What a great story!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Worth the read....

<a href="http://www.msnbc.com/news/785322.asp"; target="_blank">http://www.msnbc.com/news/785322.asp</a>;

Fellowship

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    Why is this in fireside chat?

'cause one said it was a miracle?

You want to talk about miracles?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matvei:

<strong>Why is this in fireside chat?

'cause one said it was a miracle?

You want to talk about miracles?</strong><hr></blockquote>

matvei I simply think it conveys a message about what is great about the human spirit...

All differences aside...

Fellowship
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Should be in AppleOutsider, don't you think?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Jeez-louise, people. It's a good story. Granted, it should probably be in AppleOutsider (actually, there's already an active thread on the Pennsylvania miner rescue there), but this is hardly an affront or horrible thing.

At worst, it's a thread in the wrong area.

Relax. Some of you people are so foamed-at-the-mouth about religion and Fellowship, that even the most innocuous post about a genuine feel-good story sets some of you off.

Grab the reins for a little while.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I believe I was quite civil and courteous.

My questions were genuine.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    David Hume the British Impirisist wrote an excellent essay on Miracles.

In it he basically shows that we know the world only through sense data, and that we can not really tell for certain that one moment is truly linked to another through the causes which we infer from effects out of habbit, so, we can not truly ascribe coherence to the world beyond habbits and fictions. . . he goes on to show that his means that miracles are in fact possible . . . but mainly, as everything allready has a status outside of our explanatory capabilities, all things are allready on the same par as miracles, but miracles seem extremely extraordinary. . . .

phwew....well.... I can't treally remember how he argued it, so I kind of guessed from memory . . . .

anyway yes, that is a great story and really made me feel good . . . I was really thinking about them . . . and th enews anounced . . . "jpirnalists on the scene in Pennsylvania confirm that.... (prgnant pause, while i get ready to sigh for terrible news) that all 9 miners are alive" what a relief!! and unusual in this world it feels like.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Man, this came out just as I was thinking of an alternative to my optimistic signature.

I'm probably one of the older guys around here, and I sure can't remember another year that compares to this one in terms of just non-stop hammering tragic national news stories.

I shed a tear watching the coverage, but it was more a feeling of relief than joy. Not just for the lives of the miners but us as species. SOMETHING finally turned out right!

Jeff