diet and exercise!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'll be the first to admit it... I'm overweight. I don't like it, either.

So these days I'm trying to do something about it, but there's a huge amount of room for improvement so I thought I'd start an open topic for all things involving diet, exercise, weight loss, weight gain, fitness, health in general.. etc.

Now, I'm not obese or anything, but I'm definitely not thin, I'm not that muscular, I'm not really superstrong or anything, and I just don't have a very attractive body. But, I am working to change that?cutting really bad things out of my diet, eating more foods and vegetables, reminding myself not to go overboard on things (as much as possible), I do a lot of walking and exercise.. and most importantly I've set goals for myself. Whether or not they're really attainable is up to me, though I have faith in myself.

The hard part right now is backing my efforts. I don't have a car so I can't get to/from a gym or health club, or go to the grcoery store to buy healthy foods when I need them, and I'm far too far away to walk anywhere. I don't have a decent bike, either, and even then I feel weird biking around, probably the same weird I'm afraid I'd feel at a gym or health club. But since I can't get healthy food when I want/need it, I find myself eating things I shouldn't. Anyway, I'm saving up for all sorts of stuff, and some exercise equipment is part of it. I'm thinking I'll get an elliptical sometime (I'm sure I'll have to spend $200-400 just to get a decent one.. but it's an investment, and that's like one of my biweekly paychecks after tax), for aerobic exercise, a set of free weights (not real sure on prices or what I'll get yet) for anaerobic exercise, or maybe just one of those exercise machines, I'm surprised at how inexpensive they are. At one point I wanted a treadmill but after looking at the going prices for decent ones, the desire quickly faded away. And I'm not gimmicky enough to consider spending my hard-earned money on stuff like those Total Gym things, or even a Bowflex.. besides, for anaerobic exercise I've heard that free weights are the best. They are far more cost-effective, that much I know. But I digress, I'm more interested in losing mass before gaining it.

Anyway, I have trouble counting calories, and I've tried some odd diets with healthy but bad-tasting (or tasteless) foods, and I have a problem with that. I ordered a couple of books about weight loss and nutrition, I forget their names, but I had heard about them a few different places. And I am still looking for any good, livable, and healthy dietary ideas. Also, I would love to hear any inspirational stories or hints or tips or recommendations for exercise equipment or what methods I should use or if anyone else is on a similar journey to bettering their health. I really just know almost nothing about fitness/health, to be frank. I just know I want to do something! I don't want to become a champion bodybuilder overnight (not that I wouldn't mind.. ), I just want to slim down and develop a pleasant body tone, first.

So, just tell me anything.

For instance, I just learned today that it's a better idea to do cardio in the morning, to get your metabolism up, and then weight-training later in the day once you've recovered your energy some, if you're doing both in one day. That makes a lot of sense.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Oh yeah. And I have a lot of questions about health clubs, memberships, gyms, that kind of thing.

How many folks here go? Where should I go? What should I pay, do they offer student discounts you think? What are the hints and tips for all of that? When should I go? Should I get a personal trainer? Do they do mandatory physicals or anything embarrassing like that, when you sign up? What do you wear? Do most people take showers there? Should I go with a friend? What should I look out for? Any horror stories?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i've found the only way i'll ever really excercise is if it's a competitve sport. i sign up for a bunch of different sports with friends depending on the time of year.

it's fun enough it doesn't feel like excercise, and you go 'cause it's with friends.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Sport is the way to go,I like to surf,it's easy to get motivated,when there are no waves,I go running and lift weights,very hard to get motivated.

As far as diet is concerned,you have to have a lot of healthy food around at all times,it's hard because most Americans have terrible diets,and it's thought to be uncool to eat healthy food.If you eat healthy food most of the time you will be OK.

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: Rick1138 ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 40
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>i've found the only way i'll ever really excercise is if it's a competitve sport. i sign up for a bunch of different sports with friends depending on the time of year.

it's fun enough it doesn't feel like excercise, and you go 'cause it's with friends.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, it's hard to do that when you don't have many sporty/jock friends, and especially hard when you aren't a big sports fiend or a jock yourself... I'm not in high school any more, either, so it's not that easy to get into competitive sports.

