iBook for the Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Would someone help me understand why Apple did not add iBook reader to the new app store?

I have an iPad and buy and read a lot of books but would love to be able to read these same purchased books on my MacBook Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Because it's easier to get you to buy an iDevice than pay for some cheap software.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because it's easier to get you to buy an iDevice than pay for some cheap software.

I was afraid that would happen. They are selling all the iPads they can make so you'd think that they would want to sell more books. Hell, they could even keep their customers happy.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WV Dan View Post

I was afraid that would happen. They are selling all the iPads they can make so you'd think that they would want to sell more books. Hell, they could even keep their customers happy.

More people want to read in a book format than in a laptop format. They're keeping people happy.

It's not as though you can't use any of the dozen ePub readers to read your books, anyway. Apple doesn't need their own standalone application.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

More people want to read in a book format than in a laptop format. They're keeping people happy.

It's not as though you can't use any of the dozen ePub readers to read your books, anyway. Apple doesn't need their own standalone application.

I've miss something. How can I read books I bought on iTunes on another reader? This could be big for me.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

... Apple doesn't need their own standalone application.

Except that books purchased through iBooks have DRM that other readers can't decipher. So that can't be read from OSX until Apple makes available a desktop version of iBooks.

Quote:

I've miss something. How can I read books I bought on iTunes on another reader? This could be big for me.

You can't... TallestSkil just assumes that since HE has no use for it, then no one else does either.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

You can't... TallestSkil just assumes that since HE has no use for it, then no one else does either.

Nope. Just stating Apple's position. Buy an iDevice if you want to read eBooks.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Nope. Just stating Apple's position. Buy an iDevice if you want to read eBooks.

By that logic, 6 years ago you would have stated that Apple's position on phones was "Buy a Nokia if you want a good phone."

But they obviously had something better in the works.

Even if SJ himself told you that there was no OSX iBooks app on the way, it would mean absolutely nothing... in fact, it might even lead one to believe there WAS one on the way.

I have a hard time believing that you know any more than anyone else what "Apple's position" is on ANYthing.

While the iPad is certainly a BETTER way to read "books"... there are time's when I'd like to be able to access them from the desktop as well. I would dare to say that when electronic readers are as ubiquitous as iPods, you'll see DRM for books go away like it did for music.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

That is obviously not a priority for Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

That is obviously not a priority for Apple.

When I asked question yesterday it was out of frustration. I've been waiting on the new Mac App store to help me with this issue. I think it is an obvious addition and would have absolutely no impact on iPad sales.

I own three Macs, two iPhones and an iPad. I know most people own more than one computing or mobile device so the addition seems logical to me. Amazon seems to agree with me.