New Apple iPhone 'two is better than one' ad promotes Verizon, AT&T

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Just days after Verizon launched its first iPhone ad, a new TV spot from Apple for the iPhone 4 highlights both Verizon and AT&T with the pitch "two is better than one."

Set to the iconic Blue Danube Waltz by Johann Strauss, the ad displays two iPhone 4s side by side simultaneously tapping, scrolling and pinching their way through various iPhone apps and features, including Facebook, FaceTime, iBooks, Safari and the App Store. The two handsets are then moved away to show the AT&T and Verizon logos before the line "Two is better than one" is displayed.

The advertisement comes on the heels of a Verizon iPhone 4 teaser countdown ad, which never shows the iPhone 4, opting instead to build anticipation by displaying clocks ticking and people waiting eagerly.

Verizon is expected to put major "marketing muscle" behind the iPhone 4, at the expense of competing Google Android smartphones, according to one analyst. Shaw Wu of Kaufman Bros. said earlier this month that checks with industry sources suggest the largest wireless network in the U.S. will make a big push to promote the long-awaited arrival of the iPhone.

Ads promoting the new partnership between Apple and Verizon are an about-face from previous commercials that sought to tout Verizon's Android smartphones as superior to the iPhone on AT&T. In 2009, Motorola and Verizon teamed up to promote the Motorola Droid handset with an ad campaign that suggested the iPhone was feminine and highlighted perceived weaknesses in the iPhone with the tagline "iDon't."

Verizon and Apple will launch the new CDMA iPhone 4 on Feb. 10 for a starting price of $199.

For a comparison of Verizon's current Android smartphone offerings with the new iPhone 4, see the AppleInsider feature:

iPhone 4 and iOS vs. Android on Verizon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 124
    Yo Baby.
  • Reply 2 of 124
    3 or 4 would be better... but it's a good start.
  • Reply 3 of 124
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    So when is Verizon rolling out the "DROID DID" commercials?
  • Reply 4 of 124
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

3 or 4 would be better... but it's a good start.

I dunno. Would adding Sprint and T-Mobile really add that much?

What % do Verizon and ATT command?
  • Reply 5 of 124
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Are we about to witness Verizon drop Android like a hot potato? I'm sure they're sick of all those BOGO deals.
  • Reply 6 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

About 186 million in the US.
  • Reply 7 of 124
    Quote:

Together, I think they represent about 65-70% of the US market.
  • Reply 8 of 124
    I notice they avoided using data and voice simultaneously...

Oh I'm such a b**ch

I kid VeriZon, I kid cos I...Well cos it's what I do. I honestly don't care about your inferior Network features, I'm in the UK rocking the Hutchison 3G network.
  • Reply 9 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

About 186 million in the US.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Together, I think they represent about 65-70% of the US market.

Thanks. Yeah, I figured it was around 2/3.
  • Reply 10 of 124
    Quote:

Yes it would add much in terms of competition over iPhone pricing plans. Sprint and T-Mobile are the only major US carriers who offer anything interesting in that aspect.
  • Reply 11 of 124
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    I guess this ad begs the question: which Android models are available on both AT&T and Verizon?
  • Reply 12 of 124
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

Love, love, love that they showed Hitch-22 in iBooks

Good catch. I'd missed that after two times watching. It's a fantastically humane advertisement, in so many ways.
  • Reply 13 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Yes it would add much in terms of competition over iPhone pricing plans. Sprint and T-Mobile are the only major US carriers who offer anything interesting in that aspect.

I meant from Apple's p.o.v. Seems to me that if they are on the two largest carriers who control ~2/3 of the market, it's probably not a huge advantage to them. That is, unless I totally misunderstand Apple's business model; which I will admit could easily be the case.
  • Reply 14 of 124
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

I meant from Apple's p.o.v. Seems to me that if they are on the two largest carriers who control ~2/3 of the market, it's probably not a huge advantage to them. That is, unless I totally misunderstand Apple's business model; which I will admit could easily be the case.

Sprint will come eventually since it requires no further hardware development for Apple.

I expect Apple's next moves to occur in Asia: China, India and NTT Docomo in Japan.
  • Reply 15 of 124
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Advertisement is excrement. All of it.
  • Reply 16 of 124
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Just like your post.
  • Reply 17 of 124
    Quote:

[edit: suppose I take this seriously enough for a tiresome diatribe like the following. He got me at 2 a.m., the Bohemian hour, what can I say . . .]

I seem to remember having similar thoughts at the end of the sixties, when Marcuse and the radical ecological anarcho-syndicalism of Murray Bookchin were in the air we breathed.

Later I came to realize that Nature uses advertising, because evolution is fueled by desire: both males and females advertise to get . . . etc., you can supply examples, like flowers advertising to get pollinated.

So 'advertising that furthers evolution' might be considered a justifiable although seemingly wasteful expenditure, because it sustains the joy of life enough to further cultural and intellectual progress.

The 'Think Small' Volkswagen campaign in the late-fifties U.S. sold us on a 1900-pound car at a time when American cars were notably obese, probably weighing on average around 3500. For a while I think VW had 10% of the U.S. market; I'll check if anybody cares. They made way for BMWs and Japanese cars in the 70s, and Americans almost got generally smart about their personal transport (the way the rest of the world has been so much better at for so long).

But then 'bad anti-evolutionary advertising' gained back the upper hand, the obesification of America came back with a vengeance, and that's where we mostly stand today. In 1984 Ridley Scott and Apple and Chiat/Day started something new with their Macintosh manifesto, and that's what's still under examination right here. I think it passes as pro-evolutionary.

So not what you call it, but fodder for growing human consciousness. But again fueled by some vanity and narcissism, just like nature.
  • Reply 18 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Just like your post.

Maybe I agree with this too. We'll see.
  • Reply 19 of 124
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Well, obviously you'd be the expert on that .... judging by your post.
  • Reply 20 of 124
    Anyone notice that they didn't do a Safari page load time comparison but just a double-tap to zoom?