Apple's Steve Jobs could appear onstage at Jan. 11 Verizon event

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report claims that Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs will likely make an onstage appearance next Tuesday at Verizon's media event, which is rumored to contain the long-awaited announcement of a Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone.

After Verizon sent out invitations to members of the press for a Jan. 11 event with Verizon President Lowell McAdam, a flurry of speculation arose that the event would feature the debut of the Verizon iPhone.

John Paczkowski of the Wall Street Journal Digital Daily blog has added to the rumors, claiming that Apple's Jobs "will likely be a special guest."

"While the appearance isn?t 100 percent assured, sources in a position to know tell me that, barring any unforeseen circumstances, Jobs will likely join McAdam onstage in New York when he announces the addition of the iPhone to its handset lineup," wrote Paczkowski, who views the event's New York location as evidence of a simple carrier announcement for "last year's iPhone."

According to Paczkowski, a new hardware announcement would instead take place in Cupertino or San Francisco.

In October, McAdam told the press that "Apple is the one that has to make" the Verizon iPhone announcement.

Rumors surrounding the Jan. 11 event were bolstered Friday by another rumor that the Verizon iPhone will go on sale on Thursday, Feb. 3. Earlier this week, AppleInsider was first to report that Apple has blocked its retail employees from taking vacation for a three-week period from the last week in January to the first two weeks in February.

Photos and video of a purported "unreleased iPhone design" surfaced earlier this week. The new design alters Apple's controversial antenna design from the iPhone 4, with two "antenna gaps" on each side and none on top. The video, which was posted to YouTube, has since been removed due to a copyright claim from Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    After years of praising the merits of AT&T's network, the FASTEST in the country, which allows simultaneous data and voice use, Apple fanboys everywhere will be confused. Do they still say that AT&T is better than Verizon or do they get sucked in by the RDF telling them that Verizon is better. Or was it RDF which sucked them into thinking AT&T was the best?

Whichever one it is, one thing will be sure: fanboys will be praising the move just like they did once Apple changed from RISC to CISC processors.

RDF is very strong. It'll be interesting to see how the fanboys here react to it.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I don’t think that’s likely. I could see another member of Apple’s higher staff there, but not Jobs. Remember, Apple isn’t getting rid of AT&T and this isn’t some fancy new HW and OS/UI that needs to be demoed, it’s just the iPhone 4 for Verizon’s network according to most people.

PS: First Apple releases the Mac App Store on day 1 of CES and the Verizon drops the bomb on an event on day 2. Apple has stolen the focus of CES this year, which is ironic since most vendors were just playing copycat to Apple’s products.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Maybe he will do it using FaceTime from Cupertino

J/K

But I do think SJ will show up.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,945member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

After years of praising the merits of AT&T's network, the FASTEST in the country, which allows simultaneous data and voice use, Apple fanboys everywhere will be confused. Do they still say that AT&T is better than Verizon or do they get sucked in by the RDF telling them that Verizon is better. Or was it RDF which sucked them into thinking AT&T was the best?

Whichever one it is, one thing will be sure: fanboys will be praising the move just like they did once Apple changed from RISC to CISC processors.

RDF is very strong. It'll be interesting to see how the fanboys here react to it.

About as predictably as trollboys such as you.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Maybe he will do it using FaceTime from Cupertino

J/K

But I do think SJ will show up.

Why? Nothing to demo. And by showing up, he effectively snubs AT&T, which has been a good partner. There is no extra ummph to gain.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Drivel

Which is it? Is Verizon's network better, or is it AT&T? Or is it whatever Steve Jobs says it is?
  • Reply 7 of 64
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Why? Nothing to demo. And by showing up, he effectively snubs AT&T, which has been a good partner. There is no extra ummph to gain.

Apple is very protective when it comes to the iPhone and iPad. They didn't let AT&T make a single TV ad. I don't think Apple care about how AT&T looks now. AT&T changed the iPads data plans few days after the release. That probably pissed SJ. Beside, giving the iPhone to Verizon is worst than SJ showing up.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:

Apple are very protective when it comes to the iPhone and iPad. They didn't let AT&T make a single TV ad. I don't think Apple care about how AT&T looks now. AT&T changed the iPads data plans few days after the release. Beside, giving the iPhone to Verizon is worst than SJ showing up.

But they did let VZ make an iPad commercial.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

Which is it? Is Verizon's network better, or is it AT&T? Or is it whatever Steve Jobs says it is?

There's no correct answer its purely subjective. You'll get a million different answers. I tend to think that most of the ATT detractors were previous VZW customers ans switched because of the iPhone. They'll probably be the ones wanting to switch to VZW the most, and second those that live in an area where ATT has a problem with service.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Overseas Apple does not take part in any new carrier announcements. So you might be right.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    Quote:

Apple is very protective when it comes to the iPhone and iPad. They didn't let AT&T make a single TV ad. I don't think Apple care about how AT&T looks now. AT&T changed the iPads data plans few days after the release. That probably pissed SJ. Beside, giving the iPhone to Verizon is worst than SJ showing up.

I think Gruber sums up my take on this very nicely.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    l008coml008com Posts: 163member
    Quote:

The only reality distortion field is the one that you seem to live in, where apple users have been praising AT&T for years. Every single iphone users I know either hates AT&T, or finds it "as good" as any other provider. Sorry to ruin your fanboy narrative but it's all in your head.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

The only reality distortion field is the one that you seem to live in, where apple users have been praising AT&T for years. Every single iphone users I know either hates AT&T, or finds it "as good" as any other provider. Sorry to ruin your fanboy narrative but it's all in your head.

Highest number of dropped calls. The worst nationwide 3g coverage.

Yeah, nobody ever mentions that.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    I vowed to stick to my 1st gen iphone once my at&t contract expired, so that i could jump ship back to verizon as soon as their iphone arrives. It was very tempting but it may have finally paid off. Of course there will probably be a huge catch, something like verizon iphone plans all start at $99 or something crazy like that.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    Quote:

Lots of nobodies around here mention it all the fraking time. See above.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    I think you need to adjust your sarcasm detector.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I don't think that there will be a Verizon iPhone announcement prior to new hardware in the summer. It just doesn't make sense to lure folks in right now and then flip the finger at them with a better phone way before any of them would be eligible for any kind of upgrade. Or worse, announce that ATT gets one more year of exclusive rights to the latest and greatest but they are stuck with the older stuff (like the 3GS). PR nightmare in the making

IF Jobs is there, it might may be to announce that yes there will be a phone in the summer. Or it could have to do with a native CDMA iPad.

As for the whole snubbing ATT talk, they knew one day they wouldn't be the only game. So their feelings shouldn't be too hurt given the four years they got out of the deal.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think Gruber sums up my take on this very nicely.

Gruber does sum it up nicely. The iPhone is now on n+1 carriers.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Are you serious? There were entire threads dedicated to flame wars between AT&T and Verizon proponents where this was mentioned ad nauseam. In most cases the people on both sides were Apple fans. Certainly there were many that defended AT&T only because they were Apple's partner, but to pretend every Apple fan blinded themselves to AT&T's faults is being dishonest.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,945member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

About as predictably as trollboys such as you.

Quote:

Thank you for making my point. Now go back under the bridge until more troll bait is laid out for you.