MacBook Pro 13" Water question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Well my sons 4 month old MacBook Pro 13" took on water the other day. It seems to be working fine after drying out. The water was spilled on the keyboard. We are happy it is working but if now his extra 2 year applecare is gone I was thinking he should apply for a refund since it can never be serviced if sensors are tripped.

I found this website showing where 4 of them are:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...d_and_ram.html

And the 4 in the first picture are fine. But my question is this, in the second picture looks like there are 4 more under the keyboard. But the picture says MacBook Pro 15". So does the 13" only have the 4 or is there 8?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    You won't be getting a refund on AppleCare for ruining your computer. You paid for it and lost it fair and square.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You won't be getting a refund on AppleCare for ruining your computer. You paid for it and lost it fair and square.

Read the contract. You can apply for refund/credit at any point for any reason. It's prorated but better than nothing.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmilyard View Post

Read the contract. You can apply for refund/credit at any point for any reason. It's prorated but better than nothing.

That's insane! You could buy it, keep it three years, and then sell it back on the last day when nothing has happened to your machine! OR, even if something HAS happened to your machine!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    It's prorated with a $25 cancel fee looks like. So the longer you have the less money you'll get back. I am gussing at some point it wouldn't be worth it but this MacBook and Applecare is 4 months old. But all seems ok with it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Well my sons 4 month old MacBook Pro 13" took on water the other day. It seems to be working fine after drying out. The water was spilled on the keyboard. We are happy it is working but if now his extra 2 year applecare is gone I was thinking he should apply for a refund since it can never be serviced if sensors are tripped.

And the 4 in the first picture are fine. But my question is this, in the second picture looks like there are 4 more under the keyboard. But the picture says MacBook Pro 15". So does the 13" only have the 4 or is there 8?

That is life! He should be more careful.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's insane! You could buy it, keep it three years, and then sell it back on the last day when nothing has happened to your machine! OR, even if something HAS happened to your machine!

really now

i thought every knew apple was doomed

i got 90 bucks from apple for my broken rubber bumper

• Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

I use to work for Apple and Best Buy, Word of advice for the future. Yes you can return Apple care at ANY time regardless of the state of the computer and get a prorated credit.

The next time you by an Apple product buy it from Best Buy they have an accidental plan that's about the same price as apple care BUT does cover water damage or whatever happens to your Apple, even falling out of a plane at 2000 feet (yes that did happen to a customer and yes he got a new computer)

Best of luck!