I'm really determined to improve myself though, I just need some advice and tips and answers, from some knowledgeable people, so I can be on my way with this.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    You've got to look around,I was never much of an athlete when I was in high school,but I've become half way decent in my old age.I can surf circles around most of the lifeguards here,even though many of them are better swimmers than I am,they just aren't crazy enough.Another thing to consider is taking dance lessons,although apparently from info in another thread most of the posters here feel that dance is effeminate,but I guarentee that there will be girls there-hot ones too,and dancers are incredible in bed.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    You know what when I was at school I hated sport I couldnt stand anything to do with fitness, I wasnt too fat but I was overweight. In my second last year of school (1 yr ago) I took up running and am now taking it quite seriously.. I lost so much weight and now feel much better for doing it. When I started running I found it so hard to keep it up but as I progressed and saw improvement and saw that as my encouragement to run!

I looked at joining a gym but wasnt really interested as it was costly and I wasnt to sure if I would get sick of it (Or should I say get lazy) and stop going! Frankly I would avoid a gym for a little while.

Here are my tips (I am no expert but I think these little tips help!)

The best workout is just getting up in the morning and going for a GOOD walk! Worry about weights and tyhings when you have lost weight! it is really important to go in the morning before you have eaten as you will burn Fat Calories., the one thing we need to burn! Diet is important I cut down on Junk food and stoped eating lots of chocolate and take away..Eaten a good breakfast(after your walk) and a healthy luch folowed by a dinner is good! Try to make your dinner lower in carbo style food (Like potato and bread etc)

I now train 6 days a week with my Coach along with other brilliant runners (not that I am...yet!) and am hoping to run at the National soon!

Hope that lil bit of info has helped

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: trevorM ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 40
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Hm, I was quite out of shape for several years until a friend gave me motivation to get into shape... it sure helped, and I am somewhat thin and somewhat muscular... Before I was 5'8" and 150pds, now I am 5'8" and 140pds - lost fat, gained muscle.

My suggestions to you - don't walk, jog, you'll burn more calories that way and your heart will get better due to the stress. As for dieting, I never really dieted, I just ate as I always did, it was more of an excersize thing for me. But it is a good idea to stay off the junk food, after a while you get used to not eating junk food and you get used to excersizing so it does not become annoying.

Don't get those home gyms, there is a high chance you will use it for the first week and never again... though a treadmill can be nifty (I use mine occasionally). I found out that, for me, gaining muscle reduced my fat content, so do try and work out somehwere... I started by buying a few dumbells from the sports store and doing simple upper body excersizes with them. Within a month or two, I was way more in shape than I was (with some occasional jogging).

This summer I am going to a gym every day and work out for 2-3 hours a day, and I feel great about it. It also helps a LOT if you have a buddy with you - offers some motivation and competition.

And really, really try and push yourself to the limit - you will not get stronger or better (quickly anyway) if you do not jog to the last sweat, or lift weights until you cannot lift your arms/legs anymore.

And if you do want some home equipment, stay away from those lame ones that do not have any weights, they get boring fast (I would get a bowflex actually, or something with weights).

Anyways, whatever you do, good luck!
  • Reply 8 of 40
    I am lucky in that I am one of those people with a rapid metabolism who can eat lots and stay slim but I choose not to overeat. I steer well clear of junkfoods, packaged, ultra-processed and chemicalized foods with artifical additives, colors and garbage....as in all those things the human body was not designed to deal with.

I love exercise! That includes hiking, biking, rollerblading, swimming and dancing, and I also run at least 40 miles a week, preferably up the mountain trails or on the beach.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    As a competitive cyclist and a Marine officer, physical fitness is a pretty key part of my life. The type of training I do is probably overkill for you, but I can go over some good basics...

