Can either AT&T or Verizon iPhone use wifi only?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Time to start thinking seriously about getting an iPhone. Problem is that most of my time is spent at a home in Vermont that has no cell phone access at all (no company services the area). But, we do at our house have internet wifi. Can either the AT&T iPhone, or the now Verizon iPhone, be used at times exclusively through a wifi internet connection? (The other half of the year I am in CT where cell phone coverage is very good).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    yes, both can.

They can access the internet via WiFi only ... but they won't work as cell phones that way

Skype would work though.

You'd have to pay an un-subsidized price though, if you don't want a cellular contract.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Not sure why you'd waste money on an iPhone when an iPod touch would be identical without a plan of any sort.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not sure why you'd waste money on an iPhone when an iPod touch would be identical without a plan of any sort.

Perhaps because the other half of the year he's in CT with good cellular coverage???

Practice will improve your reading comprehension skills.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Perhaps because the other half of the year he's in CT with good cellular coverage???

Practice will improve your reading comprehension skills.

I was ignoring the elephant in the room of wasting money on a two year contract for which only one year of use would be had.

Honestly.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I was ignoring the elephant in the room of wasting money on a two year contract for which only one year of use would be had.

Honestly.

These are the points I am debating, but perhaps I should add this: I would like to replace the junker pay-as-you-go phone that I use now, and I am willing to jump into the iPhone monthly charge arena, but really only if I can come up with a solution that allows me to ditch the monthly bills on my landline in VT. I was hoping that the iPhone could make and receive calls via wifi when I am up there. And, to be more specific, I am up there about one-third of the year, not really one half.

Perhaps I need to go the Ooma route up there?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Give ATT a call and see if they would let you have a microcell unit.

It plugs into your home internet connection and sets up it's own little cellular bubble ... basically allows your cell phone to work as normal, but it uses a VoIP connection through the microcell. (more or less)

I think they normally charge for it, but tell them your situation, maybe they'll waive the fee. (I'm pretty sure Verizon offers the same type of set-up, but not 100% certain.)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Give ATT a call and see if they would let you have a microcell unit.

It plugs into your home internet connection and sets up it's own little cellular bubble ... basically allows your cell phone to work as normal, but it uses a VoIP connection through the microcell. (more or less)

I think they normally charge for it, but tell them your situation, maybe they'll waive the fee. (I'm pretty sure Verizon offers the same type of set-up, but not 100% certain.)

Verizon offers the same. The new unit creates a 3g spot.