Parts supplier selling purported iPad 2 screen, iPad vibrating motor

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
One parts supplier claims to have already obtained the screen part for Apple's next-generation iPad, while also selling a vibrating motor for the device.

The alleged iPad 2 LCD screen sells for $218.19 from Globaldirectparts.com, as noted by MacRumors, though the part is currently out of stock.

Since the website currently offers replacement screens for the original iPad for $63.35, the higher price of the so-called "iPad 2 screen" could possibly corroborate reports of a higher-resolution display on the second-generation tablet. Apple will reportedly quadruple the number of pixels on the iPad with a 2048x1536 resolution when it launches a new model, expected this spring.

On Sunday, AppleInsider exclusively reported that a source familiar with Apple's graphics plans has indicated that Apple could upgrade the next generation of the iPad and iPhone to dual faster graphics cores . The Cupertino, Calif., company is also rumored to be planning an upgrade to the multi-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU for its devices.

Globaldirectparts.com is also selling an "OEM Apple iPad Vibrating Motor" for $9.99. Though no image is available for the part, it is currently listed as "In Stock." Since the original iPad does not have a vibrating motor, the part may be evidence that Apple is working on vibrating alert functionality for the second-generation iPad, though, of course, the part could also be mislabeled or erroneous.

In early January, the supplier posted a video detailing parts that were ostensibly for the "iPhone 5." The video was removed due to a legal request from Apple, but has since been reposted. In actuality, the part was for the soon-to-be-released Verizon CDMA iPhone 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    Women, worldwide, excited.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Now I know what get her for her birthday..
  • Reply 3 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    More than 3x the price of the original iPad display, I guess that’s not bad for 4x the pixels. If this turns out to be on the next iPad I highly doubt it will be on anything but the premium end of this category, which could make business sense if the 64GB WiFi+3G iPad is as popular as I think it is.

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Now I know what get her for her birthday..

You two have set the vibe for this thread.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I could not resist.

Writing about features in the upcoming iPad 2 is a waste of time. (Don't tell Danial Eran Dilger that.)

Steve will announce it (and its features) when he is ready to have us buy it.

And, a vibrator makes more sense than a Light Peak port.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Quote:

I could not resist.

Writing about features in the upcoming iPad 2 is a waste of time.

Steve will announce it (and its features) when he is ready to have us buy it.

And, a vibrator makes more sense than a Light Peak port.

You had to bring LightPeak into it, didn?t you? I suppose now we have to call it a GloryPort.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    An indirect confirmation of the hi-res iPad screen?
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Have there been any rumours as to when the iPad 2 might be announced?

Jan 27 2010 was when the first ipad was announced, but then there was a large lag between announcement and release.

Could they maybe announce early february and release right away?
  • Reply 8 of 44
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    The vibrating motor is for games obviously, not a big deal. But the screen, wow, if it is true I think iPad will see a pretty solid replacement/upgrade numbers.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    winstwinst Posts: 26member
    I still think it is fake. If buy.com sells a same resolution monitor for medical industry for $4,000 (http://www.buy.com/prod/nec-display-...210521022.html) Can Apple really get a similar part for under $300?
  • Reply 10 of 44
    How many millions of those monitors does NEC expect to sell? Apple expects to sell at least 20 million iPads with the screens. If I was a supplier with that kind of reasonable assurance, the price can come WAY down. Just sayin'.

I still find all this dual core graphics processor, dual core Arm, retina display AND cameras AND a motor to be a bit pie-in-the-sky. Next up, 3D without glasses. Why not?

All that being said, the consumer in me really wants all those things (minus the motor and 3D) in the $499 model as unrealistic as that may be.

I'm starting to feel like the ideas people have been having about a premium iPad with the higher resolution could have some credence. Doesn't feel quite right when thinking about Apple's usual approach, but this is all pretty new ground for everyone.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winst View Post

I still think it is fake. If buy.com sells a same resolution monitor for medical industry for $4,000 (http://www.buy.com/prod/nec-display-...210521022.html) Can Apple really get a similar part for under $300?

Resolution is only one of many factors that can affect price.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

More than 3x the price of the original iPad display, I guess that?s not bad for 4x the pixels. If this turns out to be on the next iPad I highly doubt it will be on anything but the premium end of this category, which could make business sense if the 64GB WiFi+3G iPad is as popular as I think it is.

That price is for one. If Apple bought 25 million it would be well under $100.

Quote:

And I would like that vibe to slow down.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winst View Post

That's a cheap medical model. You should see what the good ones cost.

Anyway, those monitors are more than the screen. They are also quite a bit bigger.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That would be based on volume alone. Add in a potential prepay and the price is even less.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

That would be based on volume alone. Add in a potential prepay and the price is even less.

I don?t know how you have come that conclusion. Sure, buying in bulk is cheaper. Sure, prepaying ahead of time is cheaper. But we don?t even know if this site is legit or what the negotiated prices would be, all we know is the basic economics of the position Apple is in with their volume and cash stores.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:

I don?t know how you have come that conclusion. Sure, buying in bulk is cheaper. Sure, prepaying ahead of time is cheaper. But we don?t even know if this site is legit or what the negotiated prices would be, all we know is the basic economics of the position Apple is in with their volume and cash stores.

I did not mean to suggest any price, just that the ability for Apple to prepay is like a publicly-viewable "secret" weapon. Apple, like many other large companies, can bargain substantial discounts for components. Apple's ability to pay up-front takes them to a whole other level which not only allows them better pricing but also shapes supply for their competitors.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Is Apple going to add all these goodies and leapfrog the rest of the tablet industry (if they haven't already)?

Or is Apple going to go incremental, likely putting off our upgrades until v3?

If it's the latter, and these rumors get out there and generate wild expectations, the stock could take a dumper on the days following the actual v2 iPad intro.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I did not mean to suggest any price, just that the ability for Apple to prepay is like a publicly-viewable "secret" weapon. Apple, like many other large companies, can bargain substantial discounts for components. Apple's ability to pay up-front takes them to a whole other level which not only allows them better pricing but also shapes supply for their competitors.

Ah, I see.

It’s now been 2 years since Apple invested $500 million with LG. I have to wonder if it’s more than just guaranteed panel production, but also includes exclusivity of panels for a set timeframe and additional funding for R&D of lower-power panels.
    It was also in 2009 that LG introduced E-IPS technology...
    Quote:

Enhanced IPS / E-IPS (2009) — \tWider aperture for light transmission, enabling the use of lower-power, cheaper backlights. Improves diagonal viewing angle and further reduce response time to 5ms.

I still haven’t heard any word confirming or denying the type of panel used, but this may be how Apple achieves such a long run time on the iPad with IPS and why they decided to go with a phone first before tackling a tablet even though it was the first concept for the OS X rewrite. Makes sense to me, without IPS the iPad would have a huge mark against it in usability.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

Ah, I see.

I think you realize that I am basically just thinking out loud but I have long seen Apple's ability to do huge prepayments for components as one of its most potent weapons. They get better pricing, guaranteed (or, at the least, preferred) supply and likely gain early access to new component products.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

And I would like that vibe to slow down.

Hook a rheostat to it.