MBP shuts down/won't boot up

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all, I've been going through the threads to see if any information here could fix the problem I'm having. Basically, my MBP won't boot up most of the time, when it does boot, it will shut down with the slightest work load, there is no pattern to it, other than it shuts down before I can get anything done. It does this plugged/unplugged and with or w/out the battery. Below are the steps I've taken to fix it...to no avail. So please, any tips are much appreciated as my apple care is expired. I'm running Leopard 10.5.?

-new logic board (apple care)

-new battery x2 (apple care)

-SMC reset (many times)

-PRAM reset (many times)

-boot in safe mode (it never fully boots in safe mode, it shuts down after a few minutes of trying to boot)

-boot in single user mode, perform fsck

-physically remove/reset memory

-archive and install OS X with discs that came with machine, this seemed to fix the problem but I can't be sure because I didn't have the machine on long before I reinstalled the Leopard upgrade. I thought I was in the clear after this but the next morning the problem persisted while transferring files from my previous profile.

For each complete boot up the machine has, it has at least 10 failed boots, most don't attempts don't even make it to the start up tone, some fail shortly there after but before full boot.

Is it a heat problem? The fans appear to work fine, plus the machine is never on long to get hot, but could this be a problem of a heat shut down feature? I don't even know if there is such a thing. Could it be a problem with a file on my machine, ie, virus?? Please help, at this point I'm hoping I overlooked something easy and affective. I'm not great with computers by any means, but I can follow instructions well, so any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Maybe it's something very lo-tech: maybe it's a loose contact in the juice train?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    You mention AppleCare ... Based on what you've put here, I'd expect them to replace it (no more fixing, it's replacement time.)
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

You mention AppleCare ... Based on what you've put here, I'd expect them to replace it (no more fixing, it's replacement time.)

Apple Care expired a while ago, I've been procrastinating on the fix and using a different machine.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    It sounds like a hardware problem to me.

What happens when you boot off a cd? Does it run forever or does it shut down. If it shuts down that would be a pretty clear indication that the issue is hardware.

What happens if you boot up your MBP in Target Disk Mode and attach it to another Mac via FireWire? If you are able to mount your MBP on the other Mac you might be in a good position to check for file issues.

My guess would be that the machine is either overheating or there is a temperature gauge somewhere that THINKS it is over heating.

You could also try installing Temperature Monitor:

http://www.bresink.de/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

To see if any temperatures are out of whack.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllInOne View Post

It sounds like a hardware problem to me.

What happens when you boot off a cd? Does it run forever or does it shut down. If it shuts down that would be a pretty clear indication that the issue is hardware.

What happens if you boot up your MBP in Target Disk Mode and attach it to another Mac via FireWire? If you are able to mount your MBP on the other Mac you might be in a good position to check for file issues.

My guess would be that the machine is either overheating or there is a temperature gauge somewhere that THINKS it is over heating.

You could also try installing Temperature Monitor:

http://www.bresink.de/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

To see if any temperatures are out of whack.

Hope this helps.

The machine does shut down even when booted off the CD. I have not yet booted in Target Disk Mode as I don't have the resources (another machine) but I will definitely look into this.

If there is a temp gauge that is causing the shut down even when it's not hot, how/where can I find the temp gauge? Is it a hardware or software item? I'll try to download the Temp Monitor, if the machine will stay on long enough.

Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Albert_John View Post

Hi,

This is a hardware issue. One of the following components of the hardware maybe damaged:

- If a beep sound appears continuously on starting your system, than the Ram is damaged.

- If the system keeps restarting after loading the operating than following maybe the reasons.

1. Overheating

2. Issue with the processor

3. Issue with ICs (integrated circuits)

- Hard drive problem, but it will provide IDE control error on boot prompt.

Don?t worry, if the Apple Warranty has been expired. It would be better to consult an ?Apple technical support service?. They will solve this hardware issue immediately.

You say "consult and apple technical support service." Does this mean contact and pay out of pocket for apple care, or go through a private provider experienced with apples? Do you have a suggestion for who I should go to for such service?