Aperture is now $79.99 at the Mac App Store

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
While still being $199 at the regular online Apple Store. Not sure what's going on here, you'd think Apple would make a big deal over such a massive price cut, but I would recommend anyone who's been wavering to grab it up pronto.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

While still being $199 at the regular online Apple Store. Not sure what's going on here, you'd think Apple would make a big deal over such a massive price cut, but I would recommend anyone who's been wavering to grab it up pronto.

I wonder if it will be temporary though. It makes sense for it to remain at a high price in-store to encourage people to buy through the App Store. Plus, the money they make will be partly based on traffic. They will get way more people seeing the app when the store is installed on every Mac running 10.6.6 than they will by people loading up the Apple Store so it justifies the lower price.

This may be a cause for anti-competitive action actually because companies like Adobe could complain that Apple are using their own store to unfairly promote their own apps. They should probably be careful about putting their own apps on the front page or in the charts.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I wonder if it will be temporary though. It makes sense for it to remain at a high price in-store to encourage people to buy through the App Store. Plus, the money they make will be partly based on traffic. They will get way more people seeing the app when the store is installed on every Mac running 10.6.6 than they will by people loading up the Apple Store so it justifies the lower price.

This may be a cause for anti-competitive action actually because companies like Adobe could complain that Apple are using their own store to unfairly promote their own apps. They should probably be careful about putting their own apps on the front page or in the charts.

I would have thought that Apple would be free to sell whatever they want, however they want, in their own store? I mean, pretty clearly the brick and mortar Apple Store is "promoting their own hardware" and I haven't heard any talk of anticompetitive action.

They might irritate developers, if they push their own stuff over competing third party apps, but I can't see where their would be any basis for legal remedies. Even Amazon relentlessly pushes the Kindle, while selling competing ebook readers.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I would have thought that Apple would be free to sell whatever they want, however they want, in their own store? I mean, pretty clearly the brick and mortar Apple Store is "promoting their own hardware" and I haven't heard any talk of anticompetitive action.

They might irritate developers, if they push their own stuff over competing third party apps, but I can't see where their would be any basis for legal remedies. Even Amazon relentlessly pushes the Kindle, while selling competing ebook readers.

You're right with Amazon and I guess a few others like Google selling their phones through google.com. But Microsoft was just bundling a browser along with their OS. If Apple's move puts their own software at the forefront at the expense of other developers who can't comply with their regulations, it may be seen as unfair.

It will probably be one of those cases where it depends on the outcome. I reckon with the choices Apple has made, 3rd party developers will get a lot of positive benefits from it and the price cutting benefits consumers. Hopefully it won't end up with 300,000 apps and only about 10 of them are worthwhile like on the iTunes store.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I guess the big question is, is the Aperture app exactly the same program as the software Aperture, or is it Aperture Lite?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I guess the big question is, is the Aperture app exactly the same program as the software Aperture, or is it Aperture Lite?

There is no Aperture "lite".
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

if you buy the physical version you get dvd tutorials and books, and .....stickers 8^)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    FWIW, The App Store does not allow for free/discounted app version updates. This means when Aperture 4 comes out, users of Aperture 3 will have to pay full price for the new version.

Yes, there will be free updates of 3, but not upgrades from 3 to 4 and beyond.