First and foremost, the single most important thing you can do is to start drinking more water. It's cheap, and quite readily available. Water makes up about 60% of your body, and it is also the primary constituent of blood... therefore, proper hydration assists your body in transporting oxygen, nutrients, and hormones to the cells that need them. It's also pretty essential for digestion, absorption and utilization of nutrients. In other words, you can spend over a hundred dollars a month on supplements, but they won't do you any good if you're not staying properly hydrated. Your body's temperature is also affected by how much water you drink. The more you drink, the cooler you stay, and that's important during the summer especially.

Some fun facts: For every 2.2 pounds of body weight you lose due to fluid loss, your body temperature will increase by about .3 degrees Celsius. In other words, losing about 2-3% of your body weight to fluid loss decreases your performance by roughly 10%, and losing more can result in heat stroke. So drink often.. try and intake 2-3 litres per day.

eating healthy is a given, and you shouldn't have to be told what constitutes a healthy meal. It doesn't mean you have to eat that way ever waking minute for the rest of your life, but you need to discipline yourself. I usually have one or two meals a week that I call "cheating meals", where I eat what I want. The rest of the week, I'm on a proper diet. And it isn't that bad, in fact, I really prefer not to deviate from it too much. Again, you know what you have to do here.

In terms of exercise... if you're looking to drop weight quick, try getting up and doing an aerobic activity in the morning before you eat anything. This will help burn away that fat. I'd suggest running or riding you bike for about a half an hour. If you're running, and you're not used to it, try taking shorter strides - that will put less stress on your muscles that aren't used to this kind of workout. You can also get on your bike for 30 minutes as well, but make sure you spend most of that time actually pedalling, it doesn't count if you're just coasting.

For anaerobic activity, weight lifting is probably the most common. Remember, in the weight room, it isn't about how much you're lifting, it is all about form. Nobody there is in competition with other people, and nobody is going to look down at you if you can only benchpress the bar with no weights. Most people at gyms are pretty helpful, and I've never encountered anyone in a gym that wasn't helpful and nice. Just like anything, it's kind of weird to go there for the first time. I suggest you try and find someone that can show you proper form for the exercises you want to do, because without proper form, the exercises aren't doing you any good, and you risk injury as well.

For just starting out in the gym, I'd recommend following a routine that goes like this for your first 6 - 8 weeks...

Go Monday/Wednesday/Friday, and don't forget to stretch first Start by doing a chest press with free weights. shoot for 2 - 3 sets, aiming for 12 - 20 reps per set. Then do the same with a shoulder press with free weights. Then you might want to try some pull downs, and work your triceps as well. Maybe some curls or something. move down to your lower body... with a leg press, leg curls, etceteras. Just some suggestions, but really, you should talk to someone about your goals and work out a schedule for *you*.

Finally, I cannot recommend some form of cross training enough. And by cross training, for me at least, that means an activity that doesn't involve the bicycle. My cross training usually starts in the winter... swimming usually. But for you, you may wish to consider doing a sport you find fun just to keep you motivated and focused. Try a self defense class... nothing says fun like a good hour and a half of Aikido ;-)

But really, it's all about specifically what your goals are. Being a competitive cyclist, I want to be able to rider harder, longer, and faster. My entire training schedule is built around this. In the Marines, it's, admittedly, about trying to get a perfect on your PFT... but also, just in general, it's about keeping exceptional physical fitness levels. So think about what exactly it is that you want, post them here and we can talk more, or find someone at a gym (I go to the Y personally) that can help you. It's all about motivation and dedication. So do you just want to drop the extra weight, or do you want to take it farther than that? Be specific now
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Wow!! :eek: You guys are so smart! I can't believe I didn't know all of this already (I'm almost embarrassed to say)..

Thank you all for your replies and good information. I think I should read through all of it a few more times and then I'll pepper you with some more questions. Fellowship, trevor, chych, Jack... all REALLY great info. I must absorb it.

I was afraid that I would just embarrass myself by asking these questions here, not really knowing if anyone was "into" this kind of thing enough to.. know. I was wrong, though, and for once that's a good thing.

Just wow.. thank you for all of this advice and guidance, it's especially motivating knowing that there are people out there like all of you. I never thought AI was this cool! I just wish I knew more people like you guys in real life, so you could really show me all of this stuff I don't know. But for the meantime, I think the approach I am going to take is (a) finishing the "clean up" of my dietary habits that I started, and (b) running/jogging, in the morning (burning fat calories rather than food calories I've just eaten makes a lot of sense). Then after my body has adjusted to that I think I'll join a local 24 hour fitness, that place looks good to me.. it'll probably take at least that long to find somebody who will go with me, because I'm too shy to go alone.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Some quickies: ADD things to your life. It's very hard for people to NOT do something. That's why diets that tell you to not eat certain things usually don't work.

Exercise more, eat more fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans, etc. If you have plenty of good, low-calorie stuff to eat, you'll be less likely to eat bad stuff. But don't tell yourself "I've got to stop eating X and Y." It just usually doesn't work.

And don't think of it as temporary. Only do things that you're ready to do for the rest of your life. I'm guessing you're not ready to eat only grapefruits for the rest of your life. :eek:

[quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:

<strong>Go Monday/Wednesday/Friday, and don't forget to stretch first </strong><hr></blockquote>Hey now, warm up first, don't stretch! Stretch after.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    thoth2thoth2 Posts: 277member
    Congratulations on taking the first step! My story is a bit more for motivation than for advice, as M3D JACK beat me to the cyclist's training regime.

I was always a bit soft, but my second year of law school, I went from 5'10" 175 to 225lbs. I got tired walking up the stairs to the law review office. My school had an NCAA club cycling team and I joined (I raced as a junior when I was in HS). By putting my head down and "just do(ing) it" I immediately lost loads of weight. You can't believe how quickly the stuff comes off you when you are trying to climb up to the Blue Ridge Parkway at 225lbs! The competition and friendship of my team mates became addictive. For this reason, I recommend sport rather than a gym. I've tried the gym several times, and the only time I ever got results was with a friend. Even then, the results weren't as good because I didn't have a goal like a race to train for. Anyway, at the end of the season I was down to 170lbs and had won the season championships in my category (more like a perfect attendance prize in my case). Since then (2years total), I've gotten down to 157 (10 more to go) and have gotten several top 10 and a few top 5's in USCF races. You'll find that after exercising for a period of time, say 3 months, you'll feel terrible if you don't exercise. It's like an addiction. Also, you have a lot more leeway with your diet when you are burning so many extra calories.

My advice, swallow hard and ignore the embarrassment of just starting. You'll show them later. Also, don't worry right away about wholesale changes in your diet. These are important, but in the short run its more important to get moving for a couple of reasons. First, overweight people who exercise are less likely to have health problems than those who don't, regardless of diet (I have read this, but I am not a doctor). Second, you need a foundation upon which to built the rest of your habits. Once you've established the strong habit of training, then its time to add other good habits. Its very very important to have a solid foundation of exercise before you change your diet, otherwise you'll quit b/c it will just be too hard to keep them all up at once. Trust me on this one.

I did this on the James diet - told to me by a friend of my named James - "Eat less, move more."

Slowly, but surely, you'll build a new lifestyle that you'll be able to keep up, and actually want to follow.

If you're in college, see if your school has a cycling team. The members will probably adopt you and help you out, as mine did for me. Or, find a club in your area that has lots of levels of riders. There should be someone who will help you out. Otherwise, just start going to the gym and meet some regulars. That'll help make you stick.

Thoth

PS: Weight lifting is aerobic, usually, not anaerobic, just at a lower intensity that the other aerobic exercises you've mentioned. Sitting around at your computer you are respirating aerobically. A very high heart rate (where your body's ability to deliver o2 to working muscles is outpaced by your work volume) produces anaerobic metabolism and you probably won't get this just by lifting weights.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>

Hey now, warm up first, don't stretch! Stretch after. </strong><hr></blockquote>

It's good to stretch before and after you lift weights, as well as some sort of aerobic activity to warm up. Think about it, do you want to be lifting with tight muscles? Stretching reduces the risk of injury, so stretch before and after you lift.

Also, you may want to incorproate an ab circuit into your workout. Situps or crunches work well. Personally, when I get up in the mornings I do about 50 jumping jacks to get the blood going, then I do three sets of pushups, situps, and pullups.

Finally, a note on overtraining and recovery You don't want to hit the gym every day... or rather, you don't want to work the same muscle groups every day. for instance, if I go in today and spend two hours on my upper body, I don't want to be repeating that the following day. Your muscles need some time to recover and rebuild themselves. When you list, you're tearing muscle tissue... and when the muscles repair those tears, the muscle essentially builds itself up stronger. This is precisely why you get stronger over time, because the muscle repairs itself in an effort to prevent that damage in the future. But you don't want to overtrain, as that results in injury, and long term recovery. Take it easy initially. And after you workout or exercise, start drinking immediately to replace the fluids that you have lost.

Keep in mind this quote: "Remember that rest is a key part of any training program and may be the toughest training choice you'll have to make."

good luck, and I'm sure everyone in this thread would be more than happy to continue advising you or answering questions
  • Reply 14 of 40
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Can some of you fat people hook me up with a few pounds? Forget losin weight, I can't gain it!
  • Reply 15 of 40
    wyntirwyntir Posts: 88member
    Nifty thread. I too am a big guy, weight-wise (~115 kilos, although I am close enough to two meters as for the difference not to matter so I guess that's a little bit of an excuse). I tried jogging every morning for a few days last year, but I didn't stick with it. Maybe I'll start again tomorrow. Definitely need to trim down though.

I am a firm believer that any fitness equipment is wasted money. If you have a bike and a road and the inclination, that's all you need. Neh? My problem is inclination.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Leave Nebraska this second and go hike the Continental Divide Trail.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    macfenianmacfenian Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>i've found the only way i'll ever really excercise is if it's a competitve sport. i sign up for a bunch of different sports with friends depending on the time of year.

it's fun enough it doesn't feel like excercise, and you go 'cause it's with friends.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Definitely my preference as well. Problem is, we're a very disorganized bunch so we don't play on a regular basis. We do go to the pub on a regular basis so it does fuk all good.

Overweight yes. Sadly I'm also indisciplined so I doubt it will ever change
  • Reply 18 of 40
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    My advice:

Do an activity you enjoy, that way you're more likely to stick at it.

When using weights, the correct technique is more important than the weight itself. If you find yourself compromising the technique, reduce the weight.

You build muscle after working out, not at the gym itself. Lifting weights only provides the stimuli, by overloading the muscles. Therefore don't work the same muscle groups two days in a row. Immediately after a workout, you're actually weaker than before you started.

Vary your routine. This prevents boredom. When lifting weights, it also prevents your body getting use to things, which would reduce the effectiveness of the exercise.

With more muscle, you'll naturally burn more calories, as its the calories that fuel the muscles.

Exercise is only 50% of the equation, the other 50% is a well balanced diet.

Its been said before, getting fit is 90% determination and 10% perspiration.

Most people have the physical ability to get fitter, its whether they have the mental strength to see it through that really counts.

Finally, don't compare yourself to other people, especially people who have been doing it for years. Everyone is different. Everyone has a different potential. The best you can do is to realise yours.

I hope this advice in some way helps!

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Buy a bicycle and go everywhere on it. Buy a really nice one and nurture it: this should stop you "feeling weird" about biking everywhere. Make 'em jealous of your good taste.

Distances shrink; it's amazing. I commute on mine.

You will also be doing your bit for the welfare of the planet. Buy a bicycle and like me you will be lean and smug.

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: Hassan i-Sabbah ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 40
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I hardly exercise, pig out on 26 ounce porterhouse steaks (with the strips of gummy white fat...I actually suck on those...,) junk foods, candy, you name it. I'm 135 pounds. I love my metabolism during the day, but it also takes me 2 hours just to clock my body down and fall asleep.

I wish I was fat(ter.)