Connection Macbook Air to HDMI on tv

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Can someone please help me with a question concerning what cable/cord I need to connect a brand new Macbook Air SSD 128 gig hd to our LCD tv. We like Hulu.com and would like to watch movies through our Macbook to the television connection. Thank you for all you help in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    a mini display port to hdmi female dongle.

apple doesnt make one, but you can get a high quality one from moshimonde.com or griffintechnology.com
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oakie View Post

a mini display port to hdmi female dongle.

apple doesnt make one, but you can get a high quality one from moshimonde.com or griffintechnology.com

Or one that does exactly the same thing for a third of the price from monoprice.com.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by question View Post

Can someone please help me with a question concerning what cable/cord I need to connect a brand new Macbook Air SSD 128 gig hd to our LCD tv. We like Hulu.com and would like to watch movies through our Macbook to the television connection. Thank you for all you help in advance.

As the others have said just get a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adaptor. You'll want to make sure you get one of the ones that carry Audio as well as video. Many of the cheap adaptors are video only.

One Example from Amazon

For those with earlier MiniDisplayPort Macs (i.e. mid-2009 13" MBP) you need audio connection seperate at the Mac end:

MDP - HDMI w/USB Audio

regards

mrtotes
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I had a 2009-MBA connected to an RCA HDMI tv via a miniDVI-to-HDMI connector. It worked perfectly.

I recently switched to a new MBA-2011 with thunderbolt and I read I could use the exact same connector. It works but:

a. the image if I recall correctly, seemed much better on my old MBA, which shouldn't be.

b. my screen on the tv is not sized correctly and doesn't fit. I can't see the left or right edges of my computer screen on the tv. Each side is about 10-20 pixels short.

any ideas?