'Holiday hat trick' of 16M iPhone, 6M iPad, 4.2M Mac sales expected from Apple

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With Apple's quarterly earnings report for the 2010 holidays less than a week away, one Wall Street analyst believes Apple will sell a record 16 million iPhones, 6 million iPads, and 4.2 million Macs.

Analyst Mike Abramsky with RBC Capital Markets said on Wednesday that he sees Apple's iPhone sales over the holidays increasing 84 percent year over year. At 16 million, that would well exceed the previous record of 14.1 million iPhones sold in the Sept. 2010 quarter, and put the company on its way toward a "holiday hat trick" of personal bests.

And Apple looks poised to have an even better fiscal year in the rest of 2011, with Monday's announcement that a CDMA variant of the iPhone is coming to Verizon on Feb. 10. He sees the iPhone accounting for 50 percent of all smartphone sales on Verizon in calendar year 2011, with a third of current Verizon smartphone owners upgrading to the iPhone.

In calendar year 2011, Abramsky expects Apple to sell a total of 70 million iPhones, which would account for 19 percent of the global smartphone market. That would help Apple achieve $90.8 billion in revenue in its fiscal year 2011, with $20 earnings per share, he said.

He has also called for Apple to sell 6 million iPads and 4.2 million Macs in the holiday quarter, which concluded in December. Apple notebook sales are projected to be bolstered by the popular new MacBook Air.

Both the projected Mac and iPad sales would be new records for those product categories, as Apple achieved sales of 3.89 million Macs and 4.19 million iPads last quarter. In particular, he referred to the iPad as a "monster holiday hit."

Finally, Abramsky also sees Apple selling a total of 18.7 million iPods in the quarter. RBC Capital Markets has increased its 12-month price target for AAPL stock to $395, up from a previous prediction of $365.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Finally, Abramsky also sees Apple selling a total of 18.7 million iPods in the quarter. RBC Capital Markets has increased its 12-month price target for AAPL stock to $395, up from a previous prediction of $365.

A projection of 18.7 million iPods is an afterthought.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

A projection of 18.7 million iPods is an afterthought.

Wow...kinda puts Apple's growth in the last 3 years into perspective...
  • Reply 4 of 27
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    It's all just a rounding error...

And they're no good for business because they don't have a keyboard...

But please won't you let us use the name App Store too? Pleeease?

AAPL 450 by end '11.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

AAPL 450 by end '11.

I'll be happy with that ending number
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

That might not be the correct spelling.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

AAPL 450 by end '11.

lol go Ballmer!
  • Reply 7 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The sales of actual Macs must be going through the roof. I meet people everyday that are relatively new to the Mac and the story is invariably the same. Started with an iPod or iPhone ... tested the water with an iMac. Became hooked and bought several more Macs for the rest of the family.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    What about the AppleTV?
  • Reply 9 of 27
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

What about the AppleTV?

@$99/ea there's not enough sales volume from hardware yet, but stay tuned for content rights and distribution to get sorted out.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

@$99/ea there's not enough sales volume from hardware yet, but stay tuned for content rights and distribution to get sorted out.

How about the iTunes revenue?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Apple does not consider the iTunes Store to be a PNL center.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Apple does not consider the App Store to be a PNL center.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The sales of actual Macs must be going through the roof. I meet people everyday that are relatively new to the Mac and the story is invariably the same. Started with an iPod or iPhone ... tested the water with an iMac. Became hooked and bought several more Macs for the rest of the family.

great points, i agree, there is much more traffic at best buy, my friend who used MS exclusively for her business has dumped ALL her pc's and replaced with macs, mba, mbp, and wants to roll out ipads for her staff. her comment "should have done this long ago"
  • Reply 14 of 27
    As soon as they release the iPad 2, they can count on one more sale...
  • Reply 15 of 27
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Thats somewhat conservative (iPad is where some analysts guessed it would be last Q).I am going for

18M iPhone

8M iPad

20M iPod (12 M iPod touch)

4.2M macs
  • Reply 16 of 27
    So, where's our Andy Zaky earnings call?
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

great points, i agree, there is much more traffic at best buy, my friend who used MS exclusively for her business has dumped ALL her pc's and replaced with macs, mba, mbp, and wants to roll out ipads for her staff. her comment "should have done this long ago"

In 2002, I dumped my dual-boot Linux/Wintel box for an iBook. In doing so, I eliminated 98% of my system administration load.

Best computing decision in my life.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The only thing I question is their ability to build enough iPads to meet the projected numbers.

I have to concur with others that buying a Mac has been one of my best moves ever. With app store for Mac things will be even better. I like wise concur with the idea that iPad2 will generate another sale. Well as long as Apple doesn't drag it's feet with iPad2 technology.

These great numbers are a reward for a lot of hard work put into hardware and software over the years. Mac OS/X is now pretty solid, iOS is getting there and the recent hardware releases are uniformly excellent.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

In 2002, I dumped my dual-boot Linux/Wintel box for an iBook. In doing so, I eliminated 98% of my system administration load.

I was 100% Linux before buying my MBP. While Linux is much better than Windows the constant updates and fixes eventually drove me away for my primary user machine. The Mac is just far more stable.

Quote:

Best computing decision in my life.

Yep. By far.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    There is a whole lot of other people that will eventually convert. But when they do, they will do it hard. But they will be happier.

Example: I know a friend (okay a relative) that had always used PCs. After suffering thru all the viruses and slow loads, she finally got an iPad.

Well only a couple months later, she had a tough decision to make. Make a payment on her car, or buy a protective cover for her iPad?

She is now looking for rides to get to work. BUT, she still Loves her iPad.

Decisions, Decisions