original) does make us guess. For those who might not get the distinction, Apple's first fiscal quarter of 2011 is the last calendar quarter of 2010.

Since it specifically states CDMA iPhones ? which aren't yet announced ? I'd say it can only refer to the 1st calendar quarter of 2011.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    i think they will sell more than 16M in the December Q.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Since it specifically states CDMA iPhones ? which aren't yet announced ? I'd say it can only refer to the 1st calendar quarter of 2011.

Unless Apple is currently building them for early January release. You see, I already thought of that.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Unless Apple is currently building them for early January release. You see, I already thought of that.

I woul imagine they have building them for awhile now if it's for a January release, but that would still mean it shipments in the 1st calendar quarter of 2011.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Anyway that indicates about 100M iPhones next year.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

I woul imagine they have building them for awhile now if it's for a January release, but that would still mean it shipments in the 1st calendar quarter of 2011.

You're probably right, but the article is based on orders to manufacturers, or so it seems. One simple word in the article would have removed the ambiguity.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

You're probably right, but the article is based on orders to manufacturers, or so it seems. One simple word in the article would have removed the ambiguity.

Ah, I see your PoV. Since it specifically stated iPhones (which I read a whole product) I assumed the talk of components from suppliers is how they inferred their conclusion.

How accurate is DigiTimes? I can?t recall them being too on the mark in the past.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Ah, I see your PoV. Since it specifically stated iPhones (which I read a whole product) I assumed the talk of components from suppliers is how they inferred their conclusion.

How accurate is DigiTimes? I can?t recall them being too on the mark in the past.

It's all a shot in the dark, but that won't keep us from talking about it.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

...on top of how many GSM/UMTS models?

It's in the first sentence of the article: "14-15 million WCDMA iPhones." WCDMA is another acronym for the GSM/UTMS technology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W-CDMA_%28UMTS%29
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Don't forget that Apple posts on here as well. Either with real information or disinformation it doesn't matter really. Some things are better taken out of context and reading between the lines is something we've been taught since we were young. Some people can clearly see it, some can not. It's best when people refute reality due to perceived expectations.

This is a rumor forum none the less...