Apple's Tim Cook dismisses Android iPad competitors as bizarre, vapor

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
In addressing potential competitors of Apple's iPad, Tim Cook said he has "no concerns" about the the tablets being shown running Microsoft's Windows and Google's Android platform, specifically calling out existing Android offerings as "bizarre" while dismissing future models as vapor.

Cook, who serves as Apple's chief operations officer, first described tablet products running Windows as being "big, heavy, expensive, weak battery life, and need a keyboard or stylus," noting that customers have shown no interest in the products.

A second group of tablets Cook characterized as running a version of Android that "isn't designed for a tablet," adding that Google itself had stated this, and that it wasn't just the opinion of Apple.

Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs made similar comments in the company's previous quarter's conference call, rhetorically asking, "even Google is saying don't use Froyo [the current release of Android OS], and instead to wait to use next years' version. What does it mean when a software maker says not to use their release and you use it anyway?"

Jobs comments appeared to be directed at Samsung's Galaxy Tab and Dell's Streak, two of the more visible Android tablets that became available last year. Cook also echoed Jobs' sentiments on 7 inch tablets from RIM and Android licensees, saying "you wind up having the size of a tablet that?s less than reasonable. Or one that?s not even a real tablet experience. It?s a 'scaled-up smartphone.' That?s a bizarre product in our view."

Apple's "bizarre" is another firm's "odd"

Web developer Sencha made similar observations in its review of the Galaxy Tab as a potential web development target.

While the tablet fits physically between the size of a smartphone and the iPad, the company noted, "One of the oddest aspects of the Galaxy Tab browser is its CSS pixel to device pixel ratio.

"When queried in landscape mode, the Galaxy reports a screen.width of 683px and screen.height of 334px. Since the actual device resolution offers 1024×600, it?s giving us a 1.5× ratio of device to CSS pixels. This is a little bit of an odd choice since there shouldn?t be any reason why it can?t offer a 1:1 device-to-CSS-pixel ratio (or even just match the iPhone/Nexus One convention of a 320 pixel device.width ? which would give it a 1.875 ratio). This makes the Galaxy slightly bigger than a regular phone screen in CSS pixels, but not really big enough to handle what people want to put in a tablet screen."

The firm concluded, "the practical effect of this decision is that the Galaxy Tab is effectively an 'over-sized phone' for the purposes of web content. For example, an iPad-style side-navigation section just won’t fit on the screen. We think it?s probably best to treat it as a phone with big pixels rather than a true tablet."

New Android tablets still vaporware

Cook wrapped up his evaluation of currently shipping Android tablets by saying, "Those are what is shipping today. If you do a side-by-side with an iPad, some enormous percentage are going to pick the iPad. We have no concern there."

As far as the next generation of Android tablets, Cook said, "There?s nothing shipping yet, and they lack performance specs and pricing. Today they?re vapor. However, we?re not sitting still. We have a huge first-mover advantage. And a huge user advantage from iTunes to the App Store. Huge number of apps and an ecosystem. We?re very confident entering into a fight with anyone."

While Cook regularly describes the percentage of the Fortune 100 and Financial Times Europe 100 businesses supporting or evaluating the iPhone and iPad, this quarter he specifically noted companies that were deploying the iPad, a list that included JPMorgan, Wells Fargo, Archer Daniels Midland, and DuPont. Cook also said that over 80% of the Fortune 100 are now deploying or piloting iPad, up from 65% in the previous quarter, and that employee demand for iPad in the corporate environment is strong.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 215
    Really? Vaporware? They just announced their tablets like a week and a half ago.

Three months from now if there is nothing, that's vaporware. Sheesh.

Quote:

Web developer Sencha made similar observations in its review of the Galaxy Tab as a potential web development target.

While the tablet fits physically between the size of a smartphone and the iPad, the company noted, "One of the oddest aspects of the Galaxy Tab browser is its CSS pixel to device pixel ratio.

"When queried in landscape mode, the Galaxy reports a screen.width of 683px and screen.height of 334px. Since the actual device resolution offers 1024×600, it?s giving us a 1.5× ratio of device to CSS pixels. This is a little bit of an odd choice since there shouldn?t be any reason why it can?t offer a 1:1 device-to-CSS-pixel ratio (or even just match the iPhone/Nexus One convention of a 320 pixel device.width ? which would give it a 1.875 ratio). This makes the Galaxy slightly bigger than a regular phone screen in CSS pixels, but not really big enough to handle what people want to put in a tablet screen."

The firm concluded, "the practical effect of this decision is that the Galaxy Tab is effectively an 'over-sized phone' for the purposes of web content. For example, an iPad-style side-navigation section just won?t fit on the screen. We think it?s probably best to treat it as a phone with big pixels rather than a true tablet."

Daniel, this is a news site. Regurgitating old headlines every time Android is mentioned is again, kicking a dead horse.
  • Reply 2 of 215
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    So if 88 of 100 Fortune 100 companies are supporting the iPhone, and 80 the iPad, who are the IT fascists holding up deployment at the other companies?
  • Reply 3 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

So if 88 of 100 Fortune 100 companies are supporting the iPhone, and 80 the iPad, who are the IT fascists holding up deployment at the other companies?

Maybe sprockkets above you?
  • Reply 4 of 215
    There are a lot of companies that hope to capture what Apple has with the iPad.

Tablets like coby and galaxy tab just don't have what it takes to be competition for the iPad.

I would be afraid to by an android tablet seeing that their phone OS is fragmented because of manufacturers like Samsung.

I highly doubt Samsung will bother with more than one major update for the galaxy before they move on to something else. Coby is just a cheap knock off.

I think the BB tablet and the HP tablet may have some followers. The main problem with both of those options are apps. Apps are what make the device Useful, fun etc. and Apple has those.

BB and HP will release with a very small selection of apps compared to the iPad.

(And, with the BB option, it tries to tie to you owning a sucktastic BB phone as well? Not happening)

If I were to buy a tablet, which I don't see myself doing in the near future, It would be the ipad2.

7" screens are too small and I wouldn't buy anything from BB. That leaves the Hp tablet. I really like the look and feel of Web OS, and on a tablet it would likely be "cool", but it won't have an app store like Apple iTunes. ( yes, it will have an app store obviously, it just won't have near the apps quantity of iTunes)

Just like WP7 phones have a great OS, but the Marketplace lacks in a big way compared to Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 215
    I thought Apple needed to look at a 7" form factor until I checked out an iPad in the flesh. It is the correct size in that it's not nearly as large as one might imagine. Smaller doesn't make sense just as 9" netbooks have proven to be lousy laptops.

The competition has been done in by one element of the iPad that doesn't get nearly enough ink. Apple is offering a $500 10-inch tablet while the competition can only approach that price by reducing their devices down to a 7" screen form factor.

The perceived value of iPad 2, which I suspect is weeks away from being released, will be even more of a challenge for the competition.

Bottom line is, making the iPad is a fine accomplishment but making the iPad a 10" device checking in at a starting price of $500, incredible. The competition is reeling and might never recover.
  • Reply 6 of 215
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Really? Vaporware? They just announced their tablets like a week and a half ago.

Daniel, this is a news site. Regurgitating old headlines every time Android is mentioned is again, kicking a dead horse.

Why don't you go over to an Android fan site?
  • Reply 7 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Maybe sprockkets above you?

Would it surprise you if I told you I want an ipad 2?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Uh, where did I say I like Android?

Did you see other sites report the earnings call with

"The iphone4 also caused major controversy by its antenna design which causes severe signal attenuation by holding it wrong. Many were unhappy with the solution of case bumpers.

Apple also had major issues with the proximity sensor, where it would not properly turn off the screen and buttons causing dropped calls.

While the ipad is off to a strong start, it also had issues overheating, even when the outdoor temperature was nowhere near 95f.

The debut of the macbook air also was not without issues, as many complained about wake up issues.

Steve's health is also questionable..."

See my point? It's old news. Stop beating a dead horse.
  • Reply 8 of 215
    Interestingly enough, I do not think that Cook took on the Blackberry Playbook. I think that despite its 7" screen, the Playbook represents a serious challenge to Cupertino's domination. Well, not so much a challenge to their domination as a challenge to their unbelievable marketshare.
  • Reply 9 of 215
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,189member
    Tough talk. The message I get is that Cook might not be wearing the "interim" moniker for very long.
  • Reply 10 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addressing potential competitors of Apple's iPad, Tim Cook said he has "no concerns" about the the tablets being shown running Microsoft's Windows and Google's Android platform, specifically calling out existing Android offerings as "bizarre" while dismissing future models as vapor.

Cook, who serves as Apple's chief operations officer, first described tablet products running Windows as being "big, heavy, expensive, weak battery life, and need a keyboard or stylus," noting that customers have shown no interest in the products.

A second group of tablets Cook characterized as running a version of Android that "isn't designed for a tablet," adding that Google itself had stated this, and that it wasn't just the opinion of Apple.

I am SO glad to see him coming out swinging! He needs to put Android in its place. Go Tim!
  • Reply 11 of 215
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Tough talk. The message I get is that Cook might not be wearing the "interim" moniker for very long.

He's not wearing it now.
  • Reply 12 of 215
    Quote:

My company cannot use an ipad, pretty much ever. Can't support the apps, background processes needed and isn't rugged enough for my line of work.

Yup, uses a stylus. But I doubt Tim Cook tried this type of stylus input. The stylus input on this tablet of mine is very intuitive and works perfectly for windows tablet edition.
  • Reply 13 of 215
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

My company cannot use an ipad, pretty much ever. Can't support the apps, background processes needed and isn't rugged enough for my line of work.

Yup, uses a stylus. But I doubt Tim Cook tried this type of stylus input. The stylus input on this tablet of mine is very intuitive and works perfectly for windows tablet edition.

I am interesting in knowing what type of apps and background process the iPad can't handle?!

I use a stylus with my iPad for sketching. So the iPad can handle that type of input.
  • Reply 14 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

I do hope this is bravado, and that internally Apple is taking their competition extremely seriously.

We really don't need to relive the 1980's and early 1990's.
  • Reply 15 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggarthomas View Post

Interestingly enough, I do not think that Cook took on the Blackberry Playbook. I think that despite its 7" screen, the Playbook represents a serious challenge to Cupertino's domination. Well, not so much a challenge to their domination as a challenge to their unbelievable marketshare.

I doubt it. Even Google's honeycomb seems tainted. They focus on the homescreen more than apps. Quite the stark difference compared to Apple which focuses on apps more than the homescreen.

The biggest challenge I see for the iPad is HP's Slate or PalmPad, whatever it's called. WebOS is a great piece of software. Although we haven't seen it yet, I have a feeling they copied Apple's approach and scaled their phone os up to tablet size. Which is a good thing. Honeycomb bares little resemblance to the current Android.

Lucky for Apple but unfortunate for HP is they seem to have a hard time getting their products released in time. Apple's development cycle tends to lap everyone else. By the time they release their product Apple is readying their next model.
  • Reply 16 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have to agree with sprockets on this one. AppleInsider has good rumor reporting, but its analysis pieces are totally one-sided, pro-Apple, spin and propaganda. I guess this is good business sense, for a website that has an apple-fan reader base, but it's over the top.

For example, the dismissal of 7-inch tablets (which IMO have a niche among mobile users who want more than the smartphone experience) mirrors and amplifies Apple's FUD on the topic, and its articles on Android caricature the competition.

N.B. This coming from a confirmed member of the Apple faithful (Mac only since my PowerMac 6100, said a prayer for Steve the other day)
  • Reply 17 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I am interesting in knowing what type of apps and background process the iPad can't handle?!

I use a stylus with my iPad for sketching. So the iPad can handle that type of input.

Sure. But can your screen track the stylus without it even touching it? Can it tell when I am right clicking? Mine can.

Anyhow, to run our software it would need an sql database running in the background, a web server, which talks to our main database, while the tech talks to that database via a web browser. It's done this way so that when a call is dispatched it comes all loaded in locally, thereby allowing it to work if I lose WWLAN.

Does everyone need something like this?

http://www.xploretech.com/ProductsSu...4c4series.html

No.

The iphone also cannot be used as a Direct connect phone either. so that eliminates that for us too.
  • Reply 18 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypercommunist View Post

N.B. This coming from a confirmed member of the Apple faithful

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck,
  • Reply 19 of 215
    Quote:

Ones that are afraid of losing their jobs. Keep buying junk that needs lots of tech support. It's called self preservation. Microsoft has relied on this strategy for years.
  • Reply 20 of 215
    Quote:

Yes actually it's vapor if you can't buy it now. Three months from now (if that's really when these products become available) they will be competing with whatever Apple has out then (Apple's vaporware today - iPad 2).