Unhelpful speculation

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I bought my first Mac in November and installed various Apps which I knew would be necessary to my work. Love the machine and love the Apps.

As a newby I joined or hovered on the fringes of several forums with a view to learning more quickly. In general it has been very helpful so far, and I've no regrets. However, one of the things I was advised early on was that I should hold off validating my evaluation copy of IWork because a new version was imminent. Members confidently and authorititavely informed me a new version (IWork 11) would be launched with the new Mac App Store on 6 January. I have therefore spent about a month waiting..

Guess what? It turns out that those who responded so knowingly, knew no more than I did!

Please will we all learn from this? Stop speculating and taking personal wish lists, turning them into definitive facts and advising others of the good news. It really is not helpful to anyone and only raises expectations which are never going to be met.

On the other hand, those of you who have real news, please keep us informed, it can be helpful providing we're dealing with facts, not idle speculation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It's your fault for believing people here. Why the heck would you expect us to know more than Apple tells you?

Stop speculating? Just try finding a different website. No one here knows anything; that's the final disclaimer.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    And that's just about the most unhelpful comment I've come across here!

Grow up! We are here to share what we know with others who have broadly the same interest in at least one Apple product. If you don't have anything useful to add to a discussion, then sit it out till you find something which you can contribute to.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MartinMac View Post

If you don't have anything useful to add to a discussion, then sit it out till you find something which you can contribute to.

There wouldn't really be any posts here, then. It's all speculation. We know nothing until Apple tells us. You apparently were hurt by the lack of iWork '11 in the store for whatever reason. Taking it out on the community is pointless. Just continue "holding out" or get iWork '09 now. Or get Office or OpenOffice. You made a mistake; just learn from it and ignore people who claim to know things for a fact.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I am neither hurt, nor 'taking it out' on the community here.

I am simply making what I believe to be a constructive suggestion which might help others in the future, and which might help us all to aid those newcomers who are trying to get to grips with not only a new way of working, but also a very different culture to that of Bill's army at Redmond Way.

As an example, I played an active role in the Beta program for MS Office 2010 (Windows) Most Windows Office users knew for well over a year that the release was coming and when. Apple is different and for those who don't know how they work, the differences can sometimes be frustrating.

Forums like AppleInsider are a huge support for people like me, who have just moved over or who do not have a long history with Apple. I have a great respect for those who give their time to help.. All I ask is that the information which is given should be accurate in order to be as helpful as possible. I'd rather people say 'I don't know' than respond with what they think someone wishes to hear. I suspect others looking for advice would too.

Please accept this as a constructive comment, t is by no means intended to be anything else.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

... and ignore people who claim to know things for a fact.

Also ignore folks who claim to know "Apple's position" on various technologies or application strategies.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Also ignore folks who claim to know "Apple's position" on various technologies or application strategies.

Saying that Apple doesn't care about iDVD because it hasn't been updated in four years is a legitimate standpoint, among other things I've said.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MartinMac View Post

I am simply making what I believe to be a constructive suggestion which might help others in the future, and which might help us all to aid those newcomers who are trying to get to grips with not only a new way of working, but also a very different culture to that of Bill's army at Redmond Way.

It can be very frustrating. Apple does this because (and I quote) they like to 'surprise and delight' their users. A lot of the time it's just bitter disappointment but they do pull one out of the hat every so often that makes it worthwhile. There's no denying it gives them a hell of a lot of free publicity. Blogs all over the web jump every time the Apple Store goes down with the yellow sticker. I can't imagine any other online store in the world that would get treated like that.

Naturally people genuinely need information about updates so it leads people to follow trends and make conjectures. Sometimes the information available is enough that the projections are pretty assured. For example, I would strongly believe that Apple will update the MBP in either January or February and recommend that people hold off buying one now.

This is based on the following facts:

- Apple has never taken more than 10 months to update the MBP line

- Apple laptops make up 70% or more of their sales so are very important to keep updated

- Intel just released new CPUs and everyone else is updating to them

To me, this makes an update in the next few weeks almost a certainty. You're right that it would be wrong of me to say things like 'Apple will update the MBPs' as that would be misleading but people rely on strong conjectures to make decisions and those are often based on reliable evidence.

Software updates are the worst though because they have no dependencies. Hardware updates are easier because Apple essentially ships other people's hardware in a nice box. OS updates are not so bad as they are tested by developers but take guesses about software updates in general with a pinch of salt.