Google Android passes Apple's iPhone in total US subscribers - comScore

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Strong sales of phones running Google Android throughout 2010 have managed to push the mobile platform past Apple's iPhone in total active subscribers for the first time, according to comScore.

The research firm released its latest figures this week, revealing that Android was the second-largest mobile platform in November of 2010. Google jumped past Apple even though the iPhone did not lose any share of the market, percentage wise.

Android continued its fast growth, taking another 6.4 points from its previous total in September to give it 26 percent of the U.S. market of smartphone subscribers. Android now only trails Research in Motion, which lost 4.1 points to hold 33.5 percent of the market.

Apple and the iPhone came in third, representing 25 percent of the total domestic market. The Cupertino, Calif., company gained 0.8 points from its share in September.

Of course, Apple's smartphone presence consists solely of the iPhone, while handsets running Google Android are represented by a number of manufacturers and many more devices.

Behind Apple was Microsoft, which slipped from 10.8 percent in September to 9 percent in November. Microsoft's new mobile platform, Windows Phone 7, launched in November.

In all, comScore found that there were 234 million Americans ages 13 and over using mobile devices, with just 61.5 million of those being smartphone owners. But the smartphone market continues to grow, increasing in size by 10 percent in November, versus the previous survey from September.

Quarterly sales of Android phones were first reported to have passed the iPhone in May of 2010. The new data from comScore represents devices actively being used, rather than current sales figures.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 163
    1) When we can actually start to see (audited, segment) profit numbers for Google and the handset makers, this type of news will start to make more contextual sense.

2) If I were Android, I'd be deeply worried about the impending arrival of iPhone on Verizon. Growth could start to decelerate fairly dramatically.
  • Reply 2 of 163
    riderrider Posts: 31member
    when would AI get it .. Android is not a phone ! ... Iphone is a phone . let me know when M Droid outsells Iphone 4
  • Reply 3 of 163
    surursurur Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Behind Apple was Microsoft, which slipped from 10.8 percent in September to 9 percent in November. Microsoft's new mobile platform, Windows Phone 7, launched in October.

It actually launched November 8th in USA, which this survey of installed base measures, but I am sure you will not correct your article.

http://windowsphonesecrets.com/2010/...is-november-8/
  • Reply 4 of 163
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rider View Post

when would AI get it .. Android is not a phone ! ... Iphone is a phone . let me know when M Droid outsells Iphone 4

I'm interested too. It's long time not only about phones, but operating systems too, so iOs vs Android and phones vs phones and since no manufacturer comes close to Apple in numbers i don't see how you can slap all numbers together.
  • Reply 5 of 163
    Verizon iPhone will be launching next month and it's going to thwart that number.
  • Reply 6 of 163
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    MS still holding onto about 10%. I think WP7 will be more successful than many think. I?d certainly choose it today over Android.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

2) If I were Android, I'd be deeply worried about the impending arrival of iPhone on Verizon. Growth could start to decelerate fairly dramatically.

Isn?t that 6.4% rise a dramatic slowdown over what it was doing? I?d have thought they?d be rising faster with so many devices coming to market for the holidays.
  • Reply 7 of 163
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Enjoy while it last you some 10 manufacturers sacrificing all your profits to try and compete against one. In a few weeks all your sacrifice will have bene for naught.
  • Reply 8 of 163
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Oh no! What will DED do to spin this awful news?

More rationalization on how phones running Android vs iPhones is not a valid comparison? We need to include non phone devices like iPads and iPods, or we should count all iPhones as iPhones, but treat the different Android devices separately?
  • Reply 9 of 163
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Samsung sold over 10 million of just the Galaxy S alone in 7 months. That's just one vendor. Considering how many Android choices there are (both in terms of handsets, and carriers), it would be news if Android totals didn't beat iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 163
    bstringbstring Posts: 104member
    I think you will be surprised at how little the Verizon iphone affects the trend.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

1) When we can actually start to see (audited, segment) profit numbers for Google and the handset makers, this type of news will start to make more contextual sense.

• Reply 11 of 163
    If apple developed other form factors, they would be in the clear then? Sounds easy

Quote:

• Reply 12 of 163
    pennywsepennywse Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Enjoy while it last you some 10 manufacturers sacrificing all your profits to try and compete against one. In a few weeks all your sacrifice will have bene for naught.

• Reply 13 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

More rationalization on how phones running Android vs iPhones is not a valid comparison? We need to include non phone devices like iPads and iPods, or we should count all iPhones as iPhones, but treat the different Android devices separately?

I?m curious to know why you think it?s valid to compare a single device to an operating system. I find it hard that anyone on this forum is unable to understand the logistical differences between a free OS licensed to any manufacture and one that only comes with the HW from one manufacture.
  • Reply 14 of 163
    All it means is that the ios platform is not the most popular amongst smartphone owners. Apple's client base has always been a niche market until the iphone came along and then they made billions. Now they can go back to making a high end niche product and earn record profits from loyalists. I think it's a winning formula.

On Galaxy S, Samsung also has a winning formula and it's a win-win in a growing market.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Samsung sold over 10 million of just the Galaxy S alone in 7 months. That's just one vendor. Considering how many Android choices there are (both in terms of handsets, and carriers), it would be news if Android totals didn't beat iPhone.

• Reply 15 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

I think you will be surprised at how little the Verizon iphone affects the trend.

Is Android selling as well on AT&T as on the other US carriers? If it is then I think we can assume your statement is correct. If not, I think it?s likely you?re wrong.
  • Reply 16 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

You really need to get over your DIlger fixation and find something healthy to obsess about, like stamps. Or butterflies.

Not one word about non-phone iOS devices was mentioned in this article. Are you so obtuse you cannot read an article without reading into it your obsessions? How does this commetary feed the discussion here with anything factual or relevant?
  • Reply 17 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Precisely. It WOULD be news if all Android-based phones put together, didn't beat sales of iPhone.

Of course, I doubt anyone would want to compare iOS based devises to Android based devices in a head to head operating system battle royale.
  • Reply 18 of 163
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

iPhone is actually 4 different phones. iOS is actually 9 different devices.
  • Reply 19 of 163
    these are very important figures, not only for profitability but also for adoption of the platform.

Ideally these would also include other devices that run on the OS'es (and specified with the capabilities of the devices that the OS can tap into)

i found myself doubting whether to buy an iPhone or an Android Phone just because of what apps would be available in the future. Unarguably IOS , like Android, has already a critical mass... but when it comes to platforms, chance is that one platform will be abandoned over time or will be ignored for certain applications.

Lets remind the early days of MAC OS vs Windows, the Mac almost dissapeared in '97. Why could it again lead to this??? Well, just like in the 80's, Android is freely available for other manufacturers to implement it in their devices, while iOS is not. widespread of the Android system in current applications and new ones (like seen in cars on CES) could lead to an Android platform that is many times more wide spread than the iOS platform. That's why developers would be more likely to pass up on the iOS platform than the Android platform.

now this is pessimistically off course, and i assume Apple has learned its lesson; but still this lingers in my mind...
  • Reply 20 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

iPhone is actually 4 different phones. iOS is actually 9 different devices.

if we?re going to count a model number differences that determine capacity, the only difference in these device, then you?ll have your work cut for you counting every slight HW difference in Android-based device in the world.