Microsoft to announce Windows on ARM at CES

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
(Rumour)http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...-ces-show.html



IMO this is a pretty significant rumour... But if it is the same old Windows on a tablet, just this time on ARM, well, insanity is defined by... well, you know the rest.

Comments

  • MarvinMarvin Posts: 13,537member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    IMO this is a pretty significant rumour... But if it is the same old Windows on a tablet, just this time on ARM, well, insanity is defined by... well, you know the rest.



    It's not that significant just now IMO. The only reason why a full version of Windows for ARM would be significant is if it could run the huge catalogue of Windows software. It can't without them being recompiled.



    Also, they have an ARM OS - Windows Phone 7. This would have to be yet another variant.



    Windows Server for ARM processors I could understand but I don't think another mobile OS is needed. Of course they probably can't scale the Windows Phone 7 UI up so for the tablets, Windows for ARM makes sense.



    Until they actually deliver something though.... meh.
  • nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    It's not that significant just now IMO. The only reason why a full version of Windows for ARM would be significant is if it could run the huge catalogue of Windows software. It can't without them being recompiled.



    Also, they have an ARM OS - Windows Phone 7. This would have to be yet another variant.



    Windows Server for ARM processors I could understand but I don't think another mobile OS is needed. Of course they probably can't scale the Windows Phone 7 UI up so for the tablets, Windows for ARM makes sense.



    Until they actually deliver something though.... meh.



    Fair enough. So Microsoft will be releasing a unique Windows OS for ARM Tablets? And have they been working on it? How long will it take to release? How closely related to WP7 will this be?



    Indeed, until they actually deliver something, this smells of fail.



    What if though Microsoft released Windows for ARM that actually ran x86 software and new Windows7Tablet apps? Or Windows for ARM would result in yet more fragmentation... Could Microsoft make Office for Windows ARM? That's actually the killer app everyone is waiting for, not the HP Slate running regular Windows.



    Actually, the more I think about it the more it seems that Microsoft has ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE wtf it is doing outside of the usual Windows, Office and Xbox360. They really have no idea. WP7 was to get up to speed in the smartphone race, and they're well late to the party. WindowsARM would be get up to speed in the tablet race, and they're late again - I can't imagine how much R&D has gone into anything significant in terms of WindowsARM.
  • MarvinMarvin Posts: 13,537member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    Fair enough. So Microsoft will be releasing a unique Windows OS for ARM Tablets?



    I would say that's the most likely outcome. HP's purchase of Palm for use on tablets will act against Microsoft when they push WebOS alongside Windows 7 in the same domain. People will see that Windows 7 isn't optimised well enough.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    And have they been working on it? How long will it take to release? How closely related to WP7 will this be?



    It probably wouldn't take that long but it would lack a number of hardware drivers. I'd expect this device to be completely unrelated to WP7. That UI would be horrendous on a big screen. They'd be better off just making it work like Windows 7 on current tablets.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    Indeed, until they actually deliver something, this smells of fail.



    Microsoft have done this too many times. Although Apple uses hype to build support for their products, they at least pull off product launches very well. With Microsoft, it's been failure after failure and a raft of cancelled products. The Kin, the Courier, even Microsoft Surface is a non-starter really - yes Microsoft in this world of mobile devices, I'd like a coffee table to leave my mobile devices on thanks.



    Kinect and their XBox 360 they have done quite well but they aren't profitable ventures.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    What if though Microsoft released Windows for ARM that actually ran x86 software



    ARM is too slow to do something like binary translation like Apple used to run PPC apps and they aren't optimised for touch. They'd have to start over like Apple did and they are 3.5 years late to the game. It would result in more fragmentation as you say but at least the apps made for it could be compatible with x86 Windows, which is one thing that's not true about iOS apps yet. I suspect Lion will change this with the 'back to the Mac' strategy.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    Could Microsoft make Office for Windows ARM? That's actually the killer app everyone is waiting for, not the HP Slate running regular Windows.



    Yeah there wouldn't be anything preventing that. The lack of a physical keyboard might prevent it being a killer app in that form factor combined with the fact that the Windows 7 on-screen keyboard isn't that good but it's one of the most useful business apps and would be compelling for business users.



    Still, you'd have to assess what people are actually doing while they are mobile. I think Apple has done this research. I can't think of a single time I've ever seen anyone in my life doing work while commuting. Sure you get writers but they can use anything to type on. Anyone doing business, it's just communications - emailing and calling. There's little to no productivity on the go so I think Microsoft have to focus on entertainment. Their best idea would probably be sticking a Blu-Ray drive in it though.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,471member
    Cool, Windows 7 Mobile on the iPad alongside iOS and Honeycomb.



    Just shows that the iPad remains the best option.
  • backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    There's a big thread over at Ars on this. Even Peter Bright thinks its not a good idea.



    Windows 7 on ARM=fail.



    Why they won't adapt WP7 for tablets mystifies me.
  • splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    MS's goose is already cooked. Their island is Windows and Office on PCs. Nobody wants to bring that crap onto their tablets, and they merely put up with it on their PCs for legacy's sake.
Sign In or Register to comment.