Apple's iPhone 4 coming to Verizon on Feb. 10 for $199

Comments

• Reply 61 of 254
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It is a bit confusing though, or potentially so.

All the stupids will buy the new Verizon iPhone without thinking of the relatively imminent release of iPhone 5. Perhaps Verizon has already worked out a deal with Apple where they will offer a great deal on an upgrade when that happens.

I'm also a bit surprised they didn't name it something else, like "iPhone 4v" or something. It seems odd to have two products with the same name that aren't actually the same thing and don't even operate if you buy the wrong one for your network.

that is as dumb as a silent thing. The phone is the same. The sim is different. If this was a non-American release ( iPhone 4 released on Chinese network) you wouldnt be the least surprised that it wasnt called anything except IP4.

And who cares if people buy now and dont get the IP5 until next year, or whenever.

I am a fanboy with a 3GS as I *had* to upgrade this time last year, my first gen was bust. I missed the IP4 but will now get the IP5. And not on release, but a month later. This is the way that phones and contracts work. With an 18 month contract you *cant* get the latest and greatest on release - because they are yearly. I learned to live with it.
  • Reply 62 of 254
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Speaking of which, DED should have wrote that article

On his blog though he pretends he was still correct.

You should not even mention Roughly Drafted Magazine, the way you were thoroughly humiliated yesterday, your total loss of cool, anger out of control, and finally being just ignored by every member there, is still on-line for the whole www to read. Still you brag about it! Should the whole world come to read your humiliation?
  • Reply 63 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I guess this will be the new mantra now that iPhone on Verizon has happened...

"Will AT&T get iP5 first?"

or, another mantra...

"Will iP5 come out in June... what will happen to all of the iP4 Verizon customers?"

Yes the idiocy never stops.
  • Reply 64 of 254
    Could a person use Google Voice or Talkatone or some other VOIP app and abandon the voice connection all together?

- Jasen.
  • Reply 65 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

Is the phone pure CDMA? With regards to roaming, if I head up to Canada for the week end or to Europe, will I be without network coverage?

When I had a CDMA phone (I'm from Canada) it worked in every province I've ever been in, ftr.
  • Reply 66 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unless Apple plans on changing release cycles, Verizon gets the iPhone 4 for four months by the standard reasoning. Waste of time for anyone who wants one; iPhone 5 would come out in the summer.

Ah, we just got a "We don't comment on [the refresh cycle]" from Tim Cook, so what I said above is probably what's going to happen.

MAYBE they don't plan to change release cycles AND MAYBE Apple already has a CDMA iPhone 5 in development alongside the iPhone 5 for the ATT network.

The truth is we don't know what's going to happen until the next announcement.
  • Reply 67 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

No international coverage (this also results in less demand for selling your used iPhone)

Verizon iphone4 FAQ:

Quote:

Can I use my iPhone 4 while traveling abroad?

Yes, customers can use iPhone for voice and text in over 40 countries with data service in over 20 countries. For service availability and rate information, visit International Roaming Rates and Coverage. When travelling outside of these 40 destinations, the Global Travel program is the perfect short-term solution for the occasional or infrequent global traveler who needs to stay in touch when travelling internationally.

So, there's *limited* access; it's not like Verizon's BlackBerry Storm, which supported both CDMA and GSM.
  • Reply 68 of 254
    More than likely a newer A4, speed bump, more RAM etc. An iPhone 5 is too soon I reckon!

So same design for a while yet
  • Reply 69 of 254
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

Yes, it does make sense, to any existing Verizon subscriber who likes the iPhone 4 and who has been waiting to get it and who has no reason to think that the next iPhone will have newer features that they will want and that will cause them to wish that they had waited.

At this point I would wait. Shipping will take ages and I think there is a high probability that the iPhone 5 will be universal (CDMA+GSM) given the fact, that Apple always tries to unify their products. Also do you remember the newly designed metal bands (4 gaps instead of 3).

LTE would be nice for the iPhone 5, but i wouldn't count on it, especially after the remark that those first gen LTE Cell receivers are large...
  • Reply 70 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I consider the 5 device Mobile Hotspot to be the best news... apparently, AppleInsider thinks otherwise.

"iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless will also include new Personal Hotspot capabilities allowing customers to use iPhone 4 to connect up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices."

Did I miss the part where it says this is at no extra charge?
  • Reply 71 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

MAYBE they don't plan to change release cycles AND MAYBE Apple already has a CDMA iPhone 5 in development alongside the iPhone 5 for the ATT network.

The truth is we don't know what's going to happen until the next announcement.

Why not make it one device? I'm just confused at giving CDMA users four months to buy a phone that will be outdated in July.
  • Reply 72 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Yes. Ridiculous, isn't it?

that's.....absurd!

Watching downloading new software on my computer through mobile hot spot when all of a sudden it just dies and I get a call... will the connection automatically resume at least?
  • Reply 73 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I consider the 5 device Mobile Hotspot to be the best news... apparently, AppleInsider thinks otherwise.

Just make sure you don't receive a voice call....your Hotspot will terminate.
  • Reply 74 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

3) You ignore that people buy stuff year round without concern of when it will be updated.

The only time that matters is when the phone is actually announced, as we see from the sales figures. Otherwise people buy the only phone they know about.
  • Reply 75 of 254
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pioneer01 View Post

More than likely a newer A4, speed bump, more RAM etc. An iPhone 5 is too soon I reckon!

So same design for a while yet

Don't forget dual core A4.

iOS is made for dual core (remember GCD, etc...)

edit: they will call it iPhone 5 though even if it looks the same from the outside
  • Reply 76 of 254
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

well, in that case it's either means that iPhone 5 will be released in the summer for both AT&T and Verizon and will anger the new Verizon iPhone 4 customers or

the iPhone 5 will be released for both AT&T and Verizon next Feb (2012) and will anger(?) or disappoint everyone else who's waiting for the next model.

Doesn't make sense...

They've done it with other international carrier that come on board midstream. V is a unique situation, but not that unique.
  • Reply 77 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

I suppose this means it has a sim card slot for traveling abroad to use GSM....this is great news!

No, it just means that Verizon has roaming agreements with CDMA networks which are compatible with the Verizon iPhone 4 in 40 countries.
  • Reply 78 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Jun 2007 iPhone

Jul 2008 iPhone 3G

Jun 2009 iPhone 3G S

Jun 2010 iPhone 4

Feb 2011 iPhone 4 on Verizon

Jun 2011 iPhone 4 S

Jun 2012 iPhone 5

++

Even though I see everyone claim iPhone 5 in Summer 2011, your timeline appears much more likely. A speed bumped iPhone 4 will keep up with this year's latest Androids while giving Apple the development time needed to do a significant upgrade next year.
  • Reply 79 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

Don't forget dual core A4.

iOS is made for dual core (remember GCD, etc...)

Grand Central Dispatch is for OS X, not iOS...
  • Reply 80 of 254
    I think this only applies to being on the Verizon Network......for example, you could be on your Wi-Fi at home and be downloading data while talking at the same time.....the limitation is Verizon's Network, not the iPhone